• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Kelso Roughwear 23380 Review

B-Man2

Greg
Looking at your photos above, I now realize that the image in my mind of what I think I look like when I wear an A2 jacket has been a complete and total fantasy …. There’s no way an old , overweight guy like myself could ever look the way you do in those photos. D’Mitry was spot on . You look like a trim WWII fighter pilot of the 1940s era.
But … the good news is … that in about a week or two I’ll probably forget about your photos and once again fantasize that I’m looking trim and young in my A2 again. ;)

Last edited:

Grant

Great looking Kelso and M37's! The M1937 wool combat trouser is also a favorite of mine in cooler weather. The extremely high rise and full cut make them very comfortable. The early version came with bakelite suspender buttons that make them even more easy wearing with suspenders.

Grant

Any recommendations on a source for them, @Grant or @Greg Gale?
Are you looking for reproduction or originals? I have zero experience with reproductions but originals pop up now and then on eBay and vintage shops. If you're interested in original I've managed to collect several pairs and need to pair down. Let me know what waist size you need!

Greg Gale

Mines are from Kay Canvas they’re ok but not great. That’s why I’m also interested in replacing them one day. Heard good things about ATF’s. WWII impression’s are even better but pricey

Grant

Greg inspired me to break out a pair of wool combat trousers that pre-date the M-1937 by a couple years. Being a New Yorker, I dig that they were made here back in 1935! Oh, sorry about the crazy hair - in dire need of a haircut.
M1.jpg
M2.jpg

B-Man2

Greg inspired me to break out a pair of wool combat trousers that pre-date the M-1937 by a couple years. Being a New Yorker, I dig that they were made here back in 1935! Oh, sorry about the crazy hair - in dire need of a haircut.
View attachment 108635
Grant
The pants look great great and the jacket looks friggin awesome . I know you’ve posted that before but please tell us a little about it again .

Grant

Grant
The pants look great great and the jacket looks friggin awesome . I know you’ve posted that before but please tell us a little about it again .
hey Burt,
Apologies for hijacking Greg's thread, but the A-2 is an Eastman Monarch Jerome Urbaniak painted using lead based enamels reproducing a 320th BG/441st BS A-2 I always admired.I asked Jerome to use enamels so the art would chip and wear much like originals did over the years.

MONARCH1.jpg
MONARCH2.jpg
M5.jpg

Dany McDonald

Enamel will tend to look and react more accurate for 1940's/50's re-creation, than acryl paint. The way it oxidizes or yellowing looks more real.
You can play with the process of faking aging by exposing the painted area to ammonia in small quantity, at your own risk.

What I am trying to say is old enamel jar (better) or new will do a good job for jacket art and yours (as always) is very nice Grant!

Off the stool...

D

caddyd

Outstanding ~ That Eastman duplicates the collar, large pocket flaps and color of an original Monarch perfectly.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (70).jpg
    s-l1600 (70).jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 97
  • s-l1600 (74).jpg
    s-l1600 (74).jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 99

B-Man2

kev15

Congrats Greg, beautiful jacket!

For a while I was already set to order a russet A-2, first a Platon Dubow mostly because of its affordable price tag. While I was trying to exchange emails last year the non existent communication kept me back for good.
I was always amazed by the Bill Kelso jackets that I only saw on photos, however recently I've seen one up close in Texas. After my encounter I felt that I exactly know what do I want. Greg's great photos and detailed description in this thread assured me that it's finally time to pull the trigger on it. I reached out to Andy about two weeks ago and since initial contact there is no answer for any emails. I understand that these are made to order that takes time, but no costumer service is something that I don't feel comfortable with. At all. Is this totally normal in this industry or is the universe trying to tell me that I shouldn't fight burning my money?

Last edited:

mulceber

all. Is this totally normal in this industry or is the universe trying to tell me that I shouldn't fight burning my money?
Entirely normal for them. BK and Platon are both pretty uncommunicative. GW is slow to respond to emails too. None of those companies have any dedicated customer service employees, so any time they spend fielding emails is time they aren’t spending making jackets. Not to worry though - you will get your jacket and it will be excellent.

kev15

I managed to place my order after all. Turns out Andy has retired, so Pete took over his obligations. We exchanged several emails and he was very helpful. The loooong patience game begins. :rolleyes: