• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Kelso Rough Wear 23380

I'm looking to make my first decent A2 reproduction purchase. I have questions about the current state of their sizing.
I have around a 42.5 inch chest and I'm roughly 5'6''. Would I be better off with a 42 or 44?
I appreciate any feedback, cheers!

Thanks for your response! I'd prefer to have a more relaxed fit as I actually intend to fly with the jacket. I sent a message off on BK's website.
I assume, if I go above a 42, that I'll have to go with a short cut as well.

mulceber

If it helps any, I have a BK RW 23380 in size 42 and the pit-to-pit on it is about 21.25". Granted, that's after it's been worn a lot and probably shrunk a bit, and it's possible that it was always a little on the small side just due to variations in manufacturing, but their listed pit to pit is 22", so even if they were spot on, that would only give you an inch and a half of breathing room.

I assume, if I go above a 42, that I'll have to go with a short cut as well.

Not necessarily. A-2s are short jackets, and I find the sleeves on my 23380 ride up something crazy when I lift my arms. If you're using it for flying, you might want the extra sleeve length. Andy will know better though.

Brettafett

I agree with what Jan said above.
I have a 40" chest at 5'10 and wear a 42 long - its a perfect fit for me. I would not say snug, nor relaxed.
I can wear a long sleeve shirt or light jumper, but nothing more.

So, I'd say a 44, or 46 for a more relaxed fit. Be careful of going too 'short'.
Best would be to measure off a jacket you already own, if possible.

You could also request a 'trimmed down' 46, they basically cut or sew within the pattern lines.
Perhaps ask about this if and win you make contact. Could be the ideal trade-off.

I appreciate the quick responses, gentlemen! It's really hard to gather data on the "real life" fit of Bill Kelso's jackets, even with some lurking on this forum.
Right now, I wear a Korean-made G1 and I would rather have more of a "heirloom" quality jacket.

Brettafett, the photo you posted yesterday of your BK 23380 is fantastic. Is that in seal instead of russet?

mulceber

Here’s russet for comparison:

70A9647D-6CCD-4659-86DD-8921148E0B31.jpeg

Last edited:

mulceber

Not at all - my chest measurement is 40” and I’m 6’1” in height. I find that my 42 is fairly fitted, and a bit short in the sleeves and waist.

Here's an update on Andy's size recommendation:
Based off my chest measurement of 107cm, he suggested a 42 or a 44 for a relaxed fit.
After sending him my full measurements (107cm chest, 128cm shoulder, 91cm waist, and a hight of 167cm) he suggested a 44.
I'll send pictures of the fit when I, eventually, get the jacket. Thanks for the help, again, gentlemen!

ikarashi shin-ichi

I ordered RW 23380 HH Liberty Russet on July 31st (UK) (⇔ August 1st in Japan). My nude size is 93 cm for the chest and 87 cm for the abdominal circumference (the shortest part). The shoulder width(the linear distance between the outer bones of the shoulder and the upper bones of the upper arm) is 37cm. Shoulder circumference is 110cm, Height is 172cm, weight is 63 kg.   Talk to Andy and the size is 40R.  But that's Not delivered yet:)o_O

ikarashi shin-ichi

I ordered RW 23380 HH Liberty Russet on July 31st (UK) (⇔ August 1st in Japan). My nude size is 93 cm for the chest and 87 cm for the abdominal circumference (the shortest part). The shoulder width(the linear distance between the outer bones of the shoulder and the upper bones of the upper arm) is 37cm. Shoulder circumference is 110cm, Height is 172cm, weight is 63 kg.   Talk to Andy and the size is 40R.  But that's Not delivered yet:)o_O
Hi Willbyerow! Have you ordered 23380? My BK RW 23380 Liberty Horsehide Russet arrived on the 24th of this month. The jacket is really great. Due to COVID-19, the lead time was 38 weeks ... In my case, as Mulceber says, the sleeves seem a little short. ···for your information.     Ikarashi Shin-ichi(五十嵐 新一 )   Apr.29 2021 17:55(JP) 
DSCN0793.jpg
DSCN0806.jpg