• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BILL KELSO N-1

dinomartino1

Well I'm not going to be cancelling even if I could source it cheaper elsewhere, that's life really, happens all the time. I was told I could have bought my Bronson B-10 a lot cheaper on Taobao as well.

Still a very nice looking jacket so why not if you want to.
Taobao buying can certainly be problematic, I am a regular user and it may compared to trying to explain the theory of relativity to a Mongolian herdsman in Urdu.
If anything goes wrong the complexity increases 10000000000000000000000%.

MaydayWei

It still looks like a very good jacket, BK should be more open about it being sourced in China if that is the case, I have no issue with that but many will, a sad reflection of our own irrational prejudices {there is one member here of Chinese nationalist heritage in his case I can understand].
Even the mention of China will send many into a fit of apoplexy so I can understand why there is no mention of that on the BK site but many BK customers will be under the impression that they are getting a BK made jacket which may not be the case.
BK only sates that their LEATHER jackets are made in Greece so by that statement they have not erred, some may consider it a sin of omission though.
The same asian model shown in Gizemos photos appears in most of their other product photos, they are not using somebodies else pictures, they are their own brand and they are the same photos BK uses with the obvious omission of an Asian wearing the jacket.

Like I have said all the facts are not known, I have provided what info I know to help others make an informed decision about whether they want to buy or not.

What you've said is spot on, I couldn't agree more.
But for as much truth as there may be about the irrational prejudices that we may have (unintentionally or otherwise) against Chinese-made products. I'd like to think that a fair few of us come with an open mind. After all, quite a lot of us are fans of Bronson and Bobdong.
However, I would suggest that a greater emphasis should have been placed by BK on the fact that they've outsourced their N-1 production. IF IT IS THE CASE THAT THEY ARE OUTSOURCING THEIR N-1s, it would be (at the very least) dishonest, if not fraudulent (in a very loose sense of the word), to fail or to omit to make that clear to the buyer.
It's important for the consumer to know exactly what they're paying for, and for them not to be acting under the assumption that its truly a BK-made product. Of course, one could argue that its the consumer's responsibility to know what they're buying, but I believe its only good business practice for a seller to be morally accountable (in lieu of legal accountability) and to make things clear for their potential buyers from the get go.

D97x7

Well here it is fresh out of the bag. First impressions I love it, feels heavier than my Bronson, the alpaca is definitely softer and less itchy also the cloth itself is quite different. Zip is nothing special but I like that the slider and keeper seem to be of the same metal, unlike the Bronson. It's got a few creases from transport but I think they'll drop out. All in all I'm rather pleased.
DSC_0855 (3).JPG
DSC_0857 (3).JPG
DSC_0859 (3).JPG

D97x7

It does feel a little heavier, but the main difference is the weave, I'm not sure of the correct terminology but the little squares are somewhat larger on the Kelso than the Bronson. I'll pop up a pic tomorrow, can't at the moment as I'm giving it a wash to knock the newness off.

B-Man2

It does feel a little heavier, but the main difference is the weave, I'm not sure of the correct terminology but the little squares are somewhat larger on the Kelso than the Bronson. I'll pop up a pic tomorrow, can't at the moment as I'm giving it a wash to knock the newness off.
Thanks Nick!

MaydayWei

Those are some great fit pics.
That's a damn fine looking jacket; and boy does it fit you spot on!
Whenever you have the time, we'd all love to hear your thoughts on how it holds up against a Bronson or a BR.
Wear it in good health!

ausreenactor

Well here it is fresh out of the bag. First impressions I love it, feels heavier than my Bronson, the alpaca is definitely softer and less itchy also the cloth itself is quite different. Zip is nothing special but I like that the slider and keeper seem to be of the same metal, unlike the Bronson. It's got a few creases from transport but I think they'll drop out. All in all I'm rather pleased.View attachment 48397View attachment 48398View attachment 48399

Is the USN stencil reflective?

Grant

Nick,
From the pics, that's one of the best reproduction N-1's I've seen yet. It looks like they did an exceptional job reproducing the jungle cloth (also called Bedford chord) shell material. If it's anything like original Bedford chord it should be very water repellent and warm, so should suite you well wearing in the UK. I've gotten caught in rain and snow in mine and it just laughs off the cold.

BTW, that's correct, the black USN stencil shouldn't be reflective.

Does the throat collar tab button behind the alpaca like originals?

N12.jpg

D97x7

Yes it does
IMG_20201201_081034.jpg
IMG_20201201_081426.jpg

Here's a few pics of the cloth difference and zip
IMG_20201201_082510.jpg
IMG_20201201_082428.jpg
IMG_20201201_082540.jpg
IMG_20201201_082315.jpg

Stencil
IMG_20201201_081141.jpg

Weight difference
IMG_20201201_082333.jpg
IMG_20201201_082352.jpg

Love the alpaca, it's much softer and it makes it easier to slip on. Got to say though, it does have a slight animal sort of smell to it, but I think that'll fade.

MaydayWei

The BK definitely looks more Chordy.
Not quite sure on specifics, but from plain sight it looks almost indistinguishable from a Real Mccoy level N-1.
Good stuff; alpaca on the BK looks very luxurious as well.

B-Man2

I'd really like to know how the BK stacks up against a Buzz Rickson N-1.
Since that would take someone having both of them in their possession, I guess we won't see that comparison anytime soon.

ausreenactor

The BR cloth is pretty close.

BR, for some reason, did a run with the stencils in a bluish tinge that was reflective? From one of Nick's front on pics I thought that BK or their maker did the same thing. Black is the go.....

Grant

After seeing Nick's Kelso N-1, I ordered the Korean War era (50% alpaca/50% wool liner) N-1 for myself. The Bedford cord shell and alpaca collar are all very well done. The only negative is the wanker brass Talon puller which I'll swap out for an original early 50's brass Talon (zip nerd). Compared to my original, it's a faithful reproduction and well worth the dough, IMHO.

N1.jpg

sparidon

After seeing Nick's Kelso N-1, I ordered the Korean War era (50% alpaca/50% wool liner) N-1 for myself. The Bedford cord shell and alpaca collar are all very well done. The only negative is the wanker brass Talon puller which I'll swap out for an original early 50's brass Talon (zip nerd). Compared to my original, it's a faithful reproduction and well worth the dough, IMHO.

View attachment 51782
How is the sizing in these jackets? The measurements look a bit big compared to a Bronson. Do they run large?