• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Kelso free jacket draw review

stanier

Hi all,

I wasn't sure which part of the forum to start this thread under so if wrong, apologies. It feels right to me in this section especially given all the conversation on BK currently.

Anyway I had the fantastic luck to win the very generous draw that BK ran earlier this year. Due to work commitments on my part, choosing a jacket and concluding sizing choice took a little while, and I decided to ask Andy to fit some patches I'd got from Sean (A2jacketpatches) late last year. I also chose to have a WWII Talon fitted. The good folks at BK have been a joy to deal with and very patient with me.

Anyway, the jacket is currently somewhere between Athens and Bedfordshire, but Andy forwarded me a link to some pics that I thought I'd share here as a start to the review. I'm really incredibly thrilled and pleased (I still can't believe my luck!) with these pics and I hope you enjoy them. It looks like a mighty fine Aero 18775-P repro to my eye! Enjoy!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 158&type=1

John Lever

Thanks for the link.
I know BK use Facebook, but not everyone may have an account there so may not be able to see the images.

stanier

Hi John, I haven't got an account with Facebook so I think the pics should show up fine for all.

Cheers

John Lever

Yes they do. I have found that usually there is a request to sign in first.
Thanks, the jacket looks superb.

bseal

I highly doubt, in fact I am certain that the images seen in the Facebook link are NOT BK's Victory Horsehide. The reason for the confidence is that we remember that you put your VH replacement A-2 order in a great deal of time before the raffle prize winner was announced. Therefore BK would have clearly given you the first right of refusal on any new shipment of VH, as they dutifully apprised you that they were at that time out of stock. We also remember that they are going to great lengths to please ALL of their customers. That's just the way they do business. . . everything above board, always.

A

Anonymous

Talked to Andy this after noon. He said Jeff's luck tanked also due to the fact that some customer had ordered a jacket and asked for a specific pocket placement. They made the jacket, but forgot all about the pocket placement, and at the time of pre-shipment inspection the mistake was discovered and so they had to make another jacket for that customer.
The original jacket is still in the shop. It is a dk seal VHH size 44 or 46, I don't remember exactly but I can check.

Moreover, one guy who had bought a Rough Wear in dk seal VHH, returned it for exchange, because he found that he didn't like the RW clown collar and asked for an Arco (Aero) for replacement. The RW is a size 38 or 40 I think and is still in the shop.

In short BK had to use leather enough for 4 jackets for 2 guys.
One other guy, gave wrong measurements so when he received the jacket the sleeves were short. BK took the jacket back and added 2 inches (!!!) length to the sleeves (replaced the sleeves). The operation was really fantastic, done using the same stitch holes.

You see, these things happen and can throw one of of his calculations.

I can show photos of those jackets if anybody interested.

stanier

bseal said:
I highly doubt, in fact I am certain that the images seen in the Facebook link are NOT BK's Victory Horsehide. The reason for the confidence is that we remember that you put your VH replacement A-2 order in a great deal of time before the raffle prize winner was announced. Therefore BK would have clearly given you the first right of refusal on any new shipment of VH, as they dutifully apprised you that they were at that time out of stock. We also remember that they are going to great lengths to please ALL of their customers. That's just the way they do business. . . everything above board, always.

I think what happened was explained here viewtopic.php?f=33&t=15412

I'm sorry for Jeff and Brian, but the jacket in the pics mighty fine to me and will be what I review and am very pleased to get!

Skip

Looks pretty sharp Stanier. Had 18775 for a bit now and its developing more character with each wear, would do a show and tell but waiting on a patch from Sean.

I reckon you'll love the hide, its even better in the flesh

bseal

stanier said:
bseal said:

I think what happened was explained here http://vintageleatherjackets.org/viewto ... 33&t=15412

I'm sorry for Jeff and Brian, but the jacket in the pics mighty fine to me and will be what I review and am very pleased to get!

Well then... :oops:

Wait a minute, wait a minute, you are not saying that your Victory Horsehide may have been paid for with blood money? No?!! :eek: :shock: :| That tends to give the term "Victory" a more Machiavellian meaning. Say it ain't so?!

Sierra Leone Blood Diamond Hide? :cry:

stanier

I'm not sure how to respond to bseal's post really! I'm not sure if I'm missing humour? I haven't chased BK particularly, and could have had a jacket some while ago if I'd engaged more rapidly with BK, and it seems an honest mistake was made in how my jacket ended up being made now.

I do feel honour bound to BK to do a review and post pics. Certainly not wanting to upset anyone who's patiently awaiting their jacket.

bseal

Stanier,

A proposed simple solution:

Jeff M's replacement jacket will be ready according to BK as early as September.

Enjoy your new prize but hold off on the review until Jeff's A-2 comes in.

EXPLANATION

This way, there is the complete avoidance of any semblance of impropriety on anyone's behalf (e.g., a jacket being made for a customer who got it for free with little wait time over a prepaid customer who was not 100% satisfied and was waiting patiently in queue for almost six months under the manufacturer's Zero Risk Purchase clause).

It is not far fetched or unreasonable to believe that an individual occupying your shoes would understandably feel duty bound to post a glorious review of an expensive free item over a customer who had not yet been completely satisfied. There has been a loud outpouring of "put jackets on customers backs so we can see the fit, tailoring, and resource management in action," which has been met with pictures of Quasimodo and cartoon chickens as rebuttal.

You seem like a true gentleman and are clearly quite honorable. Please keep in mind that your jacket came as a direct result of your membership here. Therefore we should all take charge to look after one another's feelings out of courtesy of our common bond. We are truly powerful when we love one another.

null_zps274d428f.jpg

stanier

Bseal,

Your point is taken and I am perfectly content not to post a review until Jeff has his jacket if that's deemed the consensus of the forum, I certainly had no wish to offend anyone, merely responding to the requests to post pics of BK jackets and particularly this jacket.

BTW, I am not sure that appalling and upsetting images of mutilated children; their lives wrecked by a disgusting trade actually have any parallel's to any leather jacket goings on with this forum and I don't believe I did anything to warrant that.

A

Anonymous

I disagree because staniers 'duty' to review the jacket refers to the jacket only, its quality of materials, manufacture, fit etc, not the service. Stanier has not been exactly a customer and thus should not comment extensively on the customer's experience.

On the other hand, Jeff, I am sure that he will like the jacket when he will receive it. The service he has received is another matter. He's right and I accept all responsibilities. But I am positive that he will like the jacket he will get and in the end BK will be able to satisfy him he will agree it was worth the wait. I tried hard so that Jeff and Brian would not have to suffer this, and they were the two guys I wanted BK to serve first, but you know, everything that could go wrong, went wrong. It's Murphy's law.