• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Between Eastman and Real McCoys

donsom

Eastman "Redskin" B3 - http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/eastman ... -81132.stm. The redskin is the veg tanned version as well.

-- or --

Real McCoy's B3 - http://www.realmccoys.co.nz/cat02.html (either two-tone or black)

This is what it's come down to for me. I'll be calling and speaking to each of them to enquire about sizing, etc. From Canada, Eastman is 5+ hrs time difference .. and Real McCoys is 16+ hrs (yikes). I use Skype to call from my computer, so the cost of international calls is minimal (even free if it's Skype to Skype instead of Skype to phone number).

From what I have read in my research (here and in other areas) ... both are excellent choices. I know folks have suggested "waiting for deals", but I just don't have the patience, and saving a couple of hundred bucks isn't that big of a deal to me when buying a quality item.

Thank you all for your input up to this point. Anyone have any final thoughts on which one to go with from past experiences? quality? anything?

John Lever

They both make very good B-3's. The issue will be import duty.
Have a look at my jackets -
IMGP1519.jpg

IMGP1546.jpg

borge-1.jpg

IMGP1961.jpg

IMGP1965.jpg

IMGP1935.jpg

Eastman RW, RM Perry Sprotswear. Both very well used.
Look at the very generous arm shape but tight cuffs, as per originals.

Tim P

I have owned both and i have to say the McCoys wins out for me but only to the tune of about 5-10% preference. there is so little to choose between them. with such Parity in quality the only issue to you is who can get one to you cheapest.
That said, who supplies one closest to your preference..is a maker label an issue for you.. my mccoys B3 is duo tone on a roughwear label and I always thought I would prefer monotone til I had a good look at my friends ELC monotone. I actually like the contrast. Its pocket has a deeper bellows than the ELC one I had and I love the way the trim is translucent and susceptible to scuffing despite being tough as nails. It is lovely on a frosty day when you bend your arm sharply to get a fust of warm air over your hand.
your Eastman will come with a Crown zip. the Mccoys is likely to have a Talon.
other than that, I am sure John will agree, there is very very little to choose between them.

Tim

John Lever

I think RMNZ just shades it. If you want a duo tone RMNZ size 46 then Stika [Karsten] has one for sale. It's an older type nicely softened up.

donsom

Thanks to all. And especially to John for providing the pics in this post of his B3's!

I called Eastman this morning (5am my time ... 10am UK time) and spoke with somebody there who was very pleasant and answered my additional questions and made some recommendations.

I ended up ordering the "Redskin" Rough Wear B3 jacket (veg tanned - http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/eastman ... -81132.stm). The colour of this one looks most like my first wartime jacket that I got from my grandfather.

They said that they didn't have the size 44 in stock, ... so they have to make it = 3 weeks plus one week to ship. My chest size is closer to 43, so I went with the 44 ... should I have gone larger??

With all that keeps me busy in my current life, the 4 weeks will be over before I know it anyhow .... and the jacket should arrive just in time for when the nights start to get cold enough for heavier jackets. And yes, I'll probably end up paying duty on it, but I'm used to that from all of my eBay purchases. As long as everything fits well ...all worth it.

As a side note: I used Skype (http://www.skype.com - calling via computer) and a regular headset to make the call. Calling the UK from Canada comes out to just about .02 cents per minute using Skype. Extremely cheap to say the least and the quality of the line is most always top notch.

Thank you to all for your recommendations and answers. It has helped me in my research and allowed me to make (what I believe to be) a good choice on an excellent product. :D

John Lever

donsom said:
Thanks to all. And especially to John for providing the pics in this post of his B3's!

I called Eastman this morning (5am my time ... 10am UK time) and spoke with somebody there who was very pleasant and answered my additional questions and made some recommendations.

I ended up ordering the "Redskin" Rough Wear B3 jacket (veg tanned - http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/eastman ... -81132.stm). The colour of this one looks most like my first wartime jacket that I got from my grandfather.

They said that they didn't have the size 44 in stock, ... so they have to make it = 3 weeks plus one week to ship. My chest size is closer to 43, so I went with the 44 ... should I have gone larger??

With all that keeps me busy in my current life, the 4 weeks will be over before I know it anyhow .... and the jacket should arrive just in time for when the nights start to get cold enough for heavier jackets. And yes, I'll probably end up paying duty on it, but I'm used to that from all of my eBay purchases. As long as everything fits well ...all worth it.

As a side note: I used Skype (http://www.skype.com - calling via computer) and a regular headset to make the call. Calling the UK from Canada comes out to just about .02 cents per minute using Skype. Extremely cheap to say the least and the quality of the line is most always top notch.

Thank you to all for your recommendations and answers. It has helped me in my research and allowed me to make (what I believe to be) a good choice on an excellent product. :D
Don't forget that Karsten has a size 46 RM for sale that fits like a 44.

donsom

I suppose that this may be the wrong time to ask this (after I've ordered the jacket ... in my second week of waiting) ....

When I ordered my Redskin B3, I did speak with someone at Eastman for about 20 mins., then I then placed my order (size 44) via their web store and received a confirmation number.

Now, should I be following up with them (i suppose it's just my impatience showing ;) ) ... There was never any discussion around sizing questions (like on the Real McCoys website where they go into detail) ...

Did everyone here follow-up with calls and sizes after the initial order ...?? or is it just a bit of a case of "nerves" ....

donsom

Noticed that my credit card had been charged yesterday for the purchase amount of the jacket from Eastman's, as in "...total will be billed to your credit card upon shipment."

Are you normally provided with a tracking number for shipments? If it has been shipped, then total manufacture time was approx. 2 weeks.

I think I'll get up at 5 am again and place a call to the UK (10am UK time) ... :D

donsom

I was going to order through HPC, but their website asked to first get the "Golden Book", then fill out the page in it, then fax it in, then ..... blah, blah.

So, I just called Eastman and spoke with someone there. They said that they had put up the online store just so people could order directly from them now if they wanted, and actually encouraged it.

I'm not sure about the 3%. I did call again early this A.M., and they said the jacket was going out tomorrow. I asked if he could email me the tracking code .... so I'll wait a day or so .... and then call again if I don't get an email.

Now, I'm just holding my breath on if it'll make it past customs without major duty fees. :(

It's TOTALLY hit and miss here in Canada. I've had eBay stuff go through without any charges whereas anything that comes through USMail or CanadaPost most always gets nailed.

donsom

tcwu said:
call them and Allen or Gary will give you the tracking number.
usually they won't e-mail you the tracking.
They use express mail service.
It's in a very big box.
I think you also have to pay 3% exchange fees on your credit card.
You are not supposed to order direct from ELC?
Your territory is belonged to HPA! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You should order the sweater at same time to save shipping.
Very nice sweater!

Which sweater, the mechanic's version, ... or the RAF turtleneck?? Perhaps, if I get up at 3:30 AM and call, I might make it before it is shipped ... :lol: