• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better quality needed USN Nametag

Enigma1938

Hi
I have an early type G1 55J14 jacket and need a good source for USN Nametags, especially those with the early wings on it like in ww2 or korea.
I already had two tags from Eastman but the golden letters on it started to vanish just after 2 months although I took attention that nothing rubbed over the Tag frequently.
Maybe there are ones with deepened letters instead of just printed on? Could last longer...
Thank you

Last edited:

Griffon_301

Same experience here with ELC USN tags...
I would love to get some directions for better (longer lasting) tags....

scwells

I have had good luck with Gibson & Barnes: http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-294356/Wwii-Us-Navyus-Marine-Corps-Leather-Nametag.html
BudNametag.png
CVG11nametag.png

Last edited:

Enigma1938

Thank you so far.
I ordered one set from Gibson & Barnes and one set from Mash right now. We'll see what's the better option. I think it will take between 2 and 4 weeks (Gibson was extremely slow the last time).

LJDRVR

Man, I hate to come on such a wonderful forum, filled with so many nice people like yourselves, and feel compelled to point out something that can be construed as negative:

You didn't earn those wings. Wearing them is stealing the valor of those who did and those who died trying to obtain them. If you respect those aviators and wish to honor their memories, which is what I know you guys are after, may I please, with all humility and respect, ask that you not wear something you were never entitled to wear.

Food for thought. Wear the jackets, even the squadron patches. but grade insignia and wings are poor, poor form.

Enigma1938

Well, that's your opinion and with all respect, but your point of view could also be misunderstood. It implies that no one who earned insignias the "military" way should be allowed to own them or wear them. What about collectors, what about reenactors, what about movie actors...? Should they all forego the insignia just because of a glorified idealism? I'm totally aware what our soldiers did for our countries and for us and when I want to apply a Insignia patch on my jacket doesn't it mean I have no respect for them, no on the contrary; when I wear (for example) my G1 jacket with the navy nametag on it then is it because I'm proud of the men who wore these jackets in combat and I want to honor them with authenticity and make them not forgotten. A banal unpatched undecorated jacket has not the same effect. Well, for me your opinion is exaggerated but hey, everyone can think what he wants.

ausreenactor

Man, I hate to come on such a wonderful forum, filled with so many nice people like yourselves, and feel compelled to point out something that can be construed as negative:

You didn't earn those wings. Wearing them is stealing the valor of those who did and those who died trying to obtain them. If you respect those aviators and wish to honor their memories, which is what I know you guys are after, may I please, with all humility and respect, ask that you not wear something you were never entitled to wear.

Food for thought. Wear the jackets, even the squadron patches. but grade insignia and wings are poor, poor form.

Guess we better tell the strippers to ditch the Nurse's outfits unless they have a Medical Degree...

Monsoon

you mean wings like these? I wore them for 20 years. I don’t care if anyone else wears wings, unless they are trying to get over on someone. That’s a different story.

Attachments

• F839185E-9771-474F-9F6E-B02A845E79F6.jpeg
    F839185E-9771-474F-9F6E-B02A845E79F6.jpeg
    904.3 KB · Views: 155

Enigma1938

I've read the other posts of LJDRVR right now and it seems that he has a pretty radical stance when it comes to wings...

LJDRVR

I think any reasonable person watching a movie knows that John Wayne or Tom Cruise are just playing a character. But to wear rank insignia or wings you never earned is poor form. You can rationalize all you like about respecting the men and women who actually earned them, but it's not a sign of respect when you appropriate their hard work and pretend to have accomplished something you didn't. If we followed your logic, then if I respect and want to honor medal of honor recipients, then perhaps I should wear the medal too, just as a tribute to them.

Nah. That doesn't work.

Aviators worked their asses off for a year of their lives to earn the right to wear those wings. Own them. Display them on your wall, wear them around the house if you'd like. But don't go around in public wearing the rank insignia and wings of a servicemember, unless they are yours, from your service.

Again, sorry to be disagreeable, I love the forum. But somebody has to say it. It's stolen valor.

Enigma1938

Here in Germany you can earn your driver's license with 'hard' work or you can just buy it ready in Poland. No one cares, it's just how the society works. I cannot say that no one is allowed to work on cars and wear the work clothing of a car mechanic meanwhile because he may never had a education as a car mechanic. I am a educated car mechanic and it's not poorly if anyone else without education works on his car, neither is that person a poser...And so on and so on...

It's nice that you have served but your attempt to forbid the common mob to wear military insignia for fun or 1000 other reasons is egoistic, presumptuous and way over the top. We live in an open society and everyone can do what he want. Or do you think you're special and better than the rest of humankind? Do you think that people who not served in military are lesser worth? That 'normal' jobs are not important too? A war and the military won't work without people like us!
I don't want to harm you, just to think about it.

Cocker

I can honestly understand where @LJDRVR is coming from on this one. Some people have to work VERY hard for a year, putting everything else aside to have a glimpse of a chance to graduate and earn those wings.

But appart from that, none of us is trying to pass himself as a Navy pilot, and I don't think anybody would mistake us for this. As other saids before, this is an homage, not trying to pose as someone we are not. Trying to put this on the same level as someone wearing full uniform with decorations and trying to get benefits from it is, IMHO, plain wrong.

I'd understand if some naval aviators get hurt feelings toward people trying to pass as a real USN pilot, but getting their knickers in a twist over some random guy just wearing a flight jacket with an USN name tag... Meh,get over it...

ausreenactor

I think any reasonable person watching a movie knows that John Wayne or Tom Cruise are just playing a character. But to wear rank insignia or wings you never earned is poor form. You can rationalize all you like about respecting the men and women who actually earned them, but it's not a sign of respect when you appropriate their hard work and pretend to have accomplished something you didn't. If we followed your logic, then if I respect and want to honor medal of honor recipients, then perhaps I should wear the medal too, just as a tribute to them.

Nah. That doesn't work.

Aviators worked their asses off for a year of their lives to earn the right to wear those wings. Own them. Display them on your wall, wear them around the house if you'd like. But don't go around in public wearing the rank insignia and wings of a servicemember, unless they are yours, from your service.

Again, sorry to be disagreeable, I love the forum. But somebody has to say it. It's stolen valor.

It's a qualification badge. Worth around $8 at the PX.

A gentleman in jeans and an adorned leather jacket is different to a punter in a poorly replicated uniform getting a free meal at Applebee's.

LJDRVR

I think some people just like the drama for the sake of it...

Actually, no. I really like the vibe around here and actually hesitated before I brought it up. I just felt it needed to be said. Having said it and having gotten to read your opinion of it, we can simply agree to disagree on this one simple issue.

Agreeably.

I wish everybody here the best.