• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to remove Musty smell.

Chris 55

I've just got hold of any early Wested Indy jacket but it's been stored for quite some years and has a Musty smell.
Thinking of put in a bag with cedar wood and leaving for few days.
Open to ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_20220317_205239.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 184

Silver Surfer

If it smells musty, it may have some hidden mold. Before airing the jacket out as described above, ya might want to give the jacket a once over with saddl soap, or a light soap and water wash. Don’t forget the “hidden zones”, no, not that, I mean inside the pockets, under arms, behind the collar, etc.

Micawber

Some types of unscented cat litter will absorb odours too. A mix of white vinegar and water misted onto garments will often work too but try a test patch first.

Sunshine and fresh air is pretty safe.

Adama36

Febreze/fresh air/ febreze/ fresh air

if that does not do the trick try to wash it flat in a bath tub with some woolite type of soap - dry outside on a hanger

if that's still does not do it, put your jacket in a bin with a lid on and use an ozone generator- you can find cheap ones online - have a tube that get the ozone inside the bin and get the gaz flowing for 10-15 minutes.
this link should give you some clues https://www.reconoutdoors.com/can-a...nerator,environment, including smoke and mold.

FYI: I tried all these approaches with leather jackets (and other jackets too) and they work

Chris 55

It been hanging out side for few days but last night I gave it a wipe down with saddle soap also wiped with a cloth.
I was getting quite a lot of black grime off. Today after drying it's very blotchy all over.
Any ideas further cleaning?

Attachments

• IMG_20220323_185833.jpg
    IMG_20220323_185833.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 256
  • IMG_20220323_185816.jpg
    IMG_20220323_185816.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 256

Dany McDonald

From experience Borax, will work magic with cloth or heavy cottons with mold. Borax kills mold by inhibiting its growth and spore production, which is what you need in the end. The musty odour will grow back if not totally dealt with.

I used it on vintage Belstaff jackets, that had been forgotten in humid shacks or basements and it worked well.

But never tried it on leather, so experiment on a small surface. You can also gently brush away the spots if needed.

Please share your results!

Dany

robrinay

It been hanging out side for few days but last night I gave it a wipe down with saddle soap also wiped with a cloth.
I was getting quite a lot of black grime off. Today after drying it's very blotchy all over.
Any ideas further cleaning?
On a small area out of sight rub in a bit of Vaseline using your fingers. Vaseline has lots in common with Pecard leather dressing but it’s a deal cheaper.