• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to free up frozen zipper

Stony

The golf bag I got today has zippers on the cover and the pocket, but both are frozen in place. Both seem to be in good shape and I don't see any teeth missing or anything out of the ordinary.

What is the best method for freeing them up to working order?

Thanks!

6a0aaeb2-2190-404c-bd74-57cc0c143f58-original.jpg

jeremiah

I would start with a minute amount of something like sewing machine oil or a bit of 3 in 1 oil for small electric motors.

Just to get it loose and then use a small amount of beeswax or glycerin saddle soap on the teeth.

Silver Surfer

looks like corrosion, so first try a little warm water to see if the salt loosens up. take an old tooth brush [no not the one your kid uses] and brush all of the areas in and around the puller ya can. let dry. gently nudge the puller fore and aft, and side to side. this will loosen any crap still there. next step is penetrating oil applied with a q tip so as to not get it on the cloth tape. while ya wait for the oil to work. take some 600 grith wet dry emery and run it up and down the the teeth to remove crud and deposits. about 5-6 hours after the oil application you should be able to move the puller CAREFULLY! a little at a time. if it works, then apply house hole bar soap to the teeth. if it dont, your going to have to go to the age old method of taking a hammer to it and beat the hell outta the damn thing. good luck.

jeremiah

Let us know how it turns out Stony.
Vic makes some good points but I have gotten a few frozen zippers free using my method which is also a little less invasive. You can always do more if needed.

Silver Surfer

jeremiah is right about being less invasive. with brass you will always have blackening due to oxidization, and brass tends to pick up salt deposits, thus, the initial warm water [maybe even with a little dish detergent] to see if it dissolves any salt that may be holding the puller in place. if you can get a thin piece of firm wire, you may be able to loosen, and pick any deposits out. if the puller and zipper teeth have kinda fused together, as steel will do when rusted, the penetrating oil will work. however, my go to is that ya have salt deposits and minor corrosion. be gentle, as ya dont want to dislodge any teeth or tear the zipper tape which may be compromised due to salt.

Otter

Vinegar can be quite good for loosening up deposits in cases of dissimilar metal corrosion. Remember to flush it well ! Try a little spray at automotive silicon spray to lubricate things a bit afterwards. Good luck . :)