• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best replacement zipper for repro Irvin

OperationCoffee

So I have an Irvin that will be needing a new zipper soon (fraying zipper tape at bottom) but don't know where to buy a suitable replacement. The jacket is one of Jon's (Aces High) so it would need to be silver in color , and that's all I really care about. I would even consider putting on a Hookless/Talon style. Anybody have any leads where to find one ? Thanks in advance!

mulceber

Shawn at Five Star Leather is currently getting started producing his Irvins, and he had the Lightning zipper of an original Irvin copied. Here's a picture:
lightingzippers_1024x1024.jpg

The other two companies that come to mind are Eastman and Aero, but of the three of them, I think Shawn's the one who's most likely to sell you a zipper for someone else's repro. My knowledge of Irvins is limited though, so I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for.

mulceber

Yeah, if you're looking for Irvin zippers, my understanding is that all three companies have problems: Aero's fond of really fake-looking antique brass, Eastman's got the design right, but in brass not nickel, and they've gotten into the annoying habit of putting the company name on all their hardware, instead of the original company's name. Looking at photos, Five Star doesn't have the design quite right, but they at least say "Lightning" and are the right color for you.

MikeyB-17

Aero do a nickel Waldes zip. Whether they would sell you one I don’t know. They may be more inclined to if they fit it for you-they would do a good job, but they’re busy and it is likely to take months to turn around. Maybe a job for the warmer months when you’re not wearing it. Worth enquiring.

blackrat2

Yes Aero have the Waldes zipper that looks good for sure
Ken doesn’t really post much here now but I think Denny(?) is on here now, or email Ken direct or call them, always very helpful folk, the Waldes they use looks less shiny than the image in this thread, or certainly it does on the images on the Aero site

John Lever

So I have an Irvin that will be needing a new zipper soon (fraying zipper tape at bottom) but don't know where to buy a suitable replacement. The jacket is one of Jon's (Aces High) so it would need to be silver in color , and that's all I really care about. I would even consider putting on a Hookless/Talon style. Anybody have any leads where to find one ? Thanks in advance!
Derek at Lewis Leatgers supplied AH with zips.
They are Flash zippers

OperationCoffee

Derek at Lewis Leatgers supplied AH with zips.
They are Flash zippers
Thanks John. Would you know offhand if they're the earlier model zipper or the one on Soren's (Spitfire on TFL) jacket, with the art deco stopper box and plastic reinforced tape bottoms?