• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best places in the US to look for jackets?

PilatusPilot

Hello everyone,

I live in Canada but I'm planning a little roadtrip into the states. I will be driving from Ontario Canada down to Florida. I will be following the east coast for the whole trip. So far my plan is to pass through a few of the aviation museums located on that side. I also realized that this might be a great opportunity to look for a vintage jacket. Anyone who lives on the east coast and Florida has some pointers? Where should I go to find something original? Any stores or military surpluses? I'm still planning the exact route so not sure on which cities I will be specifically. I'm also planning to drive around Florida to check out most of the beaches.

All suggestions are welcome :)

B-Man2

Hi Pilot
There are several cities along or near your planned travel route that have military bases and Air Force or Naval installations. Those areas are usually flush with Military surplus stores and vintage clothing shops which are good places to look for flight jackets . I would focus the the areas of Ft Bragg North Carolina as well as Camp Le June NC . Pope air base is co located next to Ft Bragg as well . Those areas have a number of surplus stores as well as used clothing shops just outside the base gates . Coming thru Virginia outside of Washington DC you have Quantico Marine Base. And Bolling Air Force Base closer to DC .
Up in the New Jersey area there is the old Ft Dix which has closed as a military base but is used as a training center . Once again there are military surplus stores in those areas , you just have to research the names and exact locations . Coming farther south in South Carolina is Paris Island SC Marine Corp base .
Once again military shops are located in those areas . Once you get into Florida you’re in my area which is Jacksonville and you have Jacksonville Naval Air Station which is still active and was the original home of the Blue Angles . So to recap all of these areas have military surplus shops and used clothing shops , you just need to grab a Yellow Pages or go on line and research the areas to find the exact locations of those places . Hope that helps .

PilatusPilot

Hi Pilot
There are several cities along or near your planned travel route that have military bases and Air Force or Naval installations. Those areas are usually flush with Military surplus stores and vintage clothing shops which are good places to look for flight jackets . I would focus the the areas of Ft Bragg North Carolina as well as Camp Le June NC . Pope air base is co located next to Ft Bragg as well . Those areas have a number of surplus stores as well as used clothing shops just outside the base gates . Coming thru Virginia outside of Washington DC you have Quantico Marine Base. And Bolling Air Force Base closer to DC .
Up in the New Jersey area there is the old Ft Dix which has closed as a military base but is used as a training center . Once again there are military surplus stores in those areas , you just have to research the names and exact locations . Coming farther south in South Carolina is Paris Island SC Marine Corp base .
Once again military shops are located in those areas . Once you get into Florida you’re in my area which is Jacksonville and you have Jacksonville Naval Air Station which is still active and was the original home of the Blue Angles . So to recap all of these areas have military surplus shops and used clothing shops , you just need to grab a Yellow Pages or go on line and research the areas to find the exact locations of those places . Hope that helps .
Wow thanks for such a detailed answer, I will start doing my research and save addresses for the military surplus stores around those areas! Considering I'll be doing multiple places I'm crossing my fingers that I will manage to find something cool. I'm also hoping to bring back patches. All my pilot friends are expecting me to bring something back for them too so expectations are high. I'm also debating if I should drive down to key West? But I heard it's a boring drive with not much to do at the end.

Thanks again!! I will be posting pictures of the trip and hopefully the jackets I find!

B-Man2

Wow thanks for such a detailed answer, I will start doing my research and save addresses for the military surplus stores around those areas! Considering I'll be doing multiple places I'm crossing my fingers that I will manage to find something cool. I'm also hoping to bring back patches. All my pilot friends are expecting me to bring something back for them too so expectations are high. I'm also debating if I should drive down to key West? But I heard it's a boring drive with not much to do at the end.

Thanks again!! I will be posting pictures of the trip and hopefully the jackets I find!
I lived in Key West for 5 years . The ride is beautiful and there are great restaurants along the way .,There’s also the Key West Naval Air Station at Boca Chica key . Key West is a fun place and Party Central . I would recommend you see it if you have the time . Chances are that those who told you there wasn’t a lot to see or do …….either didn’t know where to go … or … stayed too long …Let me know if you want to more info about Key West .

Last edited: