• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best M422 repro ?

Brettafett

Hi Pierre,

There are many more qualified to speak, but a couple of 'simplified' observations.

I would not say the M-422s or G-1s are 'warmer' than A-2s, that said the fur collars on the NAVY jackets certainly adds a level of warmth when theres a wind chill out.

And that would be the consideration. Navy/ Marine pilots would generally be operating at sea, off carrier decks where it was windy, wet etc...
(Over-simplifying I know, Marines were often based off islands... And the Pacific was often so hot & humid, pilots didn't wear their leather jackets that often. North Atlantic another story)

Goat generally holds up better in moist climates and the mouton collar would keep the windchill at bay (most A-2s made with horsehide, but many also made with goatskin & cow hide)

Besides the fur collar, the biggest difference between A-2s and M-422A/G-1s is the bi-swing, pleated back design. Its highly functional and very comfortable to wear.

Also some smaller details...
M-422As/ G-1s have an inside pocket. A-2s did not (unless it was a modification), and M-422As had an outer pencil slot pocket,
M-422As had a rayon (comfortable) lining in shades of red or brown, A-2s were 100% cotton (there are some examples of A-2s that were given in-theatre modifications, like wool or silk...)
USN jacket tended to have a single ply waist-knit (this changed in later versions of the G-1), whereas A-2s had it double.
These jackets were very basically the wind-breakers of the time.

Basically, the Air Forces and Navy went in different directions in their designs.

pierregloom

Hi Pierre,

There are many more qualified to speak, but a couple of 'simplified' observations.

Thanks ! Even if it's simplified, it's complete and you answered my questions :D !

Apart from the historical context of the M422 worn by flying tigers, it is also its characteristics that attract me for a first purchase of an "historic" jacket.
The inside pocket is very convenient for a "daily" jacket (I have for the moment a kind of imitation "flight jacket" by Daytona 73 which does not suit me at all, but which has an inside pocket, very convenient).

And It may be a good thing if it's not a 'warm' jacket... west of France is not so warm, and it should be a good excuse to acquire a B3 for winter!
(I've been warned in my presentation I'll likely end up owning all manner of jackets :eek:...)

mulceber

And It may be a good thing if it's not a 'warm' jacket... west of France is not so warm, and it should be a good excuse to acquire a B3 for winter!
(I've been warned in my presentation I'll likely end up owning all manner of jackets :eek:...)

It might be worth your time to discuss shearling options with @Kermit3D, another Frenchman on the board (from the south, if I recall), since he seems to have concluded that a B-3 would be too warm for his climate. For that reason, he ordered a B-6.

Just pointing you toward an additional resource. :)

Last edited:

Brettafett

Ha! You dont need to find an excuse to get a new jacket... Definitely a shearling jacket would be a good option for those colder days also.

West of France is lovely btw. I used to spend some time there in the past... Cant wait to go back.

The M-422A and G-1 designs are very comfortable and practical jackets to wear. That bi-swing back makes it so easy to move around in, whereas A-2s can be a little restrictive in some cases.
If you layer with a light sweater or fleece, you can wear in the dead of winter. At least I can and have.

I pretty much wear my A-2s and USN jackets year round. When it get really cold, my B-10s and B-15 work perfectly (unless it pouring with rain of course)

Fo me,

B-Man2

If I can add to the excellent advice you’ve gotten from all of the above members, a military mechanics 5 button 100% wool sweater under either jacket looks great and increases the warmth factor of both jackets, the A2 and the 422a or G-1 . You can purchase one from Amazon for about $29.00 .
03AC2A3D-238B-4535-A4AF-52F7E23EADE4.jpeg

Lord Flashheart

All good advice there Pierre. It'll be interesting to see how AVI's offering pans out. I've an ELC 55J14 and with the bi-swing back and internal pocket I do think the Navy got it right in design terms. I can vouch for the Switlik M-422 repro that Dave Sheeley builds and that's a fine addition to my stable.

I suspect a mouton collar might feel a tad warm on a really hot day without any breeze but then you probably wouldn't want the jacket anyway on a day like that. Great on an aircraft carrier at sea I bet though and tolerant of layers underneath as you say. A very practical jacket and as Brett says very comfortable to wear and I too rotate mine most of the year.

I don't recall seeing what a contract price was for USN jackets compared to the USAAF jackets but I'd imagine inevitably more expensive with these sorts of detail and probably the volumes the USAAF wanted will have made a difference to price too.

mulceber

If I can add to the excellent advice you’ve gotten from all of the above members, a military mechanics 5 button 100% wool sweater under either jacket looks great and increases the warmth factor of both jackets, the A2 and the 422a or G-1 . You can purchase one from Amazon for about $29.00 . View attachment 68710

Yep, just got a military surplus one myself on eBay. I got it for about $40 shipped, but could have gotten it for about $10 if I’d been willing to accept acrylic yarn instead of 100% wool.

MaydayWei

Yep, just got a military surplus one myself on eBay. I got it for about $40 shipped, but could have gotten it for about $10 if I’d been willing to accept acrylic yarn instead of 100% wool.

A truly hidden gem we should add to the 'bargain basement' thread.
I got two 1985 NOS 100% Wool ones for 20 USD a piece.
They look almost identical to the WW2 5 button sweaters, with all the authenticity, at a fraction of the price!
An awesome recommendation, all in all.

mulceber

Yep, the design scarcely changed from the 1940s until…I dunno when - the ‘90s? ‘00s? The present? o_O The only change was that at some point in or after the ‘80s, they switched to acrylic thread. Really is a piece of clothing worth acquiring.

Last edited:

ZuZu

Hate to be super prejudiced but there's only one M-422 jacket in the GREAT category. Good Wear leather's M-422 jacket done in the correct leather (floppy dark seal or floppy brownish seal) will look as close to an original as you can get in 2023. All the other makers have little annoying mistakes, bad mouton or stiff unrealistic goatskin. If you want a Flying Tigers clone the closest you'll get is Good Wear. More than an IMO- there's no doubt!

WG_M422_Jacket.jpg

pocket.jpg

talon_zipper.jpg

Better to buy a tide-me-over Brill Bros. or Star and then wait for the Good Wear. IMO

Grant

Hey ZuZu, dark seal hides are not universal for every M422 contract.
My original W&G M422 has russet brown goatskins that have a translucent aniline looking finish. Just sayin!
The brass Talon zip is a nice touch though!

ZuZu

Hey ZuZu, dark seal hides are not universal for every M422 contract.
My original W&G M422 has russet brown goatskins that have a translucent aniline looking finish. Just sayin!
The brass Talon zip is a nice touch though!

Yes- I know! That's why I put "...floppy brownish seal..." too! I had a little W&G that looked kinda russety as you say. In those color photos of the Flying Tigers (and yes- I know the camera's a lying bitch:p) the jackets look quite dark.