• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best forum for repro WWII uniforms and favorite vendor?

ausreenactor

B-13 is only done by WPG and the pockets are all wrong. On sale from memory.

WPG do WWII USN stuff...

USMC WWII dress blues are blue and not black. No pockets vs four.

Army has gone back to WWII style stuff. So the assumed valor (most with grievances about 'stolen' valour rarely deployed or were med discharged and have a bug up their butt, clinging to their brief service)

Most serving members can spot a wannabes from a mole away. 'Applebee's' is the preferred haunt, not a period themed dance event. The Veterans would be jealous of your moves and wish they had your bravado.....

dinomartino1

For affordable army and navy denim jackets and jeans I would recommend Bronson and free shipping on orders over $99, also some very good for the price cloth flight jackets but they are maybe not what your after.

chinos

Sometimes when the bronson store is sold out these aliexpress stores also stock bronson and of course but dearer ebay

Navy. Just get modern items... most won't know the difference. I thought you meant the real Armed Services? ;)
You’re not wrong, it’s just the silhouette really does read differently. The Melton wool WWII ones were much slimmer in the pant with a larger bell. The materials are obviously different too but yeah, that’s not that overt. And hey, who more than a VLJ member would understand the desire to get it 20% more authentic?! ;)

ausreenactor

Appreciate that...

For certain things I can abide some subtle differences or flaws. I have LOTS of original US Army dress jackets. Ike and Class As. Same with USMC stuff. Most of my field uniforms are reproduced except for the shirts which are mostly original items bought cheaply decades ago. Still have a 15-33 OD shirt with cutter tags somewhere.

My bent had been US WWII for 35 years...

20200819_154510.jpg
20200819_154527.jpg
20200803_205254.jpg
20200725_110858.jpg

dinomartino1

Another thing to consider with usn enlisted blues and whites was that it was very common for sailors to get them taken in to be as close fitting as they could get, totally authentic look if you have the right body type.

MauldinFan

Just like any supplier, some do certain things better than others. And there's the issue of what's liked more than what's accurate. For example, ATF's fleece-lined tanker jacket is much beloved but others are more accurate historically.
Then, there's the issue over hw some folks think that only the high-dollar repros are worthwhile. I have seen more than a little of that here.
I currently post on TFL and US Militaria with any and all uniform questions. Have any other recs? Am I missing a big one??
I'm NOT fan of the US Militaria forum, there are a lot of real jackwagons who think they're Mars-God of War who have a very limited grasp on the subject.
Any forum which ran off John Gawne (who is arguably the best source of info for anything GI-related) should give you an idea how the 'chosen few' get to make all the calls.

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Just like any supplier, some do certain things better than others. And there's the issue of what's liked more than what's accurate. For example, ATF's fleece-lined tanker jacket is much beloved but others are more accurate historically.
Then, there's the issue over hw some folks think that only the high-dollar repros are worthwhile. I have seen more than a little of that here.
I'm NOT fan of the US Militaria forum, there are a lot of real jackwagons who think they're Mars-God of War who have a very limited grasp on the subject.
Any forum which ran off John Gawne (who is arguably the best source of info for anything GI-related) should give you an idea how the 'chosen few' get to make all the calls.
Used to be a frequent visitor but haven't looked in quite some time.