• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best current 5* A-2

I’m ready to purchase a new A-2 for reenacting and Five Star is where I plan to go, I’m wondering what everyone thinks is the most accurate current offering from them? So far it seems like the Dubow is a very nice repro, but which hide and cuffs would be best? Or would another contract be better? Thank you for any advice!

Blackboxr1200S

I mainly collect, not reenact WWII but do like the A-2 jacket.

This is a 5* seal HH 1939 Werber Sportswear I've been enjoying for a while now, and expecting a goatskin Dubow to be delivered in the coming weeks.

IMG_20230303_133409.jpg

CBI

FS is still very variable in terms of what you get but I have seen photos of a number of their Roughwears that do have the RW look. If I had to order today, I would get an RW. Their Dubow is also excellent but I have seen some pics of even recent ones that don't look so great. OK, I admit it, I am NOT a Dubow fan......never liked the pointed collar tips or pouchy cut........................

WingAndaPrayer

The FiveStar Dubow has baggy arms. I know the top of the sleeve is bigger, but it doesn’t really taper down. I’ve had 2 dubows that I moved on in part because of the ballon arm. The Poughkeepsie is a nice comfortable pattern. I think it’s copied from an original as well. I liked mine but the seal steer hide was closer to a faded black then brown.

FS is still very variable in terms of what you get but I have seen photos of a number of their Roughwears that do have the RW look. If I had to order today, I would get an RW. Their Dubow is also excellent but I have seen some pics of even recent ones that don't look so great. OK, I admit it, I am NOT a Dubow fan......never liked the pointed collar tips or pouchy cut........................
On the RW that are off, what are you seeing? Is it something I can email Shawn about to make sure is ok on mine If I order one?

CBI

all I can say is that is that looking at pcs of people's 5 Star RW's, some look pretty spot on (from a few feet away) and others look way off, looking like cheap modern A-2 copies. Go onto the 5 Star Facebook pages and find a photo of the exact jacket you want if you can and say "I want it just like this one" that you are buying this for reenacting so accuracy is an issue. I wonder if some of his jacket makers are better at the details than the others. Shawn has done an amazing job putting all of this together in such a short amount of time......................... Sorry I can't give you more specifics but I have never really looked into 5 Star A-2's in super detail.

WingAndaPrayer

When are you trying to buy one? Jay at headwind said they’re coming out with a budget line of original pattern A-2s starting in April, the first being an aero 18779 and Knopf. They will supposedly be more accurate and better material quality then FiveStar per the information provided to me.

mulceber

When are you trying to buy one? Jay at headwind said they’re coming out with a budget line of original pattern A-2s starting in April, the first being an aero 18779 and Knopf. They will supposedly be more accurate and better material quality then FiveStar per the information provided to me.

I would wait to make sure Jay's past issues with delivering the goods have been rectified before pointing a newby in that direction. If you aren't familiar with those debacles, @WingAndaPrayer, you might want to do a search. Suffice to say there were sales spanning multiple years where people put down money, Jay claimed he would have the jacket to them in a few weeks, and what followed was years of excuses and no jacket. Jay has said the issues have been worked out, but caveat emptor.

@Youngblood1989, have you considered AVI? They make decent Perry and Bronco repros at about the price of Five Star.

Last edited:

blackrat2

Depending on your size and budget,there have been a couple of great jackets from good reliable members posted up on the for sale section this week, Vic is selling an Aero and a Star there is also a Platoon Dubow up…assuming they aren’t all sold but there is a good size range there 42-46

WingAndaPrayer

I would wait to make sure Jay's past issues with delivering the goods have been rectified before pointing a newby in that direction. If you aren't familiar with those debacles, @WingAndaPrayer, you might want to do a search. Suffice to say there were sales spanning multiple years where people put down money, Jay claimed he would have the jacket to them in a few weeks, and what followed was years of excuses and no jacket. Jay has said the issues have been worked out, but caveat emptor.

@Youngblood1989, have you considered AVI? They make decent Perry and Bronco repros at about the price of Five Star.
I wasn’t familiar with that situation, but yeah, I would be leery of headwind now.

mulceber

No way he can reform if he isn't given a chance. But for anyone buying from him, I would find out how long your credit card will give you to demand your money back, and treat that as Jay's deadline. I'd definitely call him a higher-risk vendor.

Last edited:

MaydayWei

I've had my issues with Five Star, but for a starting point, they're still the best choice.
And, yes, its the Dubow 27798 in Goat.
That one had personal input from forum members to iron out the details; not the case with other contracts (correct me if I'm wrong).

mulceber

I've had my issues with Five Star, but for a starting point, they're still the best choice.
And, yes, its the Dubow 27798 in Goat.
That one had personal input from forum members to iron out the details; not the case with other contracts (correct me if I'm wrong).
Close: the big selling point for the Dubow is it’s the first contract where Shawn was able to take his pattern from an original. There have since been a few others: Rough Wear, Poughkeepsie, and Star, iirc.

herk115

I've recently got a Star and a Roughwear in HH from Five Star and I think they are spot on. Love them both. I have a Dubow in goat that is so-so...wearable but doesn't look all that great. Hopefully they've found some better goat. My first Five Star was a Doniger and it was, well, not good at all. It's on my "for sale" heap. The Dubow and Doniger are about four years old now, so I chalk the difference between them and the Star and RW to Shawn's learning curve. He's improving, no doubt about it.

WingAndaPrayer

I've recently got a Star and a Roughwear in HH from Five Star and I think they are spot on. Love them both. I have a Dubow in goat that is so-so...wearable but doesn't look all that great. Hopefully they've found some better goat. My first Five Star was a Doniger and it was, well, not good at all. It's on my "for sale" heap. The Dubow and Doniger are about four years old now, so I chalk the difference between them and the Star and RW to Shawn's learning curve. He's improving, no doubt about it.
Is your star on here anywhere?

I’d be interested in seeing your RW and Star as well.