• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best cleaner/restorer for goatskin jacket?

navairfan

First, thanks to all who responded to my question about cleaning the Dynal collar on my Cooper G-1. I appreciate all the great advice.

Now, I'd like suggestions of cleaning/restoring the jacket itself. The jacket is a 'blue tag' Cooper, which I think dates it to the late '80's-early '90's. Overall, it's in excellent shape, but the leather is slightly dryer and stiffer compared to my other goatskin G-1. I've read that Pecard's is a good product to restore leather, but others say to avoid petroleum-based products. I'd appreciate any thought and suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

robrinay

Lots of advice and opinions are available here and elsewhere. My view is that if it's clean but dryish then a light coating of Pecards on an old jacket but if it's fairly new like yours and or if you want to save money use Vaseline instead. Put it on with your fingers and don't overdo it. As for the earlier point here is a long thread on the subject from TFL. You'll find many more if you search on Google
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...tially-harm-them-or-weaken-the-leather.41088/

Garylafortuna

Can't go wrong with Pecards, but if you want to avoid petroleum based products, look into Renapur Leather Balsam. Made in England but have US distributors. renapur.com . A bit of trivia: leather conditioning products marketed by Harley Davidson are made by Pecards.

Last edited:

galvestonokie

Pecards works fine, but i think is better for old jackets in really bad condition. after living way abroad for a few years, in a desert climate, i found that most products for reconditioning leather car seats will work. in the past, i've been guilty of overthinking the conditioning of leather. we often try to baby them but remember how they were intended to be used. just saying...

navairfan

Can't go wrong with Pecards, but if you want to avoid petroleum based products, look into Renapur Leather Balsam. Made in England but have US distributors. renapur.com . A bit of trivia: leather conditioning products marketed by Harley Davidson are made by Pecards.
Thanks! Just placed an order for Pecard's!