• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best bronco

mulceber

They're a bit warmer, in my experience: the fur collar keeps heat from leaving through the neck hole, and the rayon lining is more tightly woven than the cotton, so it holds in the heat a bit better. I generally find the upper and lower ends of the range at which you can wear a G-1 are a few degrees lower than an A-2.

Pa12

I can see that. The collar probably makes a big difference. Looks like it could be done up tighter too.

mulceber

Not to contradict Jan's experiences, but in my own I haven't really found my G-1s warmer than my A-2s.

The mouton collar definitely adds some warmth, but the bodies seem on par with each other. YMMV.

Yeah, the lining doesn't make too much of a difference. I notice it most in warmer weather, when the texture of rayon causes it to stick to your skin the moment you start sweating. Cotton's a bit more forgiving. But I will say I can wear a G-1 from about 35 to 55 Fahrenheit without any special additions (added layers, scarves). With the A-2 that range is from 40 or 45 through 60-65. As you said though, YMMV.

Last edited:

entertainment

Yeah, the lining doesn't make too much of a difference. I notice it most in warmer weather, when the texture of rayon causes it to stick to your skin the moment you start sweating. Cotton's a bit more forgiving. But I will say I can wear a G-1s from about 35 to 55 Fahrenheit without any special additions (added layers, scarves). With the A-2 that range is from 40 or 45 through 60-65. As you said though, YMMV.
I am with Jan on this one. G-1s definitely seem better at lower temperatures. Just an empirical observation.

Chandler

Yeah, the lining doesn't make too much of a difference. I notice it most in warmer weather, when the texture of rayon causes it to stick to your skin the moment you start sweating. Cotton's a bit more forgiving. But I will say I can wear a G-1s from about 35 to 55 Fahrenheit without any special additions (added layers, scarves). With the A-2 that range is from 40 or 45 through 60-65. As you said though, YMMV.
I brought a G-1 into Chicago to a concert one January -- didn't want to carry a heavy coat into the venue... the walk from the parking lot to the stadium -- and back -- was brutal. And I had those special additions. :(

Myself, I don't wear a G-1 or A-2 below 40, just too uncomfortable for me.

Pa12

Guess it would depend on how your climatized . When it hits 40 here in the spring it feels like t shirt weather compared to the previous 4 or 5 months.

Chandler

Guess it would depend on how your climatized . When it hits 40 here in the spring it feels like t shirt weather compared to the previous 4 or 5 months.
And when it gets to 40 here in the fall it feels like N-3B weather!

Yeah, I hate that, but I do my best not to jump the gun... because I know what's coming! ;)

Pa12

Then, in the fall, hits 40 and your breaking out the parka. Especially when half the summer was 40 c.

ausreenactor

If you were looking for a 46 Bronco and considering spending $ 1200 -1300 , can I ask why didn’t you consider the vintage original Bronco 46 that was on Aero’s website today . It was in pretty decent shape and was about $1245.00 US.
It’s gone now but it was up there for about 4 or 5 hours . It was nice .
Time zones! Killed lots of hopes and aspirations for me many times....

ausreenactor

Never really looked at the bronco before. Now I’ve seen a couple I’m getting pretty horny for one.
Have a DD Bronco shipped from Good Wear. 44 in pre-shrunk goatskin. Worn once... Three years ago... After nearly five years in the box!

ausreenactor

I can see that. The collar probably makes a big difference. Looks like it could be done up tighter too.
They say the collar allowed for scanning the sky for enemy...

I contend it was for giving their 'Wingman' a wink over the shoulder!