• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best bronco

Pa12

I think I’d kick myself if I didn’t blow the wad on a gw. The world is so dark and ugly right now. If I can get one small ray of sunshine just by overspending a bit, fuck it, I’m goin for it. Only live once. And if I think back of everything I’ve ever bought, I couldn’t afford any of it.

Brettafett

I think I’d kick myself if I didn’t blow the wad on a gw. The world is so dark and ugly right now. If I can get one small ray of sunshine just by overspending a bit, fuck it, I’m goin for it. Only live once. And if I think back of everything I’ve ever bought, I couldn’t afford any of it.
Drop your GW deposit and then get an AVI (in a different colour/ hide perhaps) to tide you over.
It will also give you an opportunity to check fit and measurements of the same contract jacket. That way, when your time comes, you nail the fit 100%

Pa12

Never really looked at the bronco before. Now I’ve seen a couple I’m getting pretty horny for one.

CBI

I used to be in the "there's nothing like wearing an original" camp but these jackets are really old as and cool as they are, it looks like you are wearing an 80 year old jacket which can be pretty cool but also pretty un-cool. When these originals were worn in the day, they didn't have 8 decades of wear worked into them.

There's really no answer, both original and repros are great. Nothing worse though than wearing a convincing repro and having someone walk up to you and ask, "Hey, it that a real WW2 jacket?" ..................... "um NO". Kinda defeats that purpose...........................

whatever......................................

YoungMedic

Never really looked at the bronco before. Now I’ve seen a couple I’m getting pretty horny for one.
I will tell you from my personal experience, the bronco has high and tight arm holes and slender sleeves so certainly go up a size from your normal jacket if you don't want a lot of sleeve / back rise.

Pa12

I would just be too worried about it. I have leather goggles and such from that era, and while they look mint they’re actually quite fragile. But I’m sure my hide won’t be around 80 years after my demise ;)

Pa12

I will tell you from my personal experience, the bronco has high and tight arm holes and slender sleeves so certainly go up a size from your normal jacket if you don't want a lot of sleeve / back rise.
I noticed that on my Platon dubow. Although it was a tad too small I could feel it right up in my arm pits. I was used to my Eastman roughwear which is quite baggy in comparison.

mulceber

I used to be in the "there's nothing like wearing an original" camp but these jackets are really old as and cool as they are, it looks like you are wearing an 80 year old jacket which can be pretty cool but also pretty un-cool. When these originals were worn in the day, they didn't have 8 decades of wear worked into them.

There's really no answer, both original and repros are great. Nothing worse though than wearing a convincing repro and having someone walk up to you and ask, "Hey, it that a real WW2 jacket?" ..................... "um NO". Kinda defeats that purpose...........................

whatever......................................

Yeah, same. When I first started acquiring originals, I'd wear them 2-3 times a month. But I've gotten more squeamish with time. I'm now at the point where my more robust originals get worn a couple times a year, at most. All of the arguments that have been put forward about why it's okay to wear them are valid, but I still tend to reach for the jackets I can wear without worry or care.

B-Man2

To add to what Jan says above, I think there’s also a feeling of concern for caring for, and maintaining original 80 + year old A2 jackets of which there are only a limited number of examples left today . When you have one in your collection you try to wear it sparingly, knowing that there’s a possibility that you could catch it on something or tear a sleeve or the knits etc., so you opt for wearing the repro, knowing that if something happens to that one it’s no big deal . Oddly enough .. I don’t feel that way about original G-1 jackets ……. Strange .. wonder why .

B-Man2

Are they more plentiful perhaps?
I think that’s part of it and the fact that they aren’t 80 plus years old and as worn or degraded ( bad term but I can’t think of another right now ) as some A2’s . It’s also the fact that the Original A2’s are from a different era and war, while the G-1s were from a relatively recent era and a not so “popular” war . I think all these elements come into play to one degree or another. Also the fact that original G-1s are more accessible than A2’s and less costly to purchase. There’s probably other reasons but I just can’t think of any right now .

Pa12

I have a pair of dispatch rider goggles that I used in the Se5a. While the elastic strap looked mint, first stretch and they were shot. The goggles were to be used , not displayed, so I went about replacing the strap with new elastic strap. Pulling the stitches and re sewing was very tricky. Even though the leather looked and felt excellent, it would tear very easily. On a side note I found these goggles, mk2 style, much more comfortable and a better field of view then the later mk’s with the split lenses

mulceber

To add to what Jan says above, I think there’s also a feeling of concern for caring for, and maintaining original 80 + year old A2 jackets of which there are only a limited number of examples left today . When you have one in your collection you try to wear it sparingly, knowing that there’s a possibility that you could catch it on something or tear a sleeve or the knits etc., so you opt for wearing the repro, knowing that if something happens to that one it’s no big deal . Oddly enough .. I don’t feel that way about original G-1 jackets ……. Strange .. wonder why .

Building on that, a couple detailed points: goatskin ages better than HH, so you don't feel as bad about wearing it. I have an AN-J-3 made in 1943 that seriously looks like it's about 20 years old. Also, A-2s were made with cotton thread and lined with cotton, while Navy jackets were both sewn and lined with more durable materials, so there's a bit less of a fear that a sudden move will cause one of the sleeves to fall off. Yes, fur collars are prone to balding, but they can be replaced, and A-2 collars aren't without their own problems.

Last edited: