• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best B-10 repro?

mezz07

Buzz is now offering the L-2A with green knits. The reason these jackets sometimes have green knits is because leftover green wool from the L-2 was still around in 1950 and was used in the production of some of the first blue L-2As. Also the first B-15Cs manufactured were green and not blue because leftover green nylon and wool was still around in 1950 when the B-15C went into production.

Below I’ve attached a photo taken in 1952 at Kimpo Air Base in South Korea by a member of the 335th FS. It shows an L-2A with a green collar, cuffs, and waistband. This is obviously the original configuration of the jacket and not a field replacement (field replacements entail the replacement of the damaged part only, for example replacing ripped cuffs with an available set of cuffs that may or may not match the color of the jacket).

In this same spirit Buzz has created B-10s with nonstandard knit colors as well as B-15Cs in the past with nonstandard green knits. These colors are rare to find in extant jackets and photos but they do exist.

So I have to stick to my original opinion that some B-10 left the factory with reddish colored knits just as the L-2A below left the factory with green knits. Buzz doesn’t just make this stuff up.

2_zps24732859.jpg

1_zps7d90b03c.jpg

mezz07

Foster, thanks for all the information in your last post. I'm always weighing information and evidence. I'm not bigoted about this subject. I truly am just interested in the truth. Like I said before I don't know for sure HOW the cuffs got red, I just very much believe they left the factory that way. If they were leftover A-2 knits or if the sun somehow bleached them a different color is obviously up for debate. But your information makes a lot of sense. The knits on my Buzz B-10 are short like A-2 knits. Also the color is not bright red like on Aero A-2s. It's almost a reddish brown color. I don't know if that means anything though. But if OD green can change to a dark reddish color that's some crazy crap going on, that's for sure!

foster

I had a look at the new 2013 catalog for Buzz Rickson and one of their special offerings to commemorate their 20th anniversary is a blue B-15C with red knits. Needless to say, this also has me curious.

mezz07

There are several jackets Buzz offers that are just house creations. Their black William Gibson MA-1 for instance is not pretending to be based on an actual military jacket. Same goes for many of their commemorative jackets this year which lack military labels and contract numbers. They're interesting jackets to look at but they further confuse the situation with the real jackets that have nonstandard knit parts.

However their B-10 with berry knits and their L-2A with OD knits are contract jackets with contract labels.

stanier

Has anyone got / seen / handled an original Superior Togs B-10 at all? I can't find a picture with any colour knits.

Were Superior Togs an early contractor of the B-10? If they were I'd suggest it would be reasonable for the materials procurement people to use leftover A-2 knits and send them to ST. This seems plausible to me. The fading scenario feels much less likely, but hey who knows?

Cheers

Roughwear

Superior Togs had one contract for B-10 jackets in 1944. I have yet to see an original from this contract with Berry knits. ;)

asiamiles

mezz07 said:
Below I’ve attached a photo taken in 1952 at Kimpo Air Base in South Korea by a member of the 335th FS. It shows an L-2A with a green collar, cuffs, and waistband. This is obviously the original configuration of the jacket and not a field replacement (field replacements entail the replacement of the damaged part only, for example replacing ripped cuffs with an available set of cuffs that may or may not match the color of the jacket).

2_zps24732859.jpg
Actually, those look to me like blue knits that have lost their colour, but it's really impossible to tell for sure from an old photo like this.

Marv

Resurrecting this thread as it's a good one.........show us your B-10s pics most welcome !!!

chamboid

I'll start us off.

Buzz Rickson L.S.L Garment Co.B-10 with blond collar. 42/300 made. Now not to open a can of worms but, blond collar on an L.S.L B-10 true to contract or dastardly Buzz Bastardisation for fashionistas.

And from a couple of years ago, Eastman Roughwear B-10. Lovely jacket with soft alpaca, light and comfortable.

And not a B-10 but a Buzz Coolvinex Civilian B-15 with N-1 jungle cloth outer and Red Knits! I have seen one original in Japan on instergram, but have never seen another example. A great jacket though.

And Gordon & Furguson M-422a's did tend to have purplish knits, not as purple as some later contracts
Like the H & L Block An-6552 which has very purple knits

chamboid

Yes ignor the general background floor clutter. We moved in two months ago but still only looks like we unpacked yesterday.

Guys, I'm interested in an ELC B-10, but not sure to do a 42 Long or a 44 Long. I have a ELC B-6 in 44 and it fits pretty well, but normally I'm a 42 Long. I saw several folks saying to upsize one size on ELC B-10s. I like a fairly snug fit (the correct fit, sorta like the A-2), not a big baggy modern fit. Am I still wise to go with a 44, then? What do you guys who have them think?

Thanks a ton!
Drew

Marv

I usually wear a 46" and after discussing measurements with ELC, I went with the 46" which fits great.

Email ELC and ask for the measurements of a 42" long and 44" long and go from there, I would say that's you're best bet.

Yeah, Gary says I'm right on the border of 42 Long and 44 Long, and recommended the 44, so that's what I went with. I'm just always terrified of those over-huge modern fits!

Marv

the fit should be good, I was a little worried myself when I ordered mine but once the jacket arrived I found the fit to be spot on and really comfortable.

its more forgiving than leather so the fit is slightly trimmer without looking silly so there were no worries about the jacket looking oversized in any way, if you look at Chamboid's pic of him wearing his ELC B-10, I would say that this is typical of the fit.

I got my ELC B-10 in size 44 Long, and its perfect. I love it! I second what others said previously about upsizing; I'm normally a 42 wearer, and my 44 is perfect. Comfy comfy comfy!!! A little itchy when worn with a collarless shirt due to the alpaca, but that was expected.

Here I am in my full getup, melting in the Texas sun.... ;)

13051764_494580654081580_8973981243485788289_n.jpg

Marv

Hey Drew,
Your ELC B-10 looks excellent a really great fit, happy you managed to get your sizing issues resolved.
I've recently put my B-10 away for the spring/summer period now and switched back to my A2/G1 as it was getting a little warm here in the UK, hope you get to put some hours on your jacket before it's too hot in Texas.

Marv

As we are now in September - Autumn/Fall, soon be time to brush off the B-10 and give it some wear this season....