• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beard or no beard.... ( uuups touchy... I know...)

Pilot

I will be stoned , spit at for that...
However, Flight jacket wearers try somehow to reenact or resemble to originally owners /wearers...whatever time it is/was.
Did not see many flyers with beards... just a mustache or handle bars for the IRVIN wearers..
So... beard or no beard for flight jackets... (saw some "full Long uncut beards" as well..funny and fine with me..)
Ww2, Korea, VN period jackets...not much of untrimmed face hair...
What looks cool or uncool..in combination...especially for those who want it all as accurate as possible ..or reanacting... ( apologies ..I am far off of accurate looking and ressembling... since overwheighted, my age, frame etc.)...but but..
Not discussing in general... just in combination ( sure not easy and very private and personal...)
Stones, shots, spits... fire! sure they will all hit me in my face soon..

Last edited:

riopaulf

Im gonna’ be me, always. I have a full beard, or stubble, and have done for a long time.
Wearing a nice coat enhances the alpha male look, in my opinion. Perhaps only more elderly guys would realise the beard is not an original accessory [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Griffon_301

Same here, I am always gonna be me and most of the times it is a me with a three days beard...
Looks quite nice in combination with Redwings and flight jackets...

Originally beards where not well liked because they made all kinds of problems underneath oxygen masks and therefor pilots and flight crew were well shaven usually...

Micawber

Speaking personally: I generally have a beard, I have been known to be clean shaven and also have sported huge a handlebar moustache not that many years ago. I don't re-enact. I am me. I'm not an actor pretending to be someone else. At 60+ it would be ludicrous for me to try and pull off the look of someone in their late teens or 20's. Shows are full of wrinkly old blokes strolling around dressed as youthful wartime servicemen - that isn't for me. In all honesty I think my wife and I were stretching it when we attended '40's dances and military vehicle shows in appropriate attire back when we were in our 30's.

Clean shaven means more effective oxygen and gas masks and less irritation when wearing same for long periods. Attached a rare and interesting photo I already posted in my 91st BG H thread.

I wear various garments for their function and couldn't give a rats if I look "cool" or not. If I am going out socially or for business I'll wear something appropriate for the occasion. It's warm here in Norfolk UK today, if I were say going out for lunch, I would likely wear a covert coat, but that's not VLJ is it...

SP.jpg

Pilot

Speaking personally: I generally have a beard, I have been known to be clean shaven and also have sported huge a handlebar moustache not that many years ago. I don't re-enact. I am me. I'm not an actor pretending to be someone else. At 60+ it would be ludicrous for me to try and pull off the look of someone in their late teens or 20's. Shows are full of wrinkly old blokes strolling around dressed as youthful wartime servicemen - that isn't for me. In all honesty I think my wife and I were stretching it when we attended '40's dances and military vehicle shows in appropriate attire back when we were in our 30's.

Clean shaven means more effective oxygen and gas masks and less irritation when wearing same for long periods. Attached a rare and interesting photo I already posted in my 91st BG H thread.

I wear various garments for their function and couldn't give a rats if I look "cool" or not. If I am going out socially or for business I'll wear something appropriate for the occasion. It's warm here in Norfolk UK today, if I were say going out for lunch, I would likely wear a covert coat, but that's not VLJ is it...

View attachment 15376

Nice trim...fits under the A-14 or any other O2 life provider at altitude...no leaking...

Flightengineer

Brice, maybe it will amuse you, but 15 years ago I worked in one company, where beards were in fashion :D. There were many fully bearded flight crews. It was funny, but then this fashion passed :D. Now when every second youth tries to grow a beard, I prefer not to do it.

Pilot

Brice, maybe it will amuse you, but 15 years ago I worked in one company, where beards were in fashion :D. There were many fully bearded flight crews. It was funny, but then this fashion passed :D. Now when every second youth tries to grow a beard, I prefer not to do it.
I hope the ladies did not follow this fashion in this ...your ex. Co:)
Just out of curiosity, what was the airlines name, if I may ask?.
Thx for sharing...

Flightengineer

I hope the ladies did not follow this fashion in this ...your ex. Co:)
Just out of curiosity, what was the airlines name, if I may ask?.
Thx for sharing...

Ha ha ...No, our ladies were feminine. Conchita Wurst unpopular in my country. About airline I wrote to you in pm.

Griffon_301

It's a lot more complicated with Conchita ...
Actually he is a man pretending to be a woman with a bearding trying to look different...

Well, different things to different people...

geoff.adams.96

I think you could have a beard in the Royal Navy provided you had permission. The RAF seemed to go in for handlebar moustaches according to legend. I’m not in the military, and thankfully the Ambulance Service has no restrictions on facial hair, so the ‘tache can flourish.
View attachment 15377
In the Royal Navy you are allowed a full set but no moustache only, RAF you can have a moustache but no beard and Army same as RAF. When I served in Berlin in the early 1980s (RAF) I used to get flown about by an Army Major (choppers 7 flight), he sported the most outstanding pointy waxed handlebar moustache, the tips pointing to 10 o'clock & 2 o'clock respectively.

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

Cocker

If you want to be "period correct", no beard. If, like me, you just love flight jackets and 40's/50's clothing and don't give a damn about looking like you just climbed out of a P-47, do whatever pleases you!

Just be warned that wearing a beard with vintage clothing makes you look like a hipster to most people... :p

Pilot

Thx. for all your “pro beard” comments... enjoying them since genuine and real.
What happen to all re-enactments/ re-anactors ?...opinions please...

Last edited: