• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Bargain' Irvin

Andrew

I'd say the collar and cuffs are original. That's how the shaggy ones were made.

Yep, this is what it's worth, possibly less with the damage, but the provenance is the thing that helps. Usually there is nothing to link them to an owner.

Peter Graham

Leadsky said:
I'd say the collar and cuffs are original. That's how the shaggy ones were made.
Are you sure ? Look how full and fluffy the cuffs, collar and waist are, and a completly different colour from the body, but you know more about Irvins than I do so I'll take your word for it.

Andrew

Maybe I should've said most were made that way, as that's the way examples i've had were put together. I also haven't seen any period shots of shaggy collared types though perhaps the do exist- for sure Andrew will pull out a picture...

These are jackets i've had over the years. It appears that they lined the collars and cuffs witrh the tighter short (premium) fleece because it wears better and it can be argued it had a neater military look.

collage.jpg

On a personal level i've been looking for Irvin attributed to the RAAF but I don't like the damage at the back.

asiamiles

I like the mismatched sheepskin you find on some original Irvins eg. where the windflap is a different colour from the collar. The seller says it's fragile but it doesn't appear so from the photos - not in the way that USN shearlings are fragile, anyway - and most of the "damage" looks to be loose stitching as much as anything. I'm not sure about the "I've had it for 30yrs, so it's no fake!" claim but for 200 quid it could be a bargain. On the other hand...

Roughwear

The jacket appears to be 100% original. I have handled many mid war Irvins with a shaggy body and a closer pile collar, cuffs and waistband. Wareing jackets from this time invariably use contrasting fleece like this.

Roughwear

Here's a late war example, deep copper coloured body fleece and lighter coloured, closer pile collar. Reasons for the collar, cuffs and hem being made of shorter pile fleece were that it was more robust than the shaggy fleece and more comfortable at the neck and cuffs.

056.jpg

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
Miles, what about that mint late war Irvin you bought a while back, no pics yet ?

No, I had it delivered to HK to avoid having to pay any customs charges...I'll get to see it next month and will report back on it when I do.