• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bargain (I think) 1:18 P-47 Thunderbolt

ausreenactor

Found this just down the road for AUD$100 plus postage. Was bouncing through eBay for a Hellcat.

20190824_100546.jpg
20190824_100557.jpg

Last edited:

CBI

I'll send pics at some point. I have currently displayed in these 1/18 sizes:

P-51, Stuka, Spitfire, Bell X-1, P-40, Zero, Dauntless, Corsair, Me-262 Nightfighter 2 seater, Hellcat, FW-190 Dora, Avenger, P-47, Avenger, Mig-15 and F-86. I used to own the F-104, F-16 and F-18. The only one I have never owned is the F-14. There are 4 to 6 different paint schemes for all of these 1/18 models. I don't own them ALL of course, just one of each a/c. These mostly retailed for about $25-when they were first released as 'toys" for kids. Great models but untimately did not sell the volume to keep them coming.. There were plans for a 1/18 B-25 and B-17 that never happened.

ausreenactor

Put it together tonight. Looks like I need a bracket off a wall or something from a ceiling fan. Needs a foot and half of flat surface for the wheels alone.

CBI

they look good hung from the ceiling with fishing line. At most angles, you can't see the line so they really look airborne!!! and don't take surface space - enjoy

Smithy

That's kind of neat Couchy.

Have a go at making your own model aircraft though, it's far more satisfying, you can build the exact plane you want with the markings you want and the kids get a kick out of it too.

They end up looking better too ;-)

B-Man2

That's kind of neat Couchy.

Have a go at making your own model aircraft though, it's far more satisfying, you can build the exact plane you want with the markings you want and the kids get a kick out of it too.

They end up looking better too ;-)
Not sure where I would start out with that .
Is there a build it yourself kit out there ?
You can tell I’m not the brightest bulb on this topic! :oops:

Smithy

The easiest to probably start on is one of the 1/48 Tamiya kits. 1/48 is big enough that it's not terribly fiddly to put together and yet not so bit that it demands hyper-detailing. Once you get over that scale and get into 1/32 and above due to the size it demands a lot of detail work otherwise it can be quite obvious that bits are missing. It's the scale rule of modelling, the bigger the scale the more detail it demands.

Tamiya kits are exceedingly well engineered and go together like a dream, no real problems with fit whatsoever. A lot of Hasegawa ones are the same although you have to be careful with them if you're new to the hobby and some still in production releases are old moulds and don't go together as easily as the later ones.

If you're keen on having a go, have a go with Tamiya in 1/48 with any of their Spits, their Mustangs, Jugs and 109s. Those kits especially nearly build themselves Burt.

Smithy

A new hobby. !!
Just what I needed:D
Thanks Tim

It's a fun little hobby Burt. It combines an interest in aviation, it's creative, and it's a bit Zen - I find I tend to switch off totally and forget about everything else when I do it. For me though it's only a winter thing, too busy sailing, fly fishing and mowing the lawn over the warmer months here!

Otter

I have seen a b-2 4and an Avenger sitting side by side at Kermit Weeks place, they are not too dissimilar in size, the Avenger folds so it takes less space but it is one big assed bird !

Smithy

Going to give it a try. Always open to trying new things.

If you need any tips or help just give me a shout. There's also an enormous amount of helpful info and sites on the web to give you a hand.

Also, if you want be to give you a list of stuff worth using to get started Burt, fling me a PM ;-)

Micawber

I have their Spit & BF 109 hanging in the garage. I did have the matching JU 87 but no idea where that went. They all used to hang in my son's room in our previous house