• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back to USMC embroidery

Yardstick

After a few months out to work on CBI multi-piece patches, I'm back on the embroidery. Currently, I'm focusing on a few USMC patches because they are are technically quite challenging and incorporate text - something that requires lots of patience to do well but is very satisfying to pull off. Both of today's patches fall into that camp. First is VMF-251. I started working on this back in November last year but put in on hold and only returned to it a couple of weeks back. However, the long lead time hasn't effected it, as I think I've replicated the US style machine embroidery fairly well.
Img_0965.jpg

The second patch is from VMF-215. Again this one required a lot of precision and patience to get right (there were a couple of details than needed unpicking and redoing). But again it's come out nicely and I've manged to capture the slightly thicker US style machine embroidery of the original quite well.
Img_0973.jpg

Last edited:

Yardstick

Both patches feature in Jeff Millstein's book. The VMF-251 design was the adopted after the unit converted from F4Fs to F4Us and both the mission and unit designation changed (it was originally VMO-251). It seems that, as with many USAAF units, some USMC squadrons just adopted a design without waiting for official approval - I can't remember if this patch is one of those.

What I like about the USMC patches (particularly, the 1943 vintage ones is the inclusion of unit designations (although these were officially banned later in the war) and occasionally nick names. You don't see many USAAF patches that incorporate the unit designation - Italian carved leather patches are notable exceptions.