• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B6?

Tim P

I have a mind to get a B-6 jacket. Not 100% sure yet, the look and feelof the jacket is likely to swing it.
where will I get best custom?
My instinct, being UK based, is to pick up an Eastman one at Duxford after I have tried it on. probably not a redskin as they are too 'special'. Since I am there anyway I will save postage etc. but before I do, what thoughts have we got about sourcing say a McCoys one? would it be better economy? (ie if not cheaper, better)
personally I doubt it but I am open to input but have never seen any B-6's apart from ELC which I like.

Tim

Tim P

Roughwear said:
Tim, Here's a recent discussion on repro B-6 jackets. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1219

thank you. I had hoped to take this beyond the concensus that B6's are good and also underrated (it was the thread you mention which helped bring out a long dormant desire to own one) and see if any manufacturer just glares quality and price. If not I will happily trust an Eastman when I take the plunge.

Roughwear

Tim, From the various B-6s I have seen my personal favourite is the ELC redskin. I know some members will disagree, but it's just my personal preference and it's less likely to be mistaken for a D-1!

Peter Graham

I've never seen a repro B-6 but I've owned an original and they are quite a fitted jacket. I was told on good authority that the ELC jacket is much too wide and to buy a McCoys if I was looking for an accurate repro. I don't think that ELC's use of Crown zippers on their B-6 is accurate either but I might be wrong.

Here's my take on the B-6.......

I've owned an Aero sz 46 and an ELC sz 44R. Both were 'Redskin'.

The ELC was a better jacket than the Aero by a country mile, both in terms of detail and finish. I sold the Aero to buy the ELC. I now regret selling the ELC. It was on JC's CD.

Pic's of the ELC;...

P1000931.jpg

P1000932.jpg

I tried on an RMNZ B-6 at the factory, sz 46. Their pattern is a VERY fitted cut. It was trim through the shoulders and torso, but I could not get the main zip started.

For reference I have a 46 " chest and a 35 " waist.

If I was to repeat the process I'd go for a D-1. It is a square/block cut pattern, has a wind flap, is shorter and therefore will not bunch up under your chin if you sit down with it zipped up, and is perhaps more suited to the modern, 'fuller' physique.

All IMHO of course.

BEVAN.

havocpaul

ELC 'Redskin' is the best there is IMO, Crown zip too which is fine. For the extra money importing an RMNZ one I don't think it is worth it over getting the Eastman standard B6...that's the beauty of their stand at the Duxford Show, you get to try the goods!

MikeyB-17

Purely out of idle curiousity, never having owned one, does anybody use those side zips, and do they stay zipped? In my experience, the mechanism for keeping a zip closed without a button or hook to hold it together is somewhat unreliable.
I'm with Bevan-if it was me I'd be going for the D-1, but that's just me-I've never liked the close-fitting back on a B-6. Or the epaulettes. I prefer the simplicity of the D-1. Some years ago I was at Duxford when the IWM were selling off ELC redskin B-6's cheap in their museum shop. I had a look at one then, and was mightily tempted, because they did look very nice, but I managed to talk myself out of it, bearing in mind my previously stated reservations..

better duck

Tim P said:
I think I will go the ELC route.
Tim, when will you be at Duxford Flying Legends? Perhaps you can post the answer in "Regional Meetings", as there is an attempt going on to get some VLJ'ers together at either Saterday or Sunday at 12.30 at the ELC shop. I'll be there on Saturday!

Mark P

B6's are good! I've had the ELC redskin for several years and have held onto it when I've bought and sold several other leather jackets. The side zippers really do adjust the waist well (depending on whether you have a sweater on underneath for example) and stay put.

The B6 is easy fitting across the back because of the bi-swing, which I really like. The leather was thicker and stronger than I was expecting too.

So, pockets, bi-swing back, better for the warmer winter, beige coloured wool inside (better than the pale cream colour in my view), olive thread, horsehide trim (I think) - what more could you want?