• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-6 jacket made by John Chapman

Kermit3D

I sent 3 emails to John Chapman (waiting more than 2 weeks between each email), I have no answer. I will continue to harass him...

The two years waiting to receive the jacket are already a big constraint. But if I do not get any answers for a simple information request (2 months since the first email), I understand that some of you have waited more than 4 or 5 years to get your jackets.
I will not be so patient. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Kermit3D

This morning I got an answer from John Chapman ! ... it's like he's reading the forum ? coincidence ? ;)

... and I'm not disappointed, he wrote me a very long mail that I really appreciated.

Honestly, I had a mixed opinion about Goodwear because of its lack of communication, but his email completely changed my point of view !
He apologized for the waiting time (I can totally understand that), and explained to me in great detail what he could do as a B-6 jacket.
You can REALLY feel the passion in the answer he gave me. He offers me two contracts which are the Aero model (Acme with Talon or Crowns zipper) and the Arnoff (with Conmar Zipper). Both are copied on several original models that he disassembled.
His personal preference is the Arnoff, with the adjustment straps on the sides. That would probably be my choice as well.
He also offers me 2 different tanneries to supply the sheepskins.
John gave me a lot of details on how the jacket is made, on his leather coloring techniques, ... he even sent me pictures of his new "post bed" sewing machine that he seems very proud of, which is ideal for sewing sheepskins !
He told me that he will soon completely redo his website (he even sent me screenshots of the layout).

Anyway, I'm totally under his spell (I don't know if they say it like that in English but you'll have understood)!

Icing on the cake (another French expression), the delays are less long than what I was expecting.

As @Saint-ex said, .... yes I'm trapped, I'll most likely order. o_O:rolleyes::D

Here is the Arnoff pattern :

front_view1.jpg

Here is the sheepskin I would choose :

WWII_B3_Jacket.jpg

And here is John's new sewing machine ! :D

United_469RB_02.jpg

flyincowboy

Nice choice for the colour of the sheepskin just wondering how long will it take to get your jacket? Did you look closely the sewing machine is fitted with 2 needles

Kermit3D

Any chance you can share the screenshot? (if John didn’t want it shared around, no worries)

John Chapman didn't tell me if I could share the new Goodwear website, so I prefer not to show it here...
I would just say that there are now several categories : For A-2 jackets (with all the usual contracts), for sheepskin jackets (B-3, B-6, D-1 and M-444, from different contracts) for Navy jackets (ANJ-3, G-1, AN-6552, M-422, also from different contracts) and for civilian jackets (there are 5 of them).

entertainment

Here is my Good Wear B-6.
It was a sample from a while back. Great jacket and way more wearable than the ones I have with thicker shearling.
I have never found the side zips to be a problem.
It is labeled as "Acme" which I guess means Aero pattern and I bought it in 2013.

IMG_2881.JPG

Kermit3D

Here is my Good Wear B-6.
It was a sample from a while back. Great jacket and way more wearable than the ones I have with thicker shearling.
I have never found the side zips to be a problem.
It is labeled as "Acme" which I guess means Aero pattern and I bought it in 2013.

View attachment 55342

Wonderful jacket ! :)

In his email, John Chapman says that there is almost no heat difference between the B-6 he makes and the B-3. However, when the weather warms up, it is much nicer than a heavy sheepskin jacket.

Kermit3D

I don't understand why we don't see more B-6 on the forum. This jacket seems to be an ideal compromise in most cases. Maybe because it is less iconic than the B-3 ?

mulceber

In answer to your question, many more people prefer the D-1 to the B-6. I’ve always liked a B-6 but the D-1 seems to be the “people’s choice” between the two options .

Agreed. I've heard some people complain about the length of the B-6, and the sort of hourglass silhouette it creates. Personally, I don't see it, and I think it's a more interesting jacket than the D-1 (I think the D-1 looks like a B-3 without any of the personality), but to each his own.