• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-6 jacket made by John Chapman

B-Man2

The D-1 is also a very nice jacket.
It's probably stupid, but the D-1 is not a pilot's jacket, and I must admit that for this reason I like it less than the B-6... :rolleyes:
You are correct in that the jacket was made for ground crew members , but as with most pieces of kit in the military during WWII , officer pilots had priority and access to most of the kit available . I have seen photos of pilots wearing D-1 jackets .

mulceber

You are correct in that the jacket was made for ground crew members , but as with most pieces of kit in the military during WWII , officer pilots had priority and access to most of the kit available . I have seen photos of pilots wearing D-1 jackets .

As have I. That said, if Kermit only wants to collect jackets made for pilots, there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s an arbitrary decision, but so are most of the criteria we decide on for collecting.

Kermit3D

I am looking for information on B-6 jackets.
I find few information (sometimes contradictory):
Some say that the B-6 appeared at the end of the 30s, others say that it appeared from 1943.
I read that this jacket appeared when the conditions improved in bombers and that crews needed less protection from the cold.
I also read that this jacket was intended for fighter pilots because of its small volume. Before the democratization of the B-10 and B-15 jackets.
What is true or false ?
Was this jacket used on the Pacific front and on the European front ?
I am interested in any information.

mulceber

I’ve always heard the date of introduction was the end of the ‘30s. I’ve also heard that it was originally intended for fighter pilots, who couldn’t really wear a B-3 and still fit in the cockpit.

Kermit3D

Thanks for your answers ! :)
The second generation B-10 and B-15 jackets appeared in July 1943 (for the B-10) and April 1944 (for the B-15).
Does this mean that the B-6 was used mostly before the summer of 1943 ?

I really love the B-6. But I have the feeling it was hardly worn in operations during the war. I can find very few photos of period B-6 jackets.
Maybe it's a bit stupid but I want a jacket that is representative of the airmen's clothing of the time, I wouldn't want a jacket that almost didn't exist.

flyincowboy

Dont worry about wearing such a jacket it's period correct! you can find a lot pictures of this jacket worn by airmen in the excellent book les AVIATEURS AMERICAINS EN EUROPE 1942/1945.
P-40_79th_FG_84th_FS_Africa.jpg
b3mint-2.jpg

mulceber

The second generation B-10 and B-15 jackets appeared in July 1943 (for the B-10) and April 1944 (for the B-15).
Does this mean that the B-6 was used mostly before the summer of 1943 ?

And afterward. When these jackets were superseded, pilots didn't stop wearing them. Heck, the military didn't stop issuing them. There just weren't any more of the jackets being made. Pilots would keep wearing the jackets they were issued. As to the issue of why you see so few of them, my understanding is that they were never made in the kind of numbers that the B-3 or D-1 jacket were. Never been quite sure why though...

flyincowboy

I didn't know this book, it looks good !
Are you French flyincowboy? I had a doubt, but it seems to be the case. ;)

Is it this book ?

Bien sur tout a fait fier d être français et d'aider un compatriote!
of course proud to be french and to give a little bit of help to a frenchmate!
yep seems to be the same book but different cover.

Last edited:

Micawber

Don't forget the inherent weakness built into much of the shearling gear in that it was susceptible to accidental damage and had a tendency to rot further weakening the garments.
Many of the original D-1's I had through my hands were still stained with paints or contaminated by oil, grease, hydraulic fluid etc.