• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-3 ? My first flying jacket

Saint-ex

I bought this jacket when I was 16 or 17. (which is 20 years ago :eek: )

At the time I was already passionate about aviation and I dreamed of an A-2 or a B-3. In the airshows we found mostly Avirex which was totally outside my budget.

I found this jacket in a clothing supermarket for 900 Francs (less than 150€), the only information on a label is a 100% sheepskin indication.

I have worn it a lot and as the fashion of late 90's was to wear loose, it still suits me, even if I wear it rarely. You who are experts, is it fairly faithful?

ausreenactor

It's faithful in that it has always been there for you. Assumption is that you allow others to slide into it on rare occasions.

Accuracy in the details of the jacket is another issue. As long as you are happy, does it need to be 100%?

Saint-ex

No it doesn't. Was just to know, because I found 2 kinds of B-3 while looking on internet. These kinds of pocket and patch pocket.

But I love it because This jacket is full of souvenirs ! ;)

ausreenactor

The wartime B-3 has one flap pocket on the wearer's right hand side for the navigator's 'computer'. Slash pockets and the use of the B-3 name are areas for debate.

MikeyB-17

Bears little or no resemblance to a wartime B-3. Closest thing to it would probably be a D-1, but that had different pockets. Doesn’t mean it’s not a nice, warm jacket, and if its sheepskin it’s obviously no rubbish. BTW, the Avirexes you lusted after would very likely have been no more accurate.

MikeyB-17

A thing I’ve noticed about all ‘B-3’ jackets and the like, they always have metal eyelets on the strap holes, which no US issue shearling jacket ever had AFAIK. I know Irvins had them on the waist belt.

Saint-ex

Thanks guys for these comments.

So I understand that it is rather a reproduction of an Avirex's or Schott's B-3 that a reproduction of a war time B-3.

The uncoated part of the skin is very very thin, because it was a cheap jacket so the leather part had to be used to do something else.
But it's still a very warm jacket. Too hot most of the time.

Members online

Latest posts