• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-3 Bomber Jackets - Recommendations and Experiences

donsom

Hi all,

I've ready to put out some money for a B-3 jacket repro. I've linked an image, but I'm sure everyone knows what they are. (http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/eastman ... -81135.stm)

Living in Canada, it gets cold during our winters and the B-3 jackets that I have tried are warm and durable.

I'm not seeing any postings in the repro area on these jackets and experiences with them. I've surfed to, and bookmarked many of the quality repro jacket manufacturers...but, I'd like opinions from others.

My love for vintage look leather jackets started as a child. I had an old A-2 look alike leather jacket that I got from my grandfather (manufactured late 30's ... early 40's). I eventually outgrew it (guess folks were shorter then) and gave it to a nephew who still has it. As weird as it sounds, the leather was so thick that I still remember my grandfather (and mother) rubbing Crisco into the jacket to soften it up. I literally used to be able to "stand it up on it's own".

Conversations seem to all hinge around the A-2 versions in the repro forum.

Any experiences, recommendations, etc. on the B-3 reproductions are welcomed and would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
donsom said:
I'm not seeing any postings in the repro area on these jackets and experiences with them.

Conversations seem to all hinge around the A-2 versions in the repro forum.

Any experiences, recommendations, etc. on the B-3 reproductions are welcomed and would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Donsom .... The Eastman B-3 is certainly discussed here, try this search for Eastman B*3 ...

search.php?keywords=eastman+b*3&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

And also try just B*3.

The Eastman is generally considered here, to be one of the best repro B-3's, especially in the redskin version. It's rated higher than the Aero version .... my only criticism would be the shortish sleeve length in my size.

Personally I have a Buzz Rickson, which I'm happy with, it fits, and it never gets quite cold enough here to wear it.

CBI

Yes, ELC B-3 very good, can't go wrong. Never really cold enough here (and other places I have lived) to wear for me so I ended up selling it (along with my ELC Irvin). Just make sure you really think you will use it. How much time will you be outdoors? Once you are inside (even in the dead of winter) with heaters the jacket gets too warm.

Tim P

I have a real Mccoys and it is superb for cold weather. It benefits from a roughwear label. I got it second hand and I love it. It is duo tone. I would have preferred single tone but I reckon it this way, if that was what I would have been issued then that is what I would have used.....I used to have an Eastman back in the very eraly 90's. It flaked to all hell but they have rectified that 100% and I would put their jackets against anyones. People advocate What Price glory ones for their lighter weight but I suspect that would not be an issue where you live as the winters can get V cold.

donsom

It can get REALLY cold here in the winter time on certain days. With the windchill factor, it can numb your hands and face quickly (especially if it's snowing and the snow is being blown by the wind).

I also occasionally need to commute using the train. Waiting on the platform in the winter, the cold is just miserable. I currently have an old Danier bomber wannabe with a wool neck. I use a thinsulate windbreaker vest under it, and it's still not enough (especially if you're standing still).

I did a few quick searches on "B-3" which turned up "no results". I suspect I should have scanned through the postings further (and will do so).

So Eastman is the way to go? Do they create the jackets individually once ordered, or mass produce them?

I tried twice to send an email to the shop in the UK, but got no reply either time. The ordering process through the "heritage" site in the U.S. is a bit "odd" to say the least. Phone calls or faxes only, and then they ask for detailed measurements.

Any idea on the wait times experienced by yourselves?

Thanks for "goin' easy on the newbie" .... appreciate your feedback.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
donsom said:
I did a few quick searches on "B-3" which turned up "no results".

That's why I suggested 'B*3' which produces 141 matches .... :)

I tried twice to send an email to the shop in the UK, but got no reply either time.

There have been similar, recent posts on the Fedora Lounge ... seems they have a temporary email problem.

John Lever

Both Eastman and Real McCoys make excellent jackets that should be warm enough for even the coldest weather. If you have to go super heavy, then Lost Worlds is probably the choice and they are made in the US so importing shouldn't be expensive. Be prepared to wait though as sheepskin supplies are restricted. Could be better to wait for a used one as the current materials aren't as good as those of former times.

rich

I was lucky enough to buy a B3 from MickyB-17's recently. It's by Aero and from what I see it's a superbly made jacket, the
details all look correct. The repro houses will be getting busy now, perhaps the waiting time might be a worth taking into account - possibly 2 or 3 months? Mike, I hope you're not missing that jacket too much, I'm looking after it for you, promise!

A

Anonymous

I was talking to Alan yesterday and he was telling me that Gary does all the E-mail and internet stuff and he's been away and will be back as of Monday next week.
Normally they are pretty good and Alan is always most helpful and normally mans the telephone.

Dave

donsom

JACKET_ HEAD said:
I was talking to Alan yesterday and he was telling me that Gary does all the E-mail and internet stuff and he's been away and will be back as of Monday next week.
Normally they are pretty good and Alan is always most helpful and normally mans the telephone.

Dave

I'm assuming Alan and Gary are from Eastman? If I (from Canada) called with inquiries, are they available to answer questions on a daily basis (from what your experience has been).

RE: Buying jackets on EBay. ... most of the jackets I've seen are on www.ebay.co.uk ... but I look forward to any tips anyone would have.

John Lever

My advice is to wait. With the current chill winds blowing I think there could be bargains to be had. Both new and used.

MikeyB-17

rich said:
I was lucky enough to buy a B3 from MickyB-17's recently. It's by Aero and from what I see it's a superbly made jacket, the
details all look correct. The repro houses will be getting busy now, perhaps the waiting time might be a worth taking into account - possibly 2 or 3 months? Mike, I hope you're not missing that jacket too much, I'm looking after it for you, promise!

Not at the moment Rich, got the bass I was after, so I'm fairly happy with life! When it gets cold could be a different matter-good to see it's gone to a good home though.