• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-17 Nine-O-Nine just crashed!!!!

Edward

A vintage World War II airplane crashed while trying to land in Connecticut on Wednesday morning, sending giant plumes of smoke rising from Bradley International Airport.

The B-17 owned by the Collings Foundation — a group that hosts regular historical re-enactments — crashed into a shed while trying to land at the airport in Windsor Locks, witnesses told the Hartford Courant.

Photos showed flames and huge clouds of black smoke that could be seen for miles as at least two dozen fire engines raced to the scene.

Multiple injuries had been reported, the paper said, while @EasternCtFire tweeted that there was “one seriously burned victim, numerous yellow tags.” It was not clear how many people had been on board when it crashed.
75865B0C-D80F-4F5A-998F-348ED6B570DE.jpeg

Changeling

What a horrific accident, always an element of danger in flying these vintage planes even when well maintained.In time the cause might be revealed but very sad to have these deaths.

Otter

Oh boy that looks bad. My thoughts are with everyone who was onboard.

A trip on her was always on my bucket list.

Lorenzo_l

Thanks for the Heads-up, Ed. What a tragic piece of news. Loss of life and of a piece of history. So sad...

Otter

Kudos to the crash crews, that looks like some kind of tank farm she has gone down into. Could have been so much worse.

MikeyB-17

Oh sh*t. Dreadful. For the loss of life, for the loss of an historic aircraft. And I bet there'll be repurcussions for the war bird industry too.

Edward

The B-17 crashed at 9:54 a.m. ET as it attempted to return after experiencing a problem in air. That's when it struck a de-icing facility, according to the executive director for the Connecticut Airport Authority.

Kevin Dillon, the executive director for the Connecticut Airport Authority, said the plane took off at Bradley International Airport around 9:45 a.m. ET. At 9:50 a.m., the aircraft indicated that it was experiencing a problem.

The aircraft was not gaining altitude, he said.

The plane tried return to the runway, and upon touchdown, it lost control and hit what’s known as the de-icing facility — tanks that contain de-icing fluid as well as maintenance facility associated with it.

Officer Dibley

Oh sh*t. Dreadful. For the loss of life, for the loss of an historic aircraft. And I bet there'll be repurcussions for the war bird industry too.

Sadly you are right Mikey. Even though modrrn jets crash killing hundreds and a fully loaded Airbus A320 or Jumbo crash is only a matter of time away statistically and yet they don’t stop those flights .....

But a terrbile human tragedy on every level.