• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-11/9 parkas

blackrat2

I know very little about the B11 and indeed the B9 parka...I have had some help from a couple of pics and the odd paragraph on various sites and indeed from Peter on this forum.
Can anyone add to this post to advise of makers,details of zippers used etc etc on original jackets?...there haven't been many posts recently and cloth jackets for me personally are a new arena.

Regs john

dmar836

Not sure if there is a definitive reference of contractors and hardware as with the A-2.
I have a couple and IIRC Conmars are common on them.
It's easy to fall for a civi version(I'm sure at least one of mine is) unless you ensure there is a black/gold label.
Dave

blackrat2

I have a Moda coat co...with Conmar
Have seen a nice Ben Greenholtz but appears to have a more recent fitted "Fleet" made zipper

Peter Graham

B-9 and B-11 parkas are as distinctive as any other military jacket. I'm not going to dwell on the spec. It's easy to research. A few pointers on what's an issue jacket and what's not.
Anything with a white label is not an issued jacket
Neither B-11's nor B-9's had split hoods, ever.
Anything with a big tooth zipper is not original.
B-9's had knitted cuffs and B-11's didn't, but did have tightening straps on the cuffs.
B-9's had a rayon quilted lining and B-11's an alpaca lining.
AAF stencils may be present on either jacket, or not.
Maguire's book say there were B-9's made without hoods. I'll believe it when I see it.
I'm sure there's more, but remember the above, especially the split hood, and you can't go far wrong.

blackrat2

Ref hoodless,Vintage Trends has what appears to be one for sale,Conmar zip and Decal on shoulder the pics aren't great so can only go by the sales pitch but they are saying its non modified and got it up for top dollar....I guess it could be private purchase but without better pics etc I guess it will have to remain as probably a field mod

ciddu

I saw the hoodless parka they sell, I think it could be a field modified B-11 - but in the "WWII Flight Jackets" page they sell as well other jackets with strange features and civilian / different labels, some from the 50's...
It seems they don't make much distinction between original military and civilian stuff.

Peter Graham

Another thing that might confuse. The vast majority of B-9's had the usual mouton lined hood but I once owned a Reed products jacket with a quilted hood with alpaca trim. Here it is.

blackrat2

Yep the prices and jackets are all over the place on there site...I have learnt the basics enough to pick out an original B11 but don't know much about the B9 other than what you have said Peter,I am assuming Conmar did zippers unless anyone has anything else fitted.
I have no idea of original makers other than the four in this post but am guessing there must have been more,again no idea how many of these jackets were made back in the day.

ciddu

blackrat2 said:
Yep the prices and jackets are all over the place on there site...I have learnt the basics enough to pick out an original B11 but don't know much about the B9 other than what you have said Peter,I am assuming Conmar did zippers unless anyone has anything else fitted.
I have no idea of original makers other than the four in this post but am guessing there must have been more,again no idea how many of these jackets were made back in the day.

Original B9 seem to be quite less common than B11 - and therefore much more expensive.
If I remember right the first contractor maker was Eddie Bauer - Original Eddie Bauer B9, with their real down filled quilted lining and very often with USAAF stencil, are very nice, and usually fetch quite high prices.

Peter Graham

I've only ever seen Talon & Conmar zippers fitted to B-9's and 11's but I'm sure there are examples out there fitted with Kwik's and Crown's.

blackrat2

I was wondering about crown...they appear fragile now I am speculating that this is due to there age,if however this problem occurred during the war I wonder if they did get used on parkas,bearing in mind the length of the zip is longer and potentially more prone to busting...this is only a thought and hopefully someone might post they have one fitted to there jacket
I am guessing there aren't many of these jackets compared to A2's especially now owing to them being cloth...did B11/9's appeal to Mods does anyone know

Peter Graham

The zippers on B-9/11's are actually a lot shorter than an A-2 zipper as they start at about waist level and end at mid chest. I can't say if Crown's were ever used on parkas but my feeling would be that they were not. I've yet to see one on any cloth flight jacket. Why this is I have no idea. Hopefully someone will prove me wrong. As for mods wearing them. Never seen one. They all seemed to wear the M-51 parkas.

littlebuddy

Hi all , i have just come across this topic . i have a example of both types

My B9 is a BEN GREENHOLTZ with the red quilted lining im sure it has the Talon zip as does my B11

HOPE THE PICS ARE OK ??

LB

b10_zpsba8cff80.jpg

b10back_zpsbd055928.jpg

b10hood_zps936d8f07.jpg

b10label_zps40c408aa.jpg

havocpaul

I have a lovely Ben Greenholtz with the same white label and Talon zipper, size 38 too (although it fits me and I'm a 42).