• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-10 Red Knits

DJS48

Gentlemen,

I was looking through some old posts of Stagg B-10's for sale on the forum with standard OD knits. I was unable to find any posts regarding red knits and B-10's. I vaguely remember this topic being discussed, centered primarily around the Stagg B-10. Has anyone ever seen a color picture or handled a Stagg with red knits? I know that some repo co.'s offer such a jacket. I write primarily for curiosity and general interest.
Regards,
Don

johnwayne

Unfortunately I missed out on Andrew's B10 but Aussie-reenactor/Couchy offered me one that I'm looking forward to wearing now the temp's dropping here in UK! Larger BR B10's are apparently quite rare but I see on their web site it's no longer 'out of stock'. Not sure where you are Don but ELC have a pop up shop opening in London in a week or two's time and they are the UK agents for Buzz Rickson and should have all BR stuff there.

veli1

Wayne, i drooled over B-10's at Eastman's last July (FL 2017) with Simon and another forum member (unfortunately i forgot his name).We were like kids in a candy shop...
No matter which combo is on offer (standard OD green or red/rust knits) i think it's worth it 100%.

DJS48

johnwayne,
I am in China at this time. I did buy one of those Bronson B-10's last year and posted a few comments about the jacket as others did the same and one forum member provided some photos. I have "enough" A-2's as I am reminded however, many are way too much money for me now. The B-10's are closer to what I want to afford and are interesting in their own right.
Regards,
Don

johnwayne

Wow, long thread but interesting nonetheless, guess the 'argument' was never concluded but hey, I like mine, a lot! Thanks for taking us back in the annals of VLJ time, given I visit this site most days God knows how I missed it at the time!!

Smithy

I read the whole way through as well (don't think I read it back in the day) and found it very interesting.

So what is the 2017 standpoint on berry knits on B-10? Complete codswallop or has anyone dug anything up? That Mezz fellow didn't convince me and seemed to be using a flawed argument for their existence but I'm interested to know whether any new info has come to light since then.

johnwayne

Unless I missed it no mention was made of Dubow's use of berry knits so that to me suggests it was, like any process a degree of variance in the original dying but whatever, and like others I do like authenticity but in this instance I'm really not fazed, just always liked berry knits! So much so if I do go for another A2, it would only possibly be a seal/berry knit combo that would tempt me!!

Smithy

I think they look good too JW.

As I mentioned I'd be interested to know if anything further has come to light regarding them and B-10s. After reading the linked thread I'd come to the conclusion that it was probably something dreamt up by the BR marketing department. The lack of photos, lack of original examples seemed to reinforce that. Mezz's arguments didn't help: because BR made it it must be true; rolls of knits left in the sun; Charles at HPA had seen one (he's a lovely chap but I'm not going to be convinced by memory or hearsay), etc, etc. The left over knit thing is plausible and an in theatre repair but really let's see an actual example or at the very least a photo.

But that's just the historian in me wanting to know the truth regarding the actual objects. In terms of a repro with them, I'd wear it.

johnwayne

If it's a seal and berry A2 my choice is a Dubow 1755

Yea indeed very nice but hard to come by I guess in what now seems to be a most popular size, 44"? Seems most decent A2's that size get snapped up pretty quick these days whether here or 'greedbay' - and berry/rust knitted ones don't appear too often either. Bitterly regret missing out on a stunning GW that was on the sale page couple of years back and every so often I still scroll down that page to find it, a 7 year old jacket apparently that went for quite reasonable price that I've thought about emailing JC to see if he had a record of the buyer whom I could contact to ask if they'd let it go!! Ultimately though do I need another flight jacket with 12 in the wardrobe and Diamond Dave's latest nylon offerings elsewhere on this site proving very tempting!!!!

johnwayne

The GW was JC's copy of an Aero 21996, that he made 10 years ago, just looked at it again! Anyone here buy it?

Peter Graham

I think they look good too JW.

As I mentioned I'd be interested to know if anything further has come to light regarding them and B-10s. After reading the linked thread I'd come to the conclusion that it was probably something dreamt up by the BR marketing department. The lack of photos, lack of original examples seemed to reinforce that. Mezz's arguments didn't help: because BR made it it must be true; rolls of knits left in the sun; Charles at HPA had seen one (he's a lovely chap but I'm not going to be convinced by memory or hearsay), etc, etc. The left over knit thing is plausible and an in theatre repair but really let's see an actual example or at the very least a photo.

But that's just the historian in me wanting to know the truth regarding the actual objects. In terms of a repro with them, I'd wear it.
As I said in the original thread, the red knit B-10 is most likely to be another BR fantasy jacket, made purely to shift more units. I quite like it but I reckon if I owned one it would soon be a closet queen that would end up on eBay.

johnwayne

Interestingly I note in my recent buy, the Lightning Archives military jackets book, that Superior Togs produced an L2-A in blue with olive knits! Maybe therefore they have history of 'mis-matching' knits? Maybe therefore not BR fantasy!

Grant

Johnny,
Good catch, saw the same photos! I'm guessing the sleeve knits were later replacements?
Sup.jpg