• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-10 help!

Skyhawk

Thanks Jay,
Exactly, cant be hard to find a better solution. But that would assume a level of sophistication sadly lacking. Just lucky they didn't use a staple gun!
No doubt! I went to a cleaner once to have some cuffs put on a minty original Perry A-2. I asked the tailor if they knew what the jacket was. They replied "An old leather jacket?"

Lol, that's the mentality you can get with these commercial tailors.

-Jay

Silver Surfer

we all have tailor,, dry cleaner horror stories...fer sure. for cleaning i do it myself, either by hand wash or the at home dry cleaning kits. for work on my vintage, or for that matter repro gear, i will only have a person who knows about vintage gear [leather jac, etc], and has a track record, touch my stuff.

Technonut2112

Jeezus! Sorry man... I actually ended-up arrested some years back for jerking a guy over the counter after ruining one of my nice 40's double-breasted suits.. I was lucky to have the charges later reduced to disorderly conduct, but it still cost much more than the suit was worth in the end.

Anyway, I always hand-wash everything I can now, and was fortunate to finally find a dry-cleaner I trust around 50 miles from my home for everything else. I hope you can get your B-10 fixed-up. Before I sold my Eastman B-10, I machine-washed it on gentle in a pillow case and let it air dry on a wide-shouldered hanger.. Came out pretty nice.

Pilot

Sorry for your pain...
Try all what was mentioned here.
For the next time...My dry cleaner puts the tagging (as it should be) in a button hole...
He would never dear to tag a very highly priced suit... nor anything else.
He is also on the higher price end compared to the mall dry cleaner ( which I never use) ... and now we all know why...
I can also come and watch if I wish... how he cleans my items...so no excuses if any mishaps.
Again, hope it works out for you...

Brettafett

Thanks,
Yes. The funny thing, when I went in to ask if they would take care of it, and not hang on thin metal hangers etc, I was told they are very thorough and professional, not to worry.
They then went and gave it to an ignoramus to handle. Never again.
Not worried about the creases so much.
I have had a closer look, and its a bit tricky. The garbadine fibres are close together and the one hole is relatively neat, but the other, they have actually managed to rip the thread!
I doubt it will unravel or become a tear, but its so frustrating nevertheless...

Pilot

Thanks,
Yes. The funny thing, when I went in to ask if they would take care of it, and not hang on thin metal hangers etc, I was told they are very thorough and professional, not to worry.
They then went and gave it to an ignoramus to handle. Never again.
Not worried about the creases so much.
I have had a closer look, and its a bit tricky. The garbadine fibres are close together and the one hole is relatively neat, but the other, they have actually managed to rip the thread!
I doubt it will unravel or become a tear, but its so frustrating nevertheless...
Again, sorry for your trouble...I will list my Stagg B-10 from TRMcC’s Jp soon...so you can maybe compensate...Plus it has the real authentic non ichy Alpaga...which most of the others dont have;)

Pilot

Again, sorry for your trouble...I will list my Stagg B-10 from TRMcC’s Jp soon...so you can maybe compensate...Plus it has the real authentic non ichy Alpaga...which most of the others dont have;)
Size 44”” real Alpaga lined...so maybe a good 42”...

Brettafett

Measurements will tell. My ELC is a 40 long and fit very well. My old Buzz B-10 was a 40 also. Both fit differently.
Bob Dng B-10 42 was a bit big, 40 was way too short. Bronson 42 was a touch short also. What a game!

Pilot

Measurements will tell. My ELC is a 40 long and fit very well. My old Buzz B-10 was a 40 also. Both fit differently.
Bob Dng B-10 42 was a bit big, 40 was way too short. Bronson 42 was a touch short also. What a game!
:) Absolutely.
As a bonus, I will list my Stagg B-10 in a lot...with a pair of WW2 original MINT unworn A-11 pants...also to compare with original WWII Alpaga.

Technonut2112

Again, sorry for your trouble...I will list my Stagg B-10 from TRMcC’s Jp soon...so you can maybe compensate...Plus it has the real authentic non ichy Alpaga...which most of the others dont have

I think you were participating in another thread where it was determined that the B-10's original lining consisted of a 50 / 50 alpaca and wool pile fabric. I was able to find some free preview pages of C. G. Sweeting's book 'United States Army Aviators' Clothing, 1917-1945' on Google confirming this:

Screenshot_2019-12-16 United States Army Aviators' Clothing, 1917-1945(4).png
Screenshot_2019-12-16 United States Army Aviators' Clothing, 1917-1945(4.png
Screenshot_2019-12-16 United States Army Aviators' Clothing, 1917-1945(5).png

There was also the question of whether single or double-faced alpaca-wool pile was standard in the B-10. Most all of the higher-end B-10 repro makers except for Eastman use double-faced, and state that construction is from official specs. From what I gather above, Sweeting is discussing a single-faced lining in reference to the B-11 heavy winter jacket, with it's heavy-grade single-faced alpaca & wool pile fabric lining, and the B-15 incorporating a change to double-faced from the B-11, NOT the intermediate B-10 jacket.

I saw no reference above from Sweeting specifically stating single or double-faced lining for the B-10 one way or the other. I personally suspect that Eastman uses single-faced lining solely to make their B-10's look less bulky when worn, more closely resembling 140 lb men wearing them in wartime pics, instead of the somewhat bulky appearance that the correct double-faced lining gives the B-10 repros when 180-200 lb + present day men are wearing them.. I do know that my B-10's with double-faced linings are much warmer than the Eastman I once had for certain..

Last edited:

Pilot

I think you were participating in another thread where it was determined that the B-10's original lining consisted of a 50 / 50 alpaca and wool pile fabric. I was able to find some free preview pages of C. G. Sweeting's book 'United States Army Aviators' Clothing, 1917-1945' on Google confirming this:

View attachment 28561View attachment 28562View attachment 28563

There was also the question of whether single or double-faced alpaca-wool pile was standard in the B-10. Most all of the higher-end B-10 repro makers except for Eastman use double-faced, and state that construction is from official specs. From what I gather above, Sweeting is discussing a single-faced lining in reference to the B-11 heavy winter jacket, with it's heavy-grade single-faced alpaca & wool pile fabric lining, and the B-15 incorporating a change to double-faced from the B-11, NOT the intermediate B-10 jacket.

I saw no reference above from Sweeting specifically stating single or double-faced lining for the B-10 one way or the other. I personally suspect that Eastman uses single-faced lining solely to make their B-10's look less bulky when worn, more closely resembling 140 lb men wearing them in wartime pics, instead of the somewhat bulky appearance that the correct double-faced lining gives the B-10 repros when 180-200 lb + present day men are wearing them.. I do know that my double-faced lining B-10's are much warmer than the Eastman I once had for certain..
Thx, maybe I already posted about this double layer Alpaga on original B-10 and two prime makers.
If you compare with a WW2 Alpaga lining you can easily sense what’s historically correct and whats not... ELC is far from real WW2.

Brettafett

Its been almost a month since I received this jacket back. I have tried to iron the CREASE out, but its still there. As for the PIN HOLES, the cotton twill is too tightly woven for one to fix these. They will REMAIN forever, and the value of this jacket has fallen flat! One can clearly see the gaping safety-pin holes, BOTH on the back of the jacket and on the inside pocket. WHY they didn't use one of the many other built-in holes (hang tag, throat hook, button holes, zipper etc) they could have pinned without damage, escapes me. Imbeciles! Even if this was a £20 Primark jacket, better care should have been taken. As it is, this high-end Eastman B-10 repro WWII Flight Jacket cost hundreds... To add insult, they offered me the cleaning fee refunded... £12 odd!!!!! Keep your clothing safe... DO NOT USE AMERICAN DRY CLEANERS!
American Dry Cleaners Damage 1.jpgAmerican Dry Cleaners Damage 2.jpgAmerican Dry Cleaners Damage 3.jpgAmerican Dry Cleaners Damage 4.jpg