• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-10 help!

Brettafett

I sent my ELC B-10 in to American Dry Cleaners for Ozone cleaning. Just to give it a freshen up.
Jacket was collected in a plastic bag and appeared fine. Brought home and hung up. Next day I took it out, planning to wear it, and it was then, I discovered a nasty dual safety pin-hole and creases in the middle of the back. Some ignoramus had tagged the jacket!
Now, some may say not to worry, but this is a £700 jacket! Besides wear & tear on the area, this has also killed any re-sale value. I cant see how this can be 'fixed'. I could iron the creases out a bit, but...
Contacted the company in question and they gave me the usual spiel about it being sent to another company blah blah, own risk blah blah, bring it in and we may refund you the costs of cleaning etc...
So, besides warning anyone about this company, may I ask for any ideas as to how to magically rectify this?
IMG_20191201_103907143.jpgIMG_20191130_155127024.jpgIMG_20191130_155143162.jpgIMG_20191130_155134109.jpg

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

I feel your pain, Brett. I'd be livid! Probably a combination of just wearing it and may be some light ironing will take care of the crease? Good luck.

Greg Gale

Barbarians! :( I imagine the creases will go away with wear, but the holes...

Then again, the holes are not that big and visible. I'd tell you not to worry about it, but I feel your pain and I'd be just as pissed as you are now.

Flightengineer

Brett, because the jacket shell is made of 100% cotton, you can try using a steamer.
Iron with a steamer (DO NOT iron, but direct a stream of steam).
Either you can use steamer, ask your gf , maybe she has one.
This can make a puncture much less noticeable or invisible.

Saint-ex

I think you have to try to massage the fibers of the fabric to try to get them back to their places.

Normally the hole is just spread fibers and no cut fibers

I no longer trust cleaning companies because of bad experiences.
And with a bespoke suit I can tell you that it's quite annoying too.

Brettafett

Thanks for the input gents. I will try that.
Yes, not much else to be done, but wear it. I did not plan on selling this, its the one jacket I have held onto all these years.
I know its just a jacket, but it does make me think again of the amount of money we spend on these jackets and then something like this happens... If it was a Bronson or Dong, I'd not care much...

Heyjude7

That happens to my uniforms when we rank up we have to change patches... I use a rag and soak that one spot with hot water and use a small needle to move the fibers back into place and then steam it. when it dries it will be a lot better then it is now. eventually the holes disappear with wear

Thomas Koehle

Brett i'm 100% with you!

Anyway - like[U] Saint-ex[/U] pointed out: with massaging the fibers and "rearranging" them in the correct order those holes should disappear.

I do the same when i remove a patch from one of my jackets - just grab the spot where the holes are approx 5 cm apart from where the holes are and pull both sides sideways also diagonal - Play around a bit (not much pulling force necessary) and this should work

Ignorants are everywhere - just a pain in the a.se if the tread someones stuff like junk

Flightengineer

True, its not the first bad experience with Dry Cleaning Companies either...

It is always a risk - these dry cleaning companies.
I lost a lot of my cloth, include 2 uniform blazers, and no matter is this dry cleaning or laundry in a good place/cool hotel/country/brand or in some kind of ass, you never know how this will end.

I think if you do what Thomas and I advised all will be OK with your jacket.

B-Man2

Brett
Like most have pointed out, I think steaming , plus wearing it and time will resolve the problem. The more you wear it, the better chance you will have of slowly stretching the fibers back into place. The steam will definitely remove the folds. It would be interesting to see how this all plays out in a few months . Maybe you could give us an update ?
Good Luck with it.

Skyhawk

Hey Brett, sorry to hear about that! I would be mad too. Hopefully you can blend those in with a little work. I think you will be able to.

You have to wonder. why not just put the pin through a button hole? That's what I would do.

You run a risk when dealing with commercial cleaners for sure. Quality is all over the place. You can find good ones out there though. When you do, stick with them and don't try out new places. A good and careful tailor is a golden resource to have.

Regards,
Jay

Brettafett

Thanks Jay,
Exactly, cant be hard to find a better solution. But that would assume a level of sophistication sadly lacking. Just lucky they didn't use a staple gun!

Silver Surfer

agree st, warm wet the area and massage it. the pin holes will go away. if it rust that i see in the pix, add a mild soap to the warm water....careful, now, you do not want to leave a stain or bleached spot.