• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avoid the Polo M-421

zoomer

Polo Ralph Lauren jackets in the BuAer M-421 style - spec number not listed or mentioned - are being sold on eBay. They are very faithfully detailed, altho made of extra fine chino instead of the water-shedding poplin of the originals. But be forewarned - they are made in an extra lean "fashionista" cut.

I just took delivery of size XL, the largest available, and it's suitable only for a very v-shaped figure! At 48" chest and 44" waist, you'd think it would be ok, but the construction results in a fit more like an M or military cut L. It's going right back.

The item is listed as Polo Ralph Lauren Tan Jacket Coat Windbreaker.
The price - $105 - prompted me to take a chance that the jacket had been pinned back for the photo, but NO, this is how it's cut. Even a body nazi couldn't layer much under this.

I don't know what kind of fantasy world these people live in, but it must be full of meticulously fit pretty-boys who live on protein shakes and avocado toast. The kind of people who would think "M-421" was a new designer drug.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

zoomer

One neat idea - I assume from some contractor - is to secure the usually floppy inner pocket to the armpit.
Usually these pockets are semicircular, not so wide, and won't reach that far.
IMG_2155.jpg

Smithy

Never bought any of the Polo military repops because they're either crazy expensive or have the odd dubious feature as you've demonstrated above Zoomer.

Saying that the guy has to be congratulated for making a lot of 30s and 40s inspired stuff, some of it is great, trousers, jumpers, blazers, shirts, etc.

zoomer

Absolutely. Too bad he doesn't want it to fit everyone. He's also been guilty of things like lowering trouser rises on a 30s suit to follow fashion. A business on his scale must follow fashion, and these days, the fact is that certain sizes and shapes of men's bodies are not fashionable.

This was always true of women's clothes, but they usually didn't have to fit as precisely as men's. Now that there's one ideal male physique, and it's limited to part of the common size range, it's an annoying issue that little can be done about.

Last edited:

Smithy

Couldn't agree more Zoomer he does tend to cater more to the "thinner" crowd especially now but some of his stuff has been true 30s/40s vintage, at least some of the trousers, suits, shirts and blazers. I had a pair of grey flannels which were properly 1930s by Polo, high rise, straight wide leg - not Oxford bags but a great 30s cut and good weight flannel. Unfortunately they were ruined by a spilt jar of beetroot and couldn't be saved. If I could find the same pair in the same size again I'd pay a king's ransom.

BTW Zoomer and I might be a million miles off target but you wouldn't happen to be "Fletch" from the Hat Place would you? If so, it's great to see you after so many years as I always enjoyed your posts over there back in the day, although I'm long gone from there myself. If you're not, put my misidentification down to one too many gins!

MeachamLake

These do indeed look like the best repro M-421 jackets I've seen, aside from RMC, BR etc.

Shame about the cut. What measurements are you, zoomer? Do you mean you have a 48 inch chest or the jacket had a 24 inch pit-to-pit?

johnwayne

Hmm, just ordered one! I'm a 44" so went for the L having measured a lightweight jacket I already have so are you saying Zoomer that they don't measure to sizes stated? Maybe I should have gone for XL ??

MeachamLake

Hmm, just ordered one! I'm a 44" so went for the L having measured a lightweight jacket I already have so are you saying Zoomer that they don't measure to sizes stated? Maybe I should have gone for XL ??

Same here, it would be helpful to know...there's still one XL left I could grab!

Zoomer, how is the sleeve length on these too?

Grant

I always thought the M421a was made from finely woven polished cotton twill. Haven't handled an original in a while so I could be wrong.

zoomer

Yow...lots to respond to here...

These do indeed look like the best repro M-421 jackets I've seen, aside from RMC, BR etc.

Shame about the cut. What measurements are you, zoomer? Do you mean you have a 48 inch chest or the jacket had a 24 inch pit-to-pit?
46 chest, 44 middle, 41 waist. I'm basically a potato with legs so I need slack to look and feel decent.

Yes, and I have an XL I could be returning...

Same here, it would be helpful to know...there's still one XL left I could grab!

Zoomer, how is the sleeve length on these too?
I'd call it a 36" shirtsleeve (I'm a 35).

I always thought the M421a was made from finely woven polished cotton twill. Haven't handled an original in a while so I could be wrong.
Maybe, but the Willis bush poplins actually shed light moisture. This Polo does not.

Ken at Aero Leather

I measure 39" and went for a Medium, one of has got it wrong I think, Zoomer's post put me off the Small

B-Man2

Guys will somebody send me the link ? I can’t find it on eBay and I feel like I’m missing out here.:(