• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avoid the Polo M-421

MeachamLake

Just 48". Normally XL is meant to fit a guy who's suit size is 46-48. (Maybe it has to do with no one wearing suits any longer???)

I've always been an XL in everything and I'm a 44 chest. I always equated 44 = XL, 46= XXL...that's just me though?

Zoomer, where are you based? I would be interested in buying it off you to save returning it if the measurements add up?

johnwayne

Fngers crossed its gonna fit, too late to cancel anyway as it appears to have been despatched already, crikey that was quick! Always wtd an M421/a and BR appeared to stop making them plus good originals are hard to find and pricey when they do appear.

Technonut2112

I haven't heard these mentioned in years, but kind of remember mixed reviews:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-NAVY-M-421B-PILOTS-FLIGHT-FLYING-JACKET-/192607726777?oid=192547066291

From what I can see, may not be a bad alternative... Searching around I found the above jacket for over 1/2 off, and while being able to add multiples to my cart, no size is listed: o_O

https://www.charmlook.top/us-navy-m421b-pilots-flight-flying-jacket-p-14444.html

Just throwing those out there for folks who may have missed the Polo M421-A in their size... :)

Last edited:

B-Man2

From what I can see, may not be a bad alternative... Searching around I found the above jacket for over 1/2 off, and while being able to add multiples to my cart, no size is listed: o_O

Hi Techno
If you go to the description the seller listed a sentence to email him first with your size requirements. Hope that helps.
Cheers
B-Man

Technonut2112

Hi Techno
If you go to the description the seller listed a sentence to email him first with your size requirements. Hope that helps.
Cheers
B-Man

Thanks.. I'm talking about the other store (Charmlook) that's selling them for 1/2 the eBay price in the other link. I shot a message off to them to see what sizes are available. They don't mention a thing about it on the page.

Technonut2112

Hmmmmm... Looks like the M421-B's I linked above are also one-in-the-same as WPG used to sell. I DO remember reading years ago about them having loose stitching, shoddy workmanship, etc... Probably not even worth the $43.99 at Charmlook.

From what I see in the pics, the Polo does look to be pretty nice for the $$, and compares well in overall looks and construction to pics of this sold W&G M421-A I ran across:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-USN-FLIGHT-JACKET-M-421A-VF-8-SIZE-44-WILLIS-amp-GEIGER-INC-MADE-1980-039-S-USA-/232765392896?hash=item3631e60800:g:W6wAAOSw4Epa9HtY&_nkw=m421+jacket&_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&nma=true&si=Y1GsjQXqX0NWacVjddqH5GfQlQo%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

EDIT: Looking at this Polo M421-A from a few years ago, the pit-pit on the XL is exactly the same as the one in the eBay listing. The back length differs however. If I were to order one for my 44" chest, I would take a chance on the 24" pit-pit listed for the size Large. It would be my luck that the XL would be as listed, and way too loose in the chest for me ( a bit of hot wash / dryer action probably would take care of it, but I really would rather not on a brand-new jacket):

https://vintagehaberdashers.com/2015/10/08/m421a-repro-by-ralph-lauren/

EDIT: In other breaking news... All of this research led me to find a brand-new Pike Brothers C-2 sweater in my size at one of the stores I was browsing for only $100.00 shipped though... (they're around $200.00 USD shipped from Pike Bros.) ;) It was the last one left before anyone asks where to get one however...

Last edited:

johnwayne

Perhaps MeachamLake or I can review it once rec'd, not sure how long it'll take to arrive here in hot old Blighty and just hope I don't have to pay some sort of import tax! Seems that's purely random but despite the reasonable cost of the jacket the postage was half as much again!

Ken at Aero Leather

I've always been an XL in everything and I'm a 44 chest. I always equated 44 = XL, 46= XXL...that's just me though?
The only garments Aero size in,L,XL is our knitwear we advise
L = 42" to 45"
XL = 45" to 48"
XXL = 48 to 50"

It's a sizing system that's not really fit for purpose, with something with stretch it's just about acceptable but not for jackets
Where there's a 2" gap between sizes it makes no sense at all to use this sizing system

MeachamLake

Perhaps MeachamLake or I can review it once rec'd, not sure how long it'll take to arrive here in hot old Blighty and just hope I don't have to pay some sort of import tax! Seems that's purely random but despite the reasonable cost of the jacket the postage was half as much again!

I didn't get one in the end, with the import tax and shipping it comes close to the price you'd pay for a Buzz Rickson jacket...and the comments about sizing had me a little worried, particularly since returning it from the UK would be impossible! Rob at Eastman told me there's a new batch of BR stuff coming at the end of August/early September, so we will see what that brings!

Ken at Aero Leather

johnwayne

Bazelot's yer man, not long ago he offered to sell me an original, says he had 5!!! Given their rarity they weren't cheap but I'll leave it to anyone to pm Tom direct if indeed he's still got any, seem to recall he did have a 44" and couple of 42's.

Technonut2112

Even on my tight budget I was tempted by one of these M421-A's, and picked-up a size large. ;) To my surprise, it just arrived after only being ordered day before yesterday, all the way from Washington State to the East Coast... :eek::D

I was correct in going for the size large... *just*.. The fit is trim, but still comfortable, and within what I like for a military-style jacket. It will be great for Spring, Fall, and cool Summer evening wear over a light shirt. The back length is shorter than stated, and just OK without being too short. Some may be glad they went for the XL for a bit of extra room and length over the large perhaps, but I'm quite happy. :)

The sleeves are deceptively long compared to the #'s I come up with at the upper seam, but that's probably due to the bi-swing construction. Folded, and tucked-under at the cuff seam, the length is about perfect, and not noticeable at all. The materials and construction are very good, and I don't feel ripped-off for the (RL Polo) eBay price. I'll try to grab some fit pics in the morning, but for now, here's the measurements:

Pit-Pit: 23"
Shoulders: 19.75"
Sleeves: 25.5" (fit much longer)
Back Length: 25.5"

Last edited:

Technonut2112

Here's some fit pics for the large. Note how long the sleeves look when not folded-under in the first pic. Otherwise, the jacket fits me pretty well IMO. The back length measurement turned out to look better on me than I thought going by the 25.5" length, but no knit waistband and blousing to consider from the 26" A-2's I'm used to. This is cut very much like my Indy jacket. I'll like it much better after tossing it in a dryer with some damp towels to get the wrinkling under control... ;)

DSCF0571.JPG
DSCF0577.JPG

DSCF0576.JPG
DSCF0575.JPG

Last edited:

Technonut2112

Doesn’ Look bad at all!

Thanks! :) It is quite a thin jacket, and nice to now have a vintage military-style in this weight. All of my other cloth jackets are heavier material. The extreme wrinkling is due to the jacket being stuffed into a Priority Mail bag, then into a larger Priority Mail envelope. Economical shipping at it's best... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Does anyone know if a wash, and then some starch will 'crisp-up' this thin cotton some, and help prevent some of the wrinkling from wearing?

Last edited:

Technonut2112

The only negative that I noticed. The seam on the shoulder forward a little, because of this, the folds of the back open and the sleeve extends. In the original M-421A, the shoulder seam is closer to the back, this prevents the folds from opening and extending the sleeve.
Technonut2112 Congratulations on your purchase, you are very good in this jacket.

Thanks for pointing that out.. Since I was made aware that it was a design / construction defect (I kind of figured it, but couldn't see exactly where), I took the seller up on their generous return policy. :) They paid return shipping, and I ate the initial shipping cost to me. ;)