• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aviator Sunglasses

RumRunner

Maybe it's cliche, but I'm interested in finding some aviator sunglasses that are a good value.

I've got some of the "3 pairs for $20" from Amazon and they are okay, but looking to up my game a bit. I do like the classic teardrop shape but not opposed to something else in the same tradition (I know there are more square-ish shaped lenses). Also not looking to drop several hundred bucks, I know Ray Ban is a strong player but also looking for something let's say under $100?

Thanks!

MikeyB-17

One of the best bargains I ever had was a pair of black AO’s in a charity shop for about four quid. I never got to wear them, my wife immediately swiped them, and despite me buying her a pair of Ray Bans she still wears the AO’s years later. I have a pair of battered Randolph’s I got years ago when they were much cheaper. I have three pairs of Ray Bans, and have never paid full price for them-two came from pawn style shops and the others from a chemist that were selling their stock off. You don’t have to pay silly prices for Ray Bans, which aren’t the glasses they were now they’re not US made. Two of mine are Bausch and Lomb, the others are not, and although I like them, the difference in build quality is obvious. I have often seen them in TK Maxx for a lot less than full price.

Greg Gale

It looks like it's not very easy to get AOs outside of the US. I couldnt find any retailers in Hungary or in Bali. Ordering online would be tricky as there are so many different sizes.

@RumRunner careful with cheap copies. They are dark, so they dilate your pupils, but they have no UV filter, so it's much worse than looking into the sun with the naked eye. They can harm your vision. Then again, some cheapo sunglasses are actually good quality.

johnwayne

As sunnies go I cant fault my Randolphs but like most they’ve gone all street cred and pricey - got mine from a military surplus store!
As much as I detest ebay I have managed to snag some vintage RB Outdoorsman’s - bigger lens with the brow bar that to me appear more like vintage aviators. There are plenty of snide fakes too so beware!!!

B-Man2

The last time I checked American Optical Sunglasses retail price at most places here in the US was running around $194.00. They can be had a bit cheaper is you happen to catch them on sale .

Brettafett

I bought mine from these guys... But prices seem to have gone up.
If you sign up to newsletter, they send discounts occasionally.

Pa12

Are you looking for ww2 sunglasses? B&L, AO and Wilson . Here’s a
B00AB8D3-6CF9-4670-A8DC-748BDC686396.jpeg
picture of my ww2 AO at the top and B&L with metal case at the bottom . You can still find them on eBay but they can get pricey. I have a pair of AO I bought new in the mid 80’s and they are identical to the ww2 ones , so they built them for a long time. If your not that horny about authenticity there’s lots of cheap knock offs at sites like the sunglass hut. As for the square type, the Randolph’s are slightly different then the AO. I guess similar to the jackets varying slightly between manufacturers. Just remember ray bans are not B&L anymore. And the Chinese make some very impressive knock offs on eBay.

B-Man2

If you are into aviator sun glasses a low cost option that I’ve found to be very acceptable are Rothco Polarized Aviators Sun Glasses . They can be had for $20.00 or less. I bought a set and I’m very happy with them . They are crystal clear and work nicely. If you’re like me … buy two pairs .. for the sure to come time when you loose a pair . ;)

Chandler

I bought mine from these guys... But prices seem to have gone up.
If you sign up to newsletter, they send discounts occasionally.

Didn't know it, but AO is headquartered practically in my backyard. Wonder if they have a company store?

johnwayne

Those Rothco’s are great almost too cheap prices but unfortunately they don't ship outside the US. I note too the lenses are acrylic - sun’glasses’ Ive always assumed were glass lenses but what do I know and I dont intend breaking any of mine to find out!!!

Pa12

Acrylic are a lot more comfortable. They’re very light. You just have to be a little more careful, especially when cleaning them, as they’ll scratch easier. I usually wear contacts, but I always get plastic lenses in my glasses for comfort. Most have an anti scratch coating but I never clean them dry, always wet.