• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR launches B-3 Sheepskin Flight Jacket - wow

Brettafett

I think they just copied their original, warts and all.
Unless they had multiple versions and sizes to work from... It'd match that most closely.

I'd contact Morten, he will address any constructive comments and advice Im sure.

Im also fairly confident they can add length, or whatnot as Ive added length to my G-1/ M-422A and A-2 with no drama.

flyincowboy

Just guessing that providing the right mesurements, dimensions and proper specifications for an approching size one can have a very nice jacket made. Did this with 5* and i am very pleased with the result.

Brylcreemer

Personally, I've always much preferred minimally lacquered sheepskin to the broken grain hides - I think this one looks beautiful. The only thing I'd change about the hide is that I prefer my B3s to have more of a yellowish shearling. However, it looks like the original it's based of is an 'Aero Leather Clo' (?). I'm not really familiar with their B3s - perhaps they generally had more white shearlings as is the case in Morten's picture of the original.

mortene

Thank you so much for the feedback everyone. Its really valuable.

I have measured the cuff on the original B3 and compared it with our version. Please find the pictures below. Seems to be the same measurement.

Skærmbillede 2023-05-28 kl. 14.55.19.png

Skærmbillede 2023-05-28 kl. 14.55.27.png

Skærmbillede 2023-05-28 kl. 14.55.35.png

mortene

I have 2 questions:

1. It seems like some B3 jackets have longer cuffs. Would you prefer longer cuffs? Even though the cuffs have the same measurements as our original B3.
2. Some has mentioned that the sleeve are too short. The measurements of the sleeves should be pretty similar with other suppliers (see the measurements on the picture below). Do you think the sleeve length should be changed?

Skærmbillede 2023-05-28 kl. 15.05.11.png

Brylcreemer

I have 2 questions:

1. It seems like some B3 jackets have longer cuffs. Would you prefer longer cuffs? Even though the cuffs have the same measurements as our original B3.
2. Some has mentioned that the sleeve are too short. The measurements of the sleeves should be pretty similar with other suppliers (see the measurements on the picture below). Do you think the sleeve length should be changed?

View attachment 110877
Hi Morten,

For what it's worth, my take on your first question is this:

I think longer cuffs would look better as most B3 contracts seemingly had longer cuffs (based on the majority pictures of originals available), therefore it's hard not to look at the pics of your (otherwise stunning) repro and feel like there's something a bit 'off' with the cuffs as we've all become familiar with the many pics of B3s with longer ones. However, you've clearly done a terrific job at matching the original Aero you own, so perhaps the issue is just that the Aero contract had shorter cuffs than the other B3 contracts?

If that is the case, then given that your jacket is not a 100% carbon copy contract repro (i.e. you have an 'AVI' label, rather than an 'Aero Leather Clo' label', and you advertise it as a 'B3', rather than an 'Aero B3'), I would just make the cuffs a bit longer. If you were making a carbon copy contract repro (though presumably you can't because 'Aero' own the name 'Aero', and that isn't what you do anyway), then I'd say keep the cuff size as is, because people want complete authenticity where contracts are involved. Yours is more of a 'House' repro, though, and with those, people want what they think it should look like (which is pretty much the Rough Wear B3).

As for the sleeve size, again, it may just be that the Aero B3 (or just the particular one you own) had shorter sleeves, or a longer hem, but as with the cuffs, it looks a bit 'off' seeing a B3 where the sleeves end above the hem.

Those are my thoughts anyway. Others may disagree. Congrats on the brilliant work, and I think your sheepskin is the most desirable out there.

mortene

Hi Morten,

For what it's worth, my take on your first question is this:

I think longer cuffs would look better as most B3 contracts seemingly had longer cuffs (based on the majority pictures of originals available), therefore it's hard not to look at the pics of your (otherwise stunning) repro and feel like there's something a bit 'off' with the cuffs as we've all become familiar with the many pics of B3s with longer ones. However, you've clearly done a terrific job at matching the original Aero you own, so perhaps the issue is just that the Aero contract had shorter cuffs than the other B3 contracts?

If that is the case, then given that your jacket is not a 100% carbon copy contract repro (i.e. you have an 'AVI' label, rather than an 'Aero Leather Clo' label', and you advertise it as a 'B3', rather than an 'Aero B3'), I would just make the cuffs a bit longer. If you were making a carbon copy contract repro (though presumably you can't because 'Aero' own the name 'Aero', and that isn't what you do anyway), then I'd say keep the cuff size as is, because people want complete authenticity where contracts are involved. Yours is more of a 'House' repro, though, and with those, people want what they think it should look like (which is pretty much the Rough Wear B3).

As for the sleeve size, again, it may just be that the Aero B3 (or just the particular one you own) had shorter sleeves, or a longer hem, but as with the cuffs, it looks a bit 'off' seeing a B3 where the sleeves end above the hem.

Those are my thoughts anyway. Others may disagree. Congrats on the brilliant work, and I think your sheepskin is the most desirable out there.
Thank you very much for this. I think you are right about these thoughts. We will have a version created with longer cuffs.

mulceber

Yep, looks better. I agree with what's been said above. If the original had short cuffs, then the original had short cuffs. You didn't do anything wrong by making it accurately, but the longer cuffs are more typical, and for a house brand jacket, that's probably good to replicate the typical features.

Last edited:

Greg Gale

That looks amazing, @mortene . And the leather finish and color too!

@John Lever if I look at original photos I agree, but based on my experience with my repro Irvin, the waistband fleece keeps losing its fluffiness with wear, and maybe in those original photos they are already well worn?

Look at the variation in the waist band and wrist fluff:

u_56430d31-8718-41bb-b32e-02ef4e81fb0a.jpg

ties70

Well done, @mortene !!!

I especially like the subtle color variations between sheepskin and reinforcements: Visible but not too much contrast. Makes the jacket instantly easy to wear everyday and "blend in"!