• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR G-1 - sizes 40/42

Greg Gale

Hi all. First of all thank you for all the help you gave me in my G-1 patching help thread. I first thought I'd post this there to avoid opening new threads unnecessarily. Then I thought the information I'm about to post may be useful for future buyers, and it's much easier to find like this than burying it in that other thread.

So I got a big package from Denmark today. First thought: it was HEAVY! These jackets weigh much more than an A-2. The goatskin is beautiful, the jacket is very well put together, holding them in my hand I was happy with the craftsmanship. They scream "STURDY", it feels like you could be dragged behind an F-14 Tomcat along the highway to the danger zone, and your jacket still wouldn't be damaged :D I remember trying a size 40 Cockpit 100 mission G-1, and it was much lighter/thinner. I love the color of the collar, not black, but not the yellowish shade of the Cockpit 100 mission G-1 either that reminds me of my childhood teddy bear. Beautiful dark russet color. The only downside are the knits - they are nothing like the knits on my ELC A-2, but like a double-layered knit. Albeit inaccurate, I'm not so sure it's a bad thing though. I might look into replacing them, but the way they are constructed they look indestructible. Still, not too thick so as to be too stiff. The zipper is a bit "meh", hard to operate, but I guess it will improve over time, especially after some graphite/soap treatment.

Let's try them on! I think both fit well, both were comfy even sitting down & reaching forward. The torso is quite trim, there isn't more room in the torso of the 42 than in my size 40 ELC Star Sportswear A-2. The torso of the 40 was a bit too much on the tight side. Far from uncomfortable, but nothing else could fit under it apart from my T-shirt (even though I'm not much of a layering guy). A bit like a wetsuit :) The sleeves are long enough, the torso too, but the snug fit didn't allow for any, what's the word for it, when the leather bulges over the waist knit? IMO there should be a little, not much, but some at least. Also, there were some unwelcome stress wrinkles on the upper side of the back when fully zipped.
The 42 is roomier, more relaxed, the waist looks fine, still doesn't fit like a tent. My only problem is that the sleeves are a tad on the baggy side, not as nicely tapered as the 40, but overall I think it's a much nicer and more comfortable fit, without looking like a bag of potatoes. That's what I think anyway, but see for yourself:

40:
IMG_0342.JPG

42:
IMG_0344.JPG

40:
IMG_0343.JPG

42:
IMG_0345.JPG

Conclusion: Beautiful jacket, especially for the price. Well built, extremely rugged. A real beater. Wide shoulders, very snug torso, might wanna size up. I'll sleep on it, then probably send back the 40 on Monday. Then it's time for the patches. I'm one happy AVI customer! :)

PS: I never understood why some people post fit pics with their hands on their hips, because it makes it impossible to see the sleeve length - so I only did it when I turned around ;)

Last edited:

Persimmon

Hi all. First of all thank you for all the help you gave me in my G-1 patching help thread. I first thought I'd post this there to avoid opening new threads unnecessarily. Then I thought the information I'm about to post may be useful for future buyers, and it's much easier to find like this than burying it in that other thread.

So I got a big package from Denmark today. First thought: it was HEAVY! These jackets weigh much more than an A-2. The goatskin is beautiful, the jacket is very well put together, holding them in my hand I was happy with the craftsmanship. They scream "STURDY", it feels like you could be dragged behind an F-14 Tomcat along the highway to the danger zone, and your jacket still wouldn't be damaged :D I remember trying a size 40 Cockpit 100 mission G-1, and it was much lighter/thinner. I love the color of the collar, not black, but not the yellowish shade of the Cockpit 100 mission G-1 either that reminds me of my childhood teddy bear. Beautiful dark russet color. The only downside are the knits - they are nothing like the knits on my ELC A-2, but like a double-layered knit. Albeit inaccurate, I'm not so sure it's a bad thing though. I might look into replacing them, but the way they are constructed they look indestructible. Still, not too thick so as to be too stiff. The zipper is a bit "meh", hard to operate, but I guess it will improve over time, especially after some graphite/soap treatment.

PS2: I think I can still smell the sweat of abused and underpaid Pakistani child laborers on the leather :p

I believe the size 42 on you looks very strong.

Last edited:

Brettafett

Yeah, the 42. Looking good Greg.
And yes, it really is a very good jacket.
I’d replace the knits (at some point). These are strong and fine for the purpose, but replacing the knits will take the jacket up a notch, for those who want a touch more authenticity… I ordered a set of Seal knits from Larry, they look superb with this goatskin, (but ended up using them on the Cockpit A-2 I got from you) so want to order another set for my AVI G-1.
Looking forward to pics of the patched jacket! (I will be posting pics of my Blood Chitted A-2 soon ;))
ps Could you post some measurements when you get a chance....?

MikeyB-17

Cor that looks really good, especially for the money. Agreed the 42 is your boy. The knits aren’t necessarily inaccurate, some G-1’s did have double ply knits rather than the ‘rib-rack’ single ply. Can’t remember if AVI are reproducing a specific contract.
Nice guitars.

Marv

Very nice, agree on the size 42 looks great, AVI do mention on their website that they are aware that the two ply knits are not accurate for the contract they have based their G1 on and it was a conscious decision purely for durability purposes.

Still I don't think they look out place as this type of knit was eventually used as standard on G1s during the late 60's and onwards.

I was even tempted to maybe get one myself but as I already have quite a few G1s I decided against it.

Skyhawk

Cor that looks really good, especially for the money. Agreed the 42 is your boy. The knits aren’t necessarily inaccurate, some G-1’s did have double ply knits rather than the ‘rib-rack’ single ply. Can’t remember if AVI are reproducing a specific contract.
Nice guitars.

Yep it should have Rib Rack knits. All USN M422-a through 55J14 and all the way to 1962 G-1's have them. The original jacket in the photos looks like it had a knit replacement.

The size 42 looks like the better fit. Good looking jacket!

Skyhawk

That is good that they are aware of the correct knits. I don't agree with the durability issue. There are still wearable WWII M422a jackets with original single ply knits. If 80 years of wear isn't a testament to durability, I don't know what is!

Marv

That is good that they are aware of the correct knits. I don't agree with the durability issue. There are still wearable WWII M422a jackets with original single ply knits. If 80 years of wear isn't a testament to durability, I don't know what is!

I have to agree, I have a mid 1950s LW Foster and the knits are still in great shape for their age so durability is such an issue, I am thinking its more to do with production ease as they also do the A2 but its good that AVI are aware that the knits are accurate for that contract and happy to let customers know.

To be honest though, I was never a fan of the single ply rib rack knits and much prefer the two ply that is now standard on G1s but that won't stop me wearing jackets with that style waistband.

Brettafett

Yes, these AVI G-1 knits are different from whats used on their Bronco A-2, but they are of decent quality.
I got a set of 'authentic' single ply Seal knits from Larry to replace those on my AVI, just because I wanted too... (but I got side-tracked and used them on something else)... Anyway, maybe its because I am so used to A-2 knits, I was a bit taken back by the single-ply, it seemed thin and fragile compared to the two-ply A-2 knit. I guess one just needs to get used to it...
Theres also the question of quality of those originals and whats available today. I also understand, that fitting these, is a bit more complicated than the std two-ply knit.