• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR Bronco updated 2019 version

Smithy

If the knits were mid brown and the thread was OD, I would actually pull the trigger on one of these as the pattern, leather, collar etc, really look the goods.

And that's coming from me who has supposedly sworn off any new A-2s and even (after much hand-wringing, several scotches, a couple of cheeky little bourbons and a couple of G&Ts) resisted the siren calls of Platon's job.

But I'm a sucker for the Bronco pattern because it seems to suit my build so I really am tempted by this one but if only Morten would just make a couple of tweaks.

Grant

Um, guess I don't really get how this is a reproduction of the 29191 Bronco contract. IMHO it looks more like just another inexpensive generic modern looking A-2.
Sure it has beveled pocket bottoms and an ok spec label, but that's about it.
My two cents having owned a number of original Broncos:
The fit looks much longer in the torso than any contract Bronco I've seen. Broncos have a short 40's cut to the torso and are trim in the shoulders with fuller cut sleeves.
The collar points looks much more elongated than originals
The goat or horse should be more of a poopy russet color, not seal brown
As mentioned before, OD stitching and lighter brown knits.
Also, every Bronco I've handled has a Crown zip and United Carr snaps.

I get the market for a cheaper repro, but I wouldn't call it a Bronco. Just my two cents!

Smithy

I get the market for a cheaper repro, but I wouldn't call it a Bronco.

That's probably the thing with these cheaper options. They're never going to have the details and finesse of the top tier repros. So perhaps putting an original contract spec label on it is kind of setting yourself up to get knocked down!

For the dinero you have to think that Platon's one is the one to beat if you don't want to go top dollar.

Brettafett

Some pics...
AVI Bronco V3 full.jpg

P1250842.JPG

P1250846.JPG

AVI Bronco V3 sleeve.jpg

Brettafett

No, AVI only does std sizing. I actually ordered two 42s, this one was 0.25" longer in the sleeves, so returning the other one.
Measurements are approx...
Shoulders - 18.25"
Back length - 25"
Sleeves - 25.5"
Pit to pit F - 21"
Pit to pit B - 22"
Zipper - 22.5"
I would have loved 1" more in the sleeves and 0.5" in the body. But thats dreaming.
The jacket is so very comfy! Extremely comfortable. So easy to grab out the door, even with all those Dubows...
The pit to pit seems narrow, but as you can see from the photos, theres more than enough room for my 40" chest ;)

Brettafett

For those interested... Out of curiosity, I emailed AVI (Morten) a week or so ago about any updates, Perry etc... They've been quiet.
Just received a brief reply to the effect of, "Yes, we are still working on it". They want to take their jackets up a notch, and are looking to China to reproduce their originals. First up is a horsehide version of the Bronco, and possibly reproducing their original M422a also. Have a test version of the Bronco being made-up and depending how that turns out, will go from there.
Based on what I've seen online, the Chinese repros look pretty good, never seen one in person though. What do you gents think? Could be good, no?

Pilot

Why not Europe or US? Also in Europe and US quality jobs can be rewarding.
Surely the owner is happy to get himself and all his beloved ones EU/US standards for social security, healthcare and education.

Brettafett

I can only guess... Chinese repros seem to be better than those coming out of Pakistan, they are good at copying things very closely. Production cheaper than EU and US. Just look at Bronson and Bob Dong's offerings.
I wonder if it will effect the price though. Surely it must... Still, a horsehide Bronco sounds interesting.

Pilot

Off the records and purpose...
Right now in Jakarta...trying to get a few of those “cheapies” out of the “ cheap” legal system of a a “cheap” country... Indonesia...
All of a sudden all those buying only cheap cheap by all means...ask for assistance from a system which they condemned and spit on it during years....
Now happy to have a not so cheap, organized operation working for them...
All of them are sick ill and need treatment...and the one not buying cheap will pay for them...yak!

Flightengineer

For those interested... Out of curiosity, I emailed AVI (Morten) a week or so ago about any updates, Perry etc... They've been quiet.
Just received a brief reply to the effect of, "Yes, we are still working on it". They want to take their jackets up a notch, and are looking to China to reproduce their originals. First up is a horsehide version of the Bronco, and possibly reproducing their original M422a also. Have a test version of the Bronco being made-up and depending how that turns out, will go from there.
Based on what I've seen online, the Chinese repros look pretty good, never seen one in person though. What do you gents think? Could be good, no?

I think that Five Stars overshadowed AVI in this segment, making jackets similar to Morten's jackets first, then quickly improving them and providing quick feedback and good service and low price.
AVI will be interesting if they come closer in quality to the level of Platon's jackets at the same time with the right zips etc. and will be cheaper than Platon's jackets. Then Morton has a chance. It's my personal opinion.

B-Man2

Interesting conversation ... If I might weigh in here, I liked the AVI jackets when they first hit the market. The goat hides were a little on the thick side for an A2, but they are bullet proof and very durable. But the problem is that there’s no secondary resale market for them. I’ve had one for sale for sometime now with little or no interest. At first I thought I had priced it too high on EBay, so I added the “make an offer” to the starting price. Still nothing. My own thoughts are that AVI needs better marketing because people don’t seem to be interested in them.

Bombing IP

The AVI company does what it wants thus it reaps no benefits ,I tried weighing in with some gentle input with a few emails back and forth with him but he was not interested .The Bronco jacket he has for sale has been improved a few times but is still way off the mark for someone who copied an original . The leather looks so much like a G1 jacket and is the wrong color and the rivets are wrong yardi yah .This is not a new company but their progression has not got much further than a 1978 Avirex ,at least the Avirex made a horsehide version .Disappointing for a company owner who is fascinated by the almighty flight jacket .

Jeff

Last edited: