• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR Bronco updated 2019 version

Brettafett

Hello all,
I have literally just received an email from AVI LTHR, that their updated Broncos have arrived.
These are made from a veg-tanned seal goatskin, and from the pics at least... the jackets look pretty neat and tidy. Those pocket flaps are a step up, as is the knit...
AVI recon there's been a complete revamp, new supplier etc.
Website will reflect soon, but these are now in stock and are shipping. I have a 42 on the way...
Watch this space.
AVI LEATHER BRONCO 2.jpg

AVI LEATHER BRONCO 1.jpg

AVI LEATHER BRONCO 4.jpg

AVI LEATHER BRONCO 5.jpg

AVI LEATHER BRONCO 6.jpg

AVI LEATHER BRONCO 7.jpg

AVI LEATHER BRONCO 9.jpg

Brettafett

I have asked... Morten recons he can't do horse with this supplier... However, the Perry IS being made by a different supplier and that WILL be in horse. Maybe he is thinking long term and testing out different suppliers. A good idea.

johnwayne

Sorry guys but that collar looks so wrong, the fold in particular looks like mall jacket that even with wear I doubt will ever look right. Knit colour looks very dark too as does the seal (I believe that Bronco contract was russet anyway) - for a specific maker style it looks to me more like a house A2 IMO. Not trying to be negative but just my honest observations going by the images.

Brettafett

To be fair, one can't compare these guys with GW, ELC or BK... These are Pakistan artisans (managed and directed by enthusiasts), copying and translating from a size 44 original, in the best way they know how... I guess.
I expect the AVI guys are trying to keep the jacket within 'everyman's' price range regs components and materials, and still relatively authentic and high quality.... Its a testament to their efforts that guys are even comparing this with a GW jacket :D Remember, this is under 400 Euros, posted and a GW is .... A lot, LOT more! hahaha
Lets see, will take some pics and do the review-thing when in hand.

p.s. I've personally owned three GWs, dozens of Eastman's, handled a couple of Bill Kelso's and now Platon's Dubow, plus a few originals and numerous other repros.
Have to say they are ALL up in the top game, but that BK 1755 I played with a few months ago was, well... the closest I've seen to an original in all respects. Hands down.
Factor in the price of a GW, ELC... And I can no longer see the sense of buying one now, when you can get Platon's Dubow for a fraction of the price in comp, and which is frankly, just as good as any GW I have owned.

Brettafett

hahaha this is over a period of time since 2002/3
I stop myself thinking about how much this collection would be valued at today :eek:. But most of these have been buy and sell. I'm too curious.
The only jacket I still have from back the is my ELC B-10.

ties70

I'm also curious, if someone has owned high end/top tier Repro flight jackets like GW etc....he won't choose other markers any more.

I have owned (and still own) GW, RMNC, ELC, AERO....and my current favourite go-to jacket is my russet FiveStar A-2...

I personally believe that I have always tried to find the "holy grail" of flight jackets, the most authentic, the best available "1942"-out-of-the-box jacket...only to notice that these do not exist....at least for me, as I am too big to wear originals.
Turns out that I am more happy with the nice, easy to wear, military-inspired jackets than with the "real deal"...

Ties

Brettafett

I'm also curious, if someone has owned high end/top tier Repro flight jackets like GW etc....he won't choose other markers any more.
Well, I have... and I still want to try other makers. For one thing, I would not feel comfortable patching or painting a $1000 jacket. But, a $400 jacket, yes, but again... not interested in a mall jacket. I've come too far, learned too much.
Thats why 'Im so curious about these mid-range 'original-maker' jackets. You're getting 70-80% of the jacket, for 30% of the price. No fear of experimenting or abusing the jacket, also not too stressed if the sleeves are a touch short etc...
I have never been 100% happy with most my top tier makers jackets... for various reasons.
Personally, I won't pay those prices anymore... Platon changed the game I think... As has AVI and these other guys... They are still developing, but given time, these jackets could improve to the point of being darn good repros, even side-by-side with GW, ELC and the like.
Still searching ;)

Brettafett

I have owned (and still own) GW, RMNC, ELC, AERO....and my current favourite go-to jacket is my russet FiveStar A-2...
I personally believe that I have always tried to find the "holy grail" of flight jackets, the most authentic, the best available "1942"-out-of-the-box jacket...only to notice that these do not exist....at least for me, as I am too big to wear originals.
Turns out that I am more happy with the nice, easy to wear, military-inspired jackets than with the "real deal"... Ties
100%

Brettafett

Its funny, one of my most comfortable, easy-to-grab-out-the-door jackets, is my Cockpit (Government issue horsehide) A-2 that I bought off Gregg last year. Far from original-maker accurate... But I love it.
Gave it new cuffs, lining and a leather blood chit and its a keeper!
I think everyone, as some point should own a top-tier jacket though, be it a GW, ELC or BK... whatever.

tefouane

This new upgrade is not made for athletic guy with long arms. If you look closer at the size chart the sleeves and the back are reduced from 1.5 centimeters...why ? I have just ordered the russet one in 44 size

Envoyé de mon SM-G965F en utilisant Tapatalk

Brettafett

Just received an email from AVI. Size 46 and 48s available...
ps I'm not the spokesman, just interested. If you want measurements pls contact AVI

Last edited: