• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR Bronco updated 2019 version

Brettafett

Its been available for a while, I was expecting this a month ago
Anyway, only had a quick gander, will look more when I get home and take a rough pic or two.

Brettafett

Just had another little look-see... scratch the epaulets comment, they are perfect. The stitching is neat and the best yet, Really like the profile of this one. Collar and pocket shape are superb. Classic WW2 Bronco
Size 42 fit is good, really comfy, this would be great in a car or cockpit.
AVI's taking two steps forward with this jacket, but then taken one back. And thats an aesthetic step. A little trip if you will. What do I mean? I will stand by my initial thoughts on the thread and knit colour. Damn... if the thread was olive drab and the knits were a lighter seal brown, it would be really good.
That aside, I'm pretty enthused by this jacket.
No, its not at the top-tier level, but as a happy-wife-priced original-maker A-2, its great.

Brettafett

Will get around a review and better pics, but for now, here is AVI's new 2019 Bronco.
Best pattern yet, really good stitching and put together really well.
AVI Bronco V3.jpg

Brettafett

Thank Tim. Yeah, its a fun thing... Jacket is nice. I will equate this to a soop'd-up goatskin Cooper A-2, but a bit lighter. The leather feels about the same, same good quality, but this is a very nice, faithful even, Bronco pattern... all the original contract pattern details are there, at glance.

Flightengineer

It looks like the collar has become more correct? What about pocket flaps ? Are they corrected or as in the first versions?
It seems to me very dark knitting?

Brettafett

Yes on both counts Dmitry... Collar and pockets are excellent. Knit and thread... Too dark for my liking. Should have been lighter brown. The threads not bad actually, but a lighter brown or olive drab would have added a 'notch'.

Greg Gale

A definite improvement, I really like the new collar and the fit is also spot on. Really too bad about the knits, question is, would replacing them be worth the hassle?

Brettafett

mmmmm although I said too dark for my liking, its actually not bad. Especially now in better light. The knit is clearly dark seal, not inauthentic, but my personal preference would have been a mid seal, that would have married with the seal brown hide better imo.
The thread is a darker brown, but is also fine, not as dark as I initially thought (in fairness, it was dark and rainy here in London last night). Again, my personal preference would have been a mid brown thread, or olive drab, that would have been special, and differentiated this even more.
The knit appears to be the same as what I used on my G-1 and Cockpit, from Larry at flight jacket knits. Definitely the best I've seen on any AVI jacket. Not as high quality of as perfect as on Platon's Dubow, the BKs or GWs for example, but they are perfect on this jacket. No need to replace unless you want to for personal prefs.
Carr Snaps, repro Talon zipper, decent label, seemingly correct stitching (without going in with a magnifying glass), all the bits are there - will get around to taking better pics and detailing a bit more. I still want to do this with the Dubow also.
Impression so far - best Bronco yet from AVI, great pattern and they've up'd the sophistication as to how they've put the jacket together. Better collar and pockets, better stitching...
Please excuse the bad phone pics, the colours are not correct, but just gives an idea...
AVI LTHR Bronco 2019 1.jpgAVI LTHR Bronco 2019 2.jpgAVI LTHR Bronco 2019 3.jpgAVI LTHR Bronco 2019 4.jpg

Brettafett

A definite improvement, I really like the new collar and the fit is also spot on. Really too bad about the knits, question is, would replacing them be worth the hassle?
Possibly. I am going to wait till I have all the jacket arrivals and assess my cupboard.
I may have to let a couple of jackets go. I do really like this jacket, inexpensive as it is and so very comfy to actually/ practically wear! If this one stays, I may do a knit replacement, only as a personal preference... And I like being difficult ;)

Smithy

The knits look better in those latest pics Brett. And considering for the money it's not meant to be a super, top tier replica then I could live with those knits. They'll always need replacing down the line anyway.

Is the sizing the same as their old pattern Broncos? So is a 42 of this new bunch the same as a 42 in the old versions?

Brettafett

Yes. I will taking a closer look in the next few days, but roughly 18" shoulders, 25 to 25.5" back length incl knit, and also 25" to 25.5" sleeves incl knit.
Will check actuals and get back to you guys.

Brettafett

Its not bad. I've seen pics of originals with darker seal knit (likely replacement knits). In fact, I think theres an original A-2 in one of the UK museums I've seen personally, with darker seal knit. There are WW2 Broncos in both the IWM in central London and at Hendon...

Flightengineer

I think this is so easy for manufacturer compared with the building of the jacke... if to give to this Bronco right brown or rust knitwear - it would be much, much better.

Thomas Koehle

Nice jacket although the knittings would be too dark for me also ...

the Artist of the Comic is "Eric Herenguel" - he invented the Comic series "Kong Crew" and is pretty active on FB - check for him - he also once in a while does jackets in commission