• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR BRONCO A-2 Jacket Review & Pics

Silver Surfer

so where do i find the english translation site for taobao, and the " risk rider" a-2? seems the ones that i can find are in chinese....all of them. when i went to proxy taobao sites, they did not bring up "risk rider". any of you guys able to guide an older computer illiterate alice through the rabbit hole?

Technonut2112

so where do i find the english translation site for taobao, and the " risk rider" a-2? seems the ones that i can find are in chinese....all of them. when i went to proxy taobao sites, they did not bring up "risk rider". any of you guys able to guide an older computer illiterate alice through the rabbit hole?

Try this:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://www.engtaobao.com/item/523378203325.html

Looks like a VERY sweet veg-tanned HH jacket for certain.. :cool:

• Italian imported vegetable tanned horseskin (old-fashioned tanning process, natural coloring of fruit trees, non-modern chemical dyeing, cortical texture treatment according to the first year A2 ), leather thickness is about 1.2 - 1.3mm
  • Full wool seamless rib
  • Vintage brown cotton plain weave (domestic only cotton plain)
  • Coats cotton sewing line
  • Japanese made WALDES zipper (replica 1942 TALON zipper style)
  • (The zipper is also available with our collection of Talon zips from the US military stocks more than 70 years ago, detailed below)
  • Japanese black bronze military regulations "Ball Stud" four buckle
  • Replica wooden shuttle collar

TB2XvlfgFXXXXcwXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!51085025.jpg
TB2cAZ4gpXXXXbdXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!51085025.jpg

EDIT: Here's a couple pics of BK's RW 23380... The 'Risk Rider' looks damn near as good to my eyes:

23380_01.jpg
roughwear-23380-05_23380.jpg

Last edited:

Pilot

...hmmm, Pilot, you do realise that Boeing have the 737 fuselage manufactured in China and fly them to the US in a special conversion Dreamliner ?
Sure I know...same for Airbus...and Embraer in Brazil...
( plus my iPhone and iPad are made in China...)
My post was about repros..fakes..copies, lookalikes etc....not about a licenced production.

Last edited:

Technonut2112

I didn't notice this when I copied & pasted about the 'Risk Rider'... Another high-end option: :cool: For $679.00 USD + the period Talon cost, I WILL be setting some $$ aside for this one.. ;) Looks like they make up to a size 46 as well.

(The zipper is also available with our collection of Talon zips from the US military stocks more than 70 years ago, detailed below)

Last edited:

zoomer

I like it! But I guarangoddamtee their 46 won't fit me (suit size 46). :rolleyes:

Eastern makers seem to have developed a jacket scheme where the extra room in the chest only goes up 2 cm (3/4") for every 2 inch increase in tag size. When the difference reaches 0, they offer nothing larger.

AVILTHR starts off at size 38, with a 40" actual measure. By 48, the actual measure is 48". So the more room you need, the less you get! Seems like a scam to me!

Last edited:

zoomer

The AVI chart is not the worst of it...an outfit called Blue In Green offered a 37J1 a few years ago in 36-46. Size 36 had 4" extra thru the chest, 46 had zero.

Silver Surfer

hmmmm.....odd, they do not list the areas per chest, length, sleeves etc in english in their measurements. and, i thought they had the same rw in russet. cant find it.

Technonut2112

hmmmm.....odd, they do not list the areas per chest, length, sleeves etc in english in their measurements. and, i thought they had the same rw in russet. cant find it.

From what I see for the size 44 by what makes sense, since I have been down this road before deciphering: (Rounded-Off from CM's to inches)

Chest: 47"
Shoulders: 19"
Sleeves: 26"
Length: 26"

The 42 would be:

Chest: 45.5"
Shoulders: 18.5"
Sleeves: 25.5"
Length: 25.5"

The 40 would be:

Chest: 44"
Shoulders: 18"
Sleeves: 25"
Back Length: 25"

Last edited:

Kennyz

This is my previous AVI seal Bronco. I received this a few months back and its one of my go-too jackets.
View attachment 4808
Posting here, so you can compare with the 'upgraded' version.
This seal goatskin was slightly thinner and more malleable, but oh so comfortable.
View attachment 4809
I took some Surgical Spirits to it the other day, for a light, subtle rub-over... and it looks fantastic.
View attachment 4810 View attachment 4811 View attachment 4812
Just removed some of the surface sheen and lightly burnished the high points... due to the grain, the effect is very nice.
View attachment 4813
The original review of this jacket can be found here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/avi-lthr-bronco-a-2-jacket-review-pics.92117/

Thank you Brett for your review. The jackets look like a perfect fit for you. I'm really liking the look and value of the AVI A-2's.

Ken

Spitfireace

I have that problem with sleeve length.
I have the same problem because I'm 38 size but short at five four so I can't order a standard 38 because the sleeves are too long. I don't mind the body extra length but the arms obviously can't be too long. I have a CWU 36-P having the sleeves shortened right now because my arms are like 23 inches instead of 25. My CVC jacket came in short length. But CWU's do not. So If I order a jacket it has to be custom... but oddly enough I have an original A-2 that the sleeves are perfect length. I think the guys were generally shorter back then.

Thomas Koehle

I think the guys were generally shorter back then.

Definitely!

If I try to find period garment of the 40ies / 50ies over here in Germany - no matter civilian or military is almost impossible to find anything that really fits me (I’m a 44 chest) and if yes sleeves are generally too short ...

Spitfireace

As far as authenticity..... either you pay for it or not.. I mean a NOS Talon is more expensive than a repro....

zoomer

Fortunately the day when you had 2 choices, mall jacket or high-end repro, are gone. There are now degrees of authenticity/price, but only for small to average size men.

Last edited:

Technonut2112

Fortunately there are now degrees of authenticity/price, but only for small to average size men.

Going by the scale of the above measurements I posted for the 'Risk Rider", the size 46 which they did not list measurements for should be (roughly) around:

Chest: 49-49.5"
Shoulders: 20-21"
Sleeves: 26.5-27"
Length: 26.5-27"

Last edited:

Technonut2112

Should be. But won't!!!

Why's that? I've purchased 4-5 jackets from China, and all of them were within the listed measurements (I'm a 44). The scale of measurements from 40-44 look about right. The 46 should scale-up as well.

Last edited: