• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR BRONCO A-2 Jacket Review & Pics

Ken at Aero Leather

Pilot

An old Chinese saying=“ only the best is good enough for me...leave the worst for others....”

B-Man2

The photos look great but until you actually see one of their jackets , it’s a crap shoot. Then there is the sizing thing. Do they make their jackets for their market or for the rest of the world. I admit they look good but I’ll wait for the reviews to come out.

Smithy

The photos look great but until you actually see one of their jackets , it’s a crap shoot. Then there is the sizing thing. Do they make their jackets for their market or for the rest of the world. I admit they look good but I’ll wait for the reviews to come out.

If it was me I'd stick with AVI Burt, the best A-2 repro I've bought for the money, and there's also that Perry repro from them just around the corner too :cool:

Brettafett

If I didn't have a queue of jackets already, I'd try one of those Chinese 'Eastman' 28557 A-2s... Gary is probably having a fit.
They look pretty good, although as B-man says, until one has it in hand, one never knows what you will actually get.

Did anyone see the Risk Rider Rough Wear 23380 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Jeepers, this had me in stitches for a bit.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...XBwgSY&id=523378203325&ns=1&abbucket=4#detail
And the worst is, it actually looks good, AND every garment in guaranteed.
The Risk Rider Rough Wear 23380 must be top-tier, being twice the price of the Eastman 28557!
I have to get one of these :D I think the Risk Rider in seal looks pretty slick...

Anyway, good looking jackets for the price, will keep my eye on these.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 252
  • image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 261
Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

The photos look great but until you actually see one of their jackets , it’s a crap shoot. .
VLJ members can identify the stitch length of a 70 years old jacket being worn in blizzard but can't see that these jasckets have raised the budget bar right into the premier level??????????
Yes If I was Gary I'd be going ape, McCoy too. Up to now the budget jackets looked just that................. "budget"............. these do not and this is a wake up call for all manufacturers working in "The First World"
I'm just relieved that militaria represents only a small part of Aero's output and we have a good design team to help us keep ahead of the copyists, those relying on replicating may have to have a serious rethink

Geeboo

Maybe I can say something as a hongkonger cos I also participate in a major mainland retro wear discuss forum. Most retro players in China may I dare to say pay little attention to the history of the jackets, Newbies are keen to learn about some "superficial law/ features" about quality. Most, Most, of them rely on brand recognition by others. for example, I wear Alden, therefore I am tasteful & know about shoes. Same for leather jackets, jeans & others. Therefore, it attract those who are newbie in the area , SAME for shoes, suits, to chase for "RECOGNIZED GOOD QUALITY" BRAND. So, I will not be surprised Aero got sales figures rising. IF sales are rising, why not control the px if I were the makers ? So one can observe the leather jkt mkt, or denim mkt or the shoes mkt or the suits mkt, are trending towards the hotter even hotter - Polarization. The 2nd best or the 3rd best got little or no attention they deserve.
2ndly, about P-to-Q ratio. Agree absolutely a few Chinese makers do make THE BEST P-T-Q jackets, pls note I am NOT saying the best quality jackets. With the hotter get even hotter, the price differential get a huge leap between the recognized brand & those which are not. This price leap is un-proportional to the quality the "second" recognized" brand deliver.
As many members here already own a lot of jackets. Like me, I own a lot of jackets. Sometimes , I am attracted by some very good P-t-Q quality jackets. The things is : Your pay 30-40% & get 85% of the best quality, why not ? I don't buy 1 jacket for my life, I buy 300 jackets ! It is also the point many members here have raised about the US$300 mark jackets with better P-T-Q; BECAUSE WE, members here, are well-versed about what is quality & most importantly, what we think a fair price for "quality".
#321 The reason being the thought of "winning at the starting line" prevails, The younger generation always wants THE BEST for their 1st jacket. They may not know about the very details of the jackets, but they can afford the double in price difference for maybe JUST 1 jacket AND they got recognition from the peers that they are "in the market" - why not ? That is the reason of the increase in sales.
Barrier in languages is a problem hindering some Chinese makers, IMO.
Ken: Is there a difference between "replicating an original" vs " replicating a Buzz Rickson or GW", Is the former being more noble ? I am not challenging. I myself do some replica. I always remind myself, how about if Bronson is able to source Waldes/ MASH in their future products, what is the edge of my replica when I looked back 10 years from now I still have had made a damn good quality jacket - Then I focus more on the period cut, the original zipper,etc. - that is TOO expensive for a mass market maker to copy [- even for the BEST MAKERS]. Is that what you refer to ?

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

Ken: Is there a difference between "replicating an original" vs " replicating a Buzz Rickson", Is the former being more noble ?

If the "Buzz Rickson" is a replica of an original, then there is no difference. If Buzz designed a jacket which was then copied then that's a no-no

Ditto if someone copied Aero's replica of, let's say, the Original Hercules of our 59'er Highwayman, then again no difference, can't say I'd be too chuffed to see our name in the blurb though.

On the other hand I always feel p*ssed seeing copies our our own designs. It happens all the time, one firm has even set their whole business up copying Aero designs.

That's not noble at all, whose ever original is being copied.

Geeboo

Agree. That is about vision & language barrier. I find many Chinese makers TOO silly to copy a Buzz half belt which copied from a Hercules half belt, but not copying a Hercules half belt direct. One reason for sure I can tell is that the Chinese makers cannot get an original Hercules to copy. another sure thing is If I were to give them an original Hercules half belt to copy, The ultimately product will be jaw-dropping in price to quality ratio.
1 silly Q I want to ask for a long time, your Aero is diff from the Aero Clothing Co. we see in WWII A2, right ?
2nd Q: Ken, Can you show me an original design of yours in your jackets ? I am not aware of Buzz or RMC or GW do any "NEW design" of theirs ?

Last edited:

Technonut2112

Many here have seen pics of my Chinese 'Aeronaut'. Just over $200.00 USD shipped to my door, and I can pretty much guarantee that it was copied from a procured original.. It's THAT good. VERY nice cowhide, and graining-up nicely. With the extremely good quality of the shell / overall construction, I can live with the lining being a 60-40 cotton/poly blend (which still breathes well, yet is more forgiving to stain removal than 100% cotton IME), and a loosely stitched button or two. The hide was advertised to be sourced from Italy, and given the quality, I have no reason to doubt it.

Like most of us here, I've been a leather jacket affectionado for many years. Not a newbie who doesn't know quality when it's in their hands, or on their backs.. ;)

Pilot

Soon we will all travel in faked Airbus’s and Boeing’s...just b-cause its cool... and why paying ( quote: helping to finance the airline’s Aircrafts purchases decisions...) the “arrogant extreeeeem prices” of the prime makers... ( airliners).?
Even if you dont fly...watch your head...incoming...!!!

Ken at Aero Leather

1 silly Q I want to ask for a long time, your Aero is diff from the Aero Clothing Co. we see in WWII A2, right ?
2nd Q: Ken, Can you show me an original design of yours in your jackets ? I am not aware of Buzz or RMC or GW do any "NEW design" of theirs ?

A. 1. In what way does it differ? Apart for the standard WW2 rough'n'ready make up
A. 2. Here's a few to be going on with in addition to the Highwayman
Shackleton, Hooch Hauler, Cropduster, Hudson, Sunburst, TrailRider, Work Coat, Route 66, Teamster, King of the Road, there are loads more

Ken at Aero Leather

Ken: Is there a difference between "replicating an original" vs " replicating a Buzz Rickson or GW", Is the former being more noble ? I am not challenging. I myself do some replica. I always remind myself, how about if Bronson is able to source Waldes/ MASH in their future products, what is the edge of my replica when I looked back 10 years from now I still have had made a damn good quality jacket - Then I focus more on the period cut, the original zipper,etc. - that is TOO expensive for a mass market maker to copy [- even for the BEST MAKERS]. Is that what you refer to ?

I take it addition is an edit.

Here's a run through my history in manufacturing you'll see what I mean.

1960s. Fashion Leathers all my own designs.........my designs were regularly copied, I didn't mind too much as we rarely made more than 36 of any one design.
1970s. The most financial rewarding era. Designing and making "On ofs" for the rich & famous. Very lucrative and my work was rarely copied as there were so few pieces to copy.
1980s onwards. Replicating Vintage at Aero. How could I moan if someone else copied the same original as we had?
1980s onwards. Aero's own Vintage inspired designs. This is where it get's really annoying. It takes ages getting the cut right, getting the detailling to look right, getting the pockets exactly where they look best and are most comfortable to use. Getting the lining right for the style etc. Having done all this and having it copied, virtually stitch for stitch, often replicated from a dismantled Aero jacket (Illegal but hard to prove) or worse, now that gauls.

Take the Highwayman

Our first version (1983) was an very Americanised version to our own specification and design of the 50s Rivetts original, This was copied by everyone from RL downwards. This is very uncool in my opinion.
The second version (2013) we did was a clone of the original Rivetts jacket from the 50s. We can't complainm at all if this is copied.
The third version (2016) is our Premier Range 30's Highwayman. New cut, new 30's based patterns, new hardware, different panelling, new collar, cuffs etc. So far there are no copies of this vesion that I'm aware of, but they won't be long and I won't be happy.

Copies of copies are fair game, copies of other's current and unique designs are not

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

Sorry, I do not understand the meaning of that sentence "A. 1. In what way does it differ? Apart for the standard WW2 rough'n'ready make up" as an ans to my Q: " your [company] Aero is diff erent from the Aero Clothing Co. we see in WWII A2, right ? "

Sorry I thought you meant the jacket
Yes, different company, same name, same product in some cases, that's all