• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR BRONCO A-2 Jacket Review & Pics

Brettafett

Hi all,
Here are some pics of the updated AVI LTHR Bronco jackets. I got both the seal and the russet versions. I was curious to compare them with the first seal Bronco I received a few months back (which has become one of my go-too jackets). This review is essentially the same one that I posted on the other forum, for the benefit of those here.
AVI BRONCO SEAL 1.jpg AVI BRONCO RUSSET 1.jpg
The 'upgraded' jacket, is essentially the same as the first incarnation, however this jacket is a step-up, component-wise.
Its has a lovely repro M-39 Talon zipper, the addition of the cross stitch at the base of the zipper and apparently... the label was up-tweaked, although I thought the previous one was fine.
AVI BRONCO RUSSET 6.JPG AVI BRONCO SEAL 5.jpg
These jackets are made with a slightly thicker goatskin than the previous incarnation, which is frankly... very nice indeed. It has loads of grain and character, its flexible, comfortable... and strong. One can feel that it will last and last.
In fact, I have some goatskin samples from a couple of top repro makers, and comparing them side-by-side with these jackets... these jackets compare very well indeed... Its the real deal.
AVI BRONCO RUSSET 2.jpg AVI BRONCO SEAL 2.jpg
I really like the colour, the seal especially... its a very authentic mid brown shade. Both the russet and seal, have slight hue variations...
AVI BRONCO SEAL 4.jpgAVI BRONCO RUSSET 4.jpg
Its more obvious with the russet, one can see some lighter undertones, which should become more apparent over time as one wears the jacket in. In fact, with the russet jacket, there are even slight colour variations between different panels on this jacket, which looks fantastic.
That said, I am more a seal-man myself, (I'm not the world’s biggest fan of russet colours or hues). The russet jacket is a bit 'light and loud' imo. I really like it, but for me, if I can only keep one... its the seal.
AVI BRONCO SEAL 3.jpg
Fit is much the same as the original jacket, roughly the same measurements, although... and this is perhaps due to the slightly more robust leather, it feels just a smidgen trimmer. I'm glad I went with a 42 again, fits great.
AVI BRONCO RUSSET 3.jpg
Some observations...
The russet jacket has a lighter brown knit and the cuffs have an almost imperceptible seam, this is unlike the seal, which has the seal brown cuffs with no seam and these are great.
The russet jacket has a silver throat hook, with closed eyelets... which is unlike the seal's grey hollow eyelet, which I think (and I am open to correction) is more authentic.
The jackets are well made for sure, although some stitching is a little uneven and inconsistent, which ironically, makes them even more 'WW2 authentic' (this is just me being pedantic and going over the jacket with a fine tooth comb).

As before, I think these are great jackets, especially for the price. Some small refinements perhaps... with the stitching, collar tips and pocket flap curve... (more pedantic details ... will elevate these jackets to another level.
I think as the production team settles in and gets their heads around how these jackets are put together and also how discerning the guys and gals who buy them are... The better these jackets will become.
These are excellent, great looking, comfortable, quality options for those who want a decent repro of an original maker contract, without having to take out a small loan for a top tier jacket.
I am looking forward to whats coming next.

Brettafett

As i said, I prefer the seal colour, but thats always been my preference... This russet is nice though, I really like the subtle hues and character of the leather... TBH, its very similar to the old Aero and ELC russet jackets I've had/ seen, esp the early caramel ELC Werbers (this is maybe a touch lighter) and I've seen a GW goat A-2 that was very similar to this. I think it will age beautifully.
Check this pic below from ELC's 2017 pop up, three Havana russet A-2s... all different. Look how light the one is on the far left.
107282-a352efeeb486e973e1e12e43d77ffb62.jpg
Also, compare with these original WW2 russet jackets below.
107279-7b1bdf199ceb12ef2299ce688efd0f0f.jpg 107280-c407b0c6aaacb1e4f378db812a5a61ae.jpg 107278-b90be72b0f47d59d8e9ee914c74f61ad.jpg
This looks exactly like AVI Bronco's russet colour.
Fit-wise, I'm normally a 40 long... I wear a 42 AVI Bronco, which is accurate, as I wear a 42 original A-2 jacket. This russet version fits well, although I can feel a very slight 'trimness', but I think this new goatskin will account for that. I love it, its slightly thicker, maybe not quite as soft and flexible as my previous seal version (that does not mean its stiff, far from it), but its still very comfortable and easy to move around in.
I have long since lost concern over whether a jacket's shoulders rounds off a little, so much is due to the pattern and the particular contract and preferred fit. Most WW2 pics you will find, have the jackets a touch big on the wearers anyway. Its all over the place. We're lucky, we get to choose and custom fit.
I feel, after well over 20 top tier jackets over the last 15 years that these jackets compare well.
There is simply a level of sophistication with and ELC, GW etc that you are not going to find on a jacket under the 'uber' £££ $$$ price range.
But who else does a decent 'original maker' WW2 patterned mid-priced jacket? Perfect for a knock around or as a patch/ paint up jacket that won't break the bank, and thats what these are.
I think some fine-tuning to the details and these will really size-up well.
I'm comparing this goatskin side by side with my current ELC goatskin samples and its not far off at all, in grain, thickness or feel.
I will take some pics and post a review soon.

Brettafett

This is my previous AVI seal Bronco. I received this a few months back and its one of my go-too jackets.
AVI BRONCO A-2 1.jpg
Posting here, so you can compare with the 'upgraded' version.
This seal goatskin was slightly thinner and more malleable, but oh so comfortable.
AVI BRONCO A-2 3.jpg
I took some Surgical Spirits to it the other day, for a light, subtle rub-over... and it looks fantastic.
AVI BRONCO A-2 4.jpg AVI BRONCO A-2 5.jpg AVI BRONCO A-2 6.jpg
Just removed some of the surface sheen and lightly burnished the high points... due to the grain, the effect is very nice.
AVI BRONCO Seal 2.JPG
The original review of this jacket can be found here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/avi-lthr-bronco-a-2-jacket-review-pics.92117/

Teddy

Thanks for sharing your review here now, Brett! :)

I'd always wanted to have a 506th Regiment A-2 so I'd pitch their patch!

Smithy

Great review and good looking jackets.

And after all the big boys have been doubling their prices over the last decade, nice to see a fair, not highway robbery price for a nice looking A-2.

Garylafortuna

Flight jacket interest is on a roll. It won't be long before other companies like Avi Leather pop out of the woodwork offering a solid product for a price that isn't over the moon. This forum is a great example of the growing interest in Militaria. It wasn't that long ago when only a handful of manufacturers offered a decent repro A-2, and even our beloved VLJ forum was in dire straits. A lot more folks will now be joining the ranks. Got to start somewhere, and this is an excellent somewhere. Bravo Brett.

Teddy

Great review and good looking jackets.

And after all the big boys have been doubling their prices over the last decade, nice to see a fair, not highway robbery price for a nice looking A-2.
FYI: AVI also lifted its price slightly ;)

falcon_ib

Thanks for the review!

For those curious, I emailed AVILTHR asking about more sizes several weeks ago. They say they're planning to release more sizes in the next few months.
I also asked about the country of manufacture but received no response for that question.

Evan

jeremiah

I make handbags, wallets, belts and more from leather. I have worked with goat, cow, sheep, calf, ostrich and more as well. One thing I have come to know for sure is a well tanned hide is a well tanned hide. A poor tanned hide is still a poor tanned hide. This is regardless of the area.

From what Brett says, this goat is a well tanned hide. It’s also chrome tanned which is harder to get wrong.

Pilot

Just rece
I make handbags, wallets, belts and more from leather. I have worked with goat, cow, sheep, calf, ostrich and more as well. One thing I have come to know for sure is a well tanned hide is a well tanned hide. A poor tanned hide is still a poor tanned hide. This is regardless of the area.

From what Brett says, this goat is a well tanned hide. It’s also chrome tanned which is harder to get wrong.

Just received several inquiries from silk scarfs maker from Iran, perfect fit, very cheap...looking for free world silent quite distributors... Also... North Korean cotton garnment makers looking for distributors within the Western " I dont care world...cheap and it must fit world " for distributors of their new product chain...free Cotton T-Shirts , free leather jacket line...
Shall we all find it "Great...cheap fit...comfy fit...super product...I can buy from where I want,...no evidence of ..." as Long as no evidence of evil or against our "westerners" rules...
Sorry! my concience...My kids (and others, plus our planet´s ) future,
You are sceptical..?? Google..." Cheap textile industry in North Korea...Silk products from Iran..." Plus all the usual toxic material sold out of India, Bangladesh and China...etc...
SAVE OUR TROOPS!, SAVE OUR PLANET, SAVE OUR WORKING PEOPLE!

jeremiah

I agree. I was speaking only of the leather quality. Here in the USA we only have two tannieries which do only veg tanned leather. Most leather is tanned outside of the USA. Some companies here say their leather is American made but what is really the case is the hides are from here, tanned in other countries then shipped back here for retail.

Pilot

I agree. I was speaking only of the leather quality. Here in the USA we only have two tannieries which do only veg tanned leather. Most leather is tanned outside of the USA. Some companies here say their leather is American made but what is really the case is the hides are from here, tanned in other countries then shipped back here for retail.
Hi Jeremiah,
thx, just amazing, that some here are accepting .“.. Ohhh perfect fit,,,, comfortable wearing ... no evidence of child labor, no toxics etc... „
Good for them, wish they will never have their beloved ones to go and work in this kind of environement...
...Good morning...wake up!...
This kind of low price!...just be realistic...as already suspected here and in other forums...
Leather hides only...
Google : tanneries in Bangladesh, North Korean Garnment industry...Iran sillk selling etc.... Please just dont ignore and commit to this situation, since the great new A-2 and G-1 maker from „ Denmark „ wont.... ... World (decent) market goatskin 39 Euro/m2 ...approx 4-5 m2 for a jacket... plus all others...Only for the skin/leather part...Surely all political but and apologies for that...costs and prices are real..if made in a decent world.. Sure you are free...to buy..sure all maybe a big hoax...but..
Low cost adds from the happy sponsor of „ uncertain labor ethics ... OK...„ but also why no clear statements from the so called „danish maker“... ??? A lot here are believing ...is not at all the maker...workmanship.. provider... a bit fishy...just a broker and dealer...
Made in Denmark! big BS....until one proves me and all others here wrong..If wrong..I will tip my hat so down its even buried in the ground...if I am wrong.
Please prove me/us wrong!

Last edited:

Pilot

There are a lot of flags in the US... „support our troops..“
I love and admire that even not having a US passport ... Why no „support our artisans „ Why no „ support our workers“ why no „ support our and others children“ our future ????
I am in Charlotte-NC in two days on the graduation party of my nephew...The son of my passed away brother.. Happy he got all these great opportunities...in the free world ... (not in the cheap comfy... fit all ...good world... the real care world ...) ...Thx to the free world and all those who support ethics and our values...
Its not for free...not cheap! not always comfy... not always fit all... it requires courage and investment...“ you only get what you pay for“...
I am happy to ( donate) pay for our future...children...I will never support uncertain unconfirmed suspicious products...
No origin... suspicious...!
Wish all the best and same...
Thx to all those who made it happening so far..

Last edited:

Pilot

We will find out...and disclose it..Working on it already..,​
BL/AWB‘s are traceable within EU...
Finally, amazing, that „ Made in Denmark“ did not react to all this...
Any other maker would have already rocked the place... here ... silence...

Last edited:

Smithy

The whole going apeshit because something is made on the Subcontinent or other realms in Asia or the Middle East is a slippery slope. I would bet very large sums of money that every single person here, including those who trumpet and carp on about dodgy working conditions and countries with lax labour laws, all have dozens of products in their houses and places of work made in these countries and in conditions and environments which would not pass employment nor health and safety laws in their own developed countries. In truth acting excessively pious and affronted about jackets being made in these places is a little over the top when your underpants, the loo roll holder in your bathroom, your golf shoes/bag, pots and pans, tablecloths, lawnmower, leather car seats, kids' toys, cricket pads, carpets, DIY tools/equipment, etc, etc ad infinitum are made in these places.

Teddy

The whole going apeshit because something is made on the Subcontinent or other realms in Asia or the Middle East is a slippery slope. I would bet very large sums of money that every single person here, including those who trumpet and carp on about dodgy working conditions and countries with lax labour laws, all have dozens of products in their houses and places of work made in these countries and in conditions and environments which would not pass employment nor health and safety laws in their own developed countries. In truth acting excessively pious and affronted about jackets being made in these places is a little over the top when your underpants, the loo roll holder in your bathroom, your golf shoes/bag, pots and pans, tablecloths, lawnmower, leather car seats, kids' toys, cricket pads, carpets, DIY tools/equipment, etc, etc ad infinitum are made in these places.
First I think most of us here are perfectly fine with Made in South Asia or Made somewhere else. Some would buy such jackets, others might not. It's all good since we all have different budget and expectation.

Meanwhile, I think many who argued because of the lack of information/provenance do raise a valid point, despite some sounding a bit pious. We all own items that are not sustainable or labor-friendly, but that doesn't mean we stop thinking about the possibility of child labor and toxic environment. Whenever we could, it is good that we try to demand provenance and make an educated buying decision (which I personally did not as I already bought 3 from AVI). I don't mind at all that AVI might be producing from South Asia but I do strongly prefer that if child labor or any labor is involved, at least the environment is healthy enough so as not to hinder the workers' productivity and health later.

It doesn't hurt anyone to insist on this right? If some fellows still prefer AVI's competitive pricing, they'd go for it. I don't judge them for that but I would keep asking about provenance before making a purchase myself. What do you think? :)