• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR Bronco 29191 A-2

Smithy

Talking French artists, I see from Romain's Instagram that he was floating around at FL signing a few things and doodling away.

Brettafett

Speak of the....
I met and had a long chat with him. Great guy. Passionate. He owns an original L-4 Grasshopper Cub, that he has had restored. Saw all the pics, uber-interesting info about it (on his website)... He is hoping to fly it over to the show next year.
The L-4 is my dream plane. Flown one a couple of times, just pure joy for the average pilot, who can't fly Spitfires or P-51s.
Oh, bought a book and had him illustrate an L-4 Cub and sign for me. (what a groupie!) (thats Eric's comic on the right)
IMG_20180714_152546751_HDR.jpg

Thomas Koehle

Eric Herenguel is a nice guy like Brett already pointed out.

Got his Comic „Cong Crew“ but that‘s just one of his works.

Also got some patches - he is a real artist and nice to talk to.

Highly recommend pal ...

Thomas Koehle

seems i need to get in touch with my finance dept. to see whether I'd get some extra budget for this months also for a AVI BRONCO ...

on the pics the jacket looks relatively long?????

Smithy / Dmitry how is your impression????

someone wrote in another thread I don't find rubbing with acetone also removes a bit of the initial coloring??? Any comparison pics available somewhere?

Dr H

seems i need to get in touch with my finance dept. to see whether I'd get some extra budget for this months also for a AVI BRONCO ...

someone wrote in another thread I don't find rubbing with acetone also removes a bit of the initial coloring??? Any comparison pics available somewhere?

I’d avoid acetone - it’s far too strong a solvent, in my opinion.
Go with an alcohol as you can dilute it in water to alter the strength.

Flightengineer

Thomas, my Bronco is "first edition", as I wrote earlier. I just replase zipper. This jacket get nice fade (forgive me this "denim term"). It seemed to me that the jacket does it "willingly" and I'm not against this.
I wear mine a lot about 4-5 month and certainly not every day. But quite often...
In Lelystadwe we hit the rain, but jacket managed it without any consequences.
Aging on mine is natural, I did not do anything on purpose.
Experiments for aging on the same jacket made our friend Brett.
By the way, he has the first an the second - updated - version of AVI Bronco, the leather there is clearly a bit different. You better ask him. Because the "first version" like mine probably already sold out.
Although, who knows.

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

THX Dmitry and "Dr H" for the input.

Off course only "natural" wear is the "real deal" and "Flightie`s" jacket faded really nice.

Maybe I`d better leave "fingers off" of such procedures ...

Smithy

Hi Thomas,

My Bronco is the latest type and I'm thrilled with it, the pattern, leather and hardware. The AVI Bronco is copied from an original Bronco and so has the features of that maker. It's not overly long although the Bronco is perhaps a smidge longer than some other patterns. I think the idea of length is accentuated by the Bronco having square, wide shoulders and a trim torso. I find it a really comfortable jacket to wear especially for my build.

In terms of weathering I wouldn't bother, the AVI goat has loads of character and the grain starts to pop with minimal wear. I think it should develop a great patina with wear.

Hope that helps!

B-Man2

Thomas
Just to add to Tim’s advice on the AVI Bronco , the Seal colored jacket is the best one in my opinion. I purchased a Russett colored one but was not happy with the color as it seems to be a little to intense ( orange colored) . I’ve been working on darkening down the hide a bit to an acceptable color. As far as the jacket goes , it’s a deal for the money .
Saludos
Burt

Thomas Koehle

Thomas
Just to add to Tim’s advice on the AVI Bronco , the Seal colored jacket is the best one in my opinion. I purchased a Russett colored one but was not happy with the color as it seems to be a little to intense ( orange colored) . I’ve been working on darkening down the hide a bit to an acceptable color. As far as the jacket goes , it’s a deal for the money .
Saludos
Burt

THX for the details Burt!

Which size did you choose?

Saludos!

Thomas

B-Man2

THX for the details Burt!

Which size did you choose?

Saludos!

Thomas

Hi Thomas
I ordered the XL thinking that the sizes were the same as US sizes . Once I found out that they ran small I realized I needed a XXL however they were sold out of that size. Remember when we first corresponded, and I asked you if you could find an XXL in China? I eventually sold the jacket and have not been able to obtain an XXL. If you are looking for a Bronson B-15a I would definitely suggest you go with an XXL as I think we may be close to the same size . An XXL Bronson would be a size 44 in US sizing.
Saludos
Burt

Thomas Koehle

Hi Thomas
I ordered the XL thinking that the sizes were the same as US sizes . Once I found out that they ran small I realized I needed a XXL however they were sold out of that size. Remember when we first corresponded, and I asked you if you could find an XXL in China? I eventually sold the jacket and have not been able to obtain an XXL. If you are looking for a Bronson B-15a I would definitely suggest you go with an XXL as I think we may be close to the same size . An XXL Bronson would be a size 44 in US sizing.
Saludos
Burt

Burt,

was refering to AVI ... :)

B-Man2

Thomas
Sorry got caught up in two different threads at the same time. My AVI is a size 48 the biggest size they make. It fits me well not too big but not real trim. I normally wear a 46 ELC or Good Wear, and I’m 6’1” and 205 . I hope that helps with your size choice.
Saludos
Burt

Brettafett

Thomas, I sized up also. Normally wear a 40 (long) ELC, GW etc... But as expected, AVI is patterned off an original, so went with the 42.
Its a good fit, still trim, still has a sharp profile and is very comfortable...
My first Bronco, same one that Dmitry has, is very comfortable, its quite light as A-2s repros go, the browny/ dark russet/ light seal goat on that one is a bit thinner than the current Bronco. Its currently my go-too summer jacket. (I plan on replacing the zipper down-the-line like Dmitry did also...)
The current Bronco is made of a lovely goatskin, full of grain, slightly more robust, of a more 'Belgian' chocolate brown ;). Has the upgraded Talon M-39 zip etc... Its a great jacket.
It feels a smidgen trimmer than the earlier one, but this is on account of the hide I'm sure. You can't go wrong. Get the seal.