• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR 55J14 G-1 Jacket knit & zipper 'upgrade' pics

Brettafett

I like my AVI LTHR 55J14 G-1 so much, I decided to invest in some upgrades.
There is currently an 'upgraded' version available, but I am very happy with the jacket I already have. So, to bring it up to the 'best it can be'... I replaced the zipper with a 'higher grade' repro silver Talon (provided by AVI)... Puller correctly placed on the righthand side.
I also replaced the knit with more authentic, seamless, seal brown knit from Larry over at Flightjacketknits (I elected to go with the double weave for the waistband for stretch and longevity).
The work was done by Donna over at www.thebespokeaviatorjacketcompany.co.uk, (www.horizondesigns.co.uk) and all the bits were installed beautifully.
IMG_20181028_093933236_HDR.jpg

I specifically asked for the cuffs to be installed in such a way as to give the sleeves a bit more length. May look like a bit of tunnelling, but I can lift my arms right up and the cuffs sit at my wrists. Nice.
IMG_20181028_093854574_HDR.jpg

The colour of the knit matches the chocolate brown of the goat beautifully.
Look at that grain on one of the sleeves. Goatskin is supple, feels to be correct weight and full of character.
P1250553.JPG

All said and done, I am pleased with the result, this jacket is a cracking good repro of the 55J14 contract....
P1250554.JPG

Compare with these pics of Cpt Royce Williams' G-1, likely a 55J14.
Royce Williams.jpg

Royce Williams3.png

Brettafett

Thanks guys... Yes, this jacket is not going anywhere. Got to wear it all day on Sunday. Was pretty cold, with some single digit windchill, some rain and even some hail! The jacket was warm and handled the weather beautifully. Stopped the wind point blank and the mouton collar up, was cozy. All I had on under, was a long sleeve T-shirt. Happy days.

Greg Gale

Indeed...I got to wear mine for a week in Portugal by the sea. I certainly understand now the design of the G-1, why it is made of goat, has a fur collar, etc...It's a true Navy jacket. I would have frozen to death in my A-2.

Brent

Brett, looks great and I agree with Greg, "a definite keeper. " However I must ask have you ever tried a G-1 or a M-422A with the rib-rack knits? All my G-1's have the rib-rack knits except J-7823D, which I never wear. Guess it's just what I'm use to but they seem to work better for me.

Regards,

Brettafett

Het Brent, yes... I have owned an original M422a with original rib-rack waist band and an original 60-something Star G-1. Also an ELC M422a and have a Headwind M422a, both with the rib-rack knit. All original M422as had rib-rack knit, as did the early G-1 models, but I understand that later G-1s went double ply. Others will better be able to elaborate on this. I have had Larry's rib-rack knit and its nice... but for longevity, I wanted the double ply. Has better stretch. I know its not technically accurate for this 55J14, but I prefer it.

Clark J

Looks great ! The best reason it looks great on the OP is he doesn’t have a “gut” ,, any G-1 model doesn’t look good on a guy , like me that have a belly !! Mash Co Japan has the ribrack knits too .

johnwayne

Nice G1 that Brett, having had/got originals what tempted you down the budget route with AVI? Surely nothing beats an good original whether a premium or budget repro? Re pocket flap perhaps just me being picky but looks a tad too deep, maybe 1/2" or so - still got the originals to compare?

London Cabbie

I like my AVI LTHR 55J14 G-1 so much, I decided to invest in some upgrades.
There is currently an 'upgraded' version available, but I am very happy with the jacket I already have. So, to bring it up to the 'best it can be'... I replaced the zipper with a 'higher grade' repro silver Talon (provided by AVI)... Puller correctly placed on the righthand side.
I also replaced the knit with more authentic, seamless, seal brown knit from Larry over at Flightjacketknits (I elected to go with the double weave for the waistband for stretch and longevity).
The work was done by Donna over at www.thebespokeaviatorjacketcompany.co.uk, (www.horizondesigns.co.uk) and all the bits were installed beautifully.
View attachment 10800
I specifically asked for the cuffs to be installed in such a way as to give the sleeves a bit more length. May look like a bit of tunnelling, but I can lift my arms right up and the cuffs sit at my wrists. Nice.
View attachment 10806
The colour of the knit matches the chocolate brown of the goat beautifully.
Look at that grain on one of the sleeves. Goatskin is supple, feels to be correct weight and full of character.
View attachment 10802
All said and done, I am pleased with the result, this jacket is a cracking good repro of the 55J14 contract....
View attachment 10803
Compare with these pics of Cpt Royce Williams' G-1, likely a 55J14.
View attachment 10804
View attachment 10805
I really like this budget G-1.