• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avi Leather G-1 or M-422a?

PilatusPilot

Hello everyone, I finally made up my mind after a year of procrastination. I am just a few days (possibly hours) away from ordering an AVI jacket. Would someone help me settle this internal debate?

Fist of all, I've never been a fan of the M-422a (I'm sorry fella's). The only reason; is the very triangular looking mutton collar. Avi's offering however is not so so bad, and it's starting to grow on me. Mostly because today I watched a YouTube video from one of the members on this page (channel name Reflected Simulations). I found that the jacket looked very very very very good on him, it fit like a glove if I'm being honest and the "triangular" shaped mutton collar didn't seem to bother me.

Now on the other hand there is the G-1 55j14 model if I am not mistaken. That collar is much slimmer which I prefer. The jacket is also a more athletic build which will look much much better. This however is also a problem. I own a 5* 55j14, my size exactly I would say, perfect in the shoulders, perfect in the sleeves and the torso. But the bottom part around the belly... It's not tight but it's slim. I'm a tall very slim guy, and always have been. I use the jacket I have in the cockpit and I always found it uncomfortable zipped up when sitting down, which kind of made me stop wearing it while flying. I've always wondered how much slimmer does one have to be for this jacket to be comfortable sitting down? And how did the pilots back in the days sit in a tight fighter cockpit in one of those? Maybe it's just the one from 5*?

So here's my conclusion... Do I go with the more comfortable looking jacket (m422) which I still find a little less attractive, or do I go for the athletic 55j14 (probably a size bigger this time) and cross my fingers it fits me more comfortably?

Let me know what you guys and galls think :)

Brettafett

AVIs 55J14 is trim in the waist (as per originals). Size grading may be a factor, I know they only have one original size 40 or 42 they copied their patterns off.
Also, a number of suppliers in Paks used AVI's 55J14 repro to make their jackets. This was a 'thing' years ago. Im not sure 5* has acquired their own 55J14 since, they may have.
But I'd think your 5* 55J14 would fit the same as AVIs, due to the above.
I think 5* may have other G-1 patterns on offer, which will likely be different to the 55J14.

Personally, having own Both AVIs G-1 and M-422a, I'd go with the M-422a
Definitely better all round fit. Such a pleasure to wear.
I would however, request the dark seal goat and mid brown thread (as used on the ANJ-3), makes for a great combo.
Sizing, at least one size up from your chest.

You could always order both and return the one you dont keep.

PilatusPilot

AVIs 55J14 is trim in the waist (as per originals). Size grading may be a factor, I know they only have one original size 40 or 42 they copied their patterns off.
Also, a number of suppliers in Paks used AVI's 55J14 repro to make their jackets. This was a 'thing' years ago. Im not sure 5* has acquired their own 55J14 since, they may have.
I think 5* may have other G-1 patterns on offer, which will likely be different to the 55J14.

I would however, request the dark seal goat and mid brown thread (as used on the ANJ-3), makes for a great combo.

Thank you so much, I was hoping for someone with both to give me an explanation on the fit differences. I think I will pick up the m422a after all :) now I just have to figure out the size. If you don't mind me asking, which size did you get for your height?

Brettafett

Ive reviewed both my M-422a and G-1 in Repros... Somewhere

Im 5'10+, 158 and 39.5" to 40" chest, trim, with an athletic build.
The 42 fits best and I requested an extra inch in the sleeves(in the Notes box when ordering and followed up with an email).
I could probably get away with a 44 for that baggy AVG WW2 look, or if I wanted to layer up.

Generally go up one size from your chest, but larger gents may need to go up 2 or more sizes.

PilatusPilot

Ive reviewed both my M-422a and G-1 in Repros... Somewhere

Im 5'10+, 158 and 39.5" to 40" chest, trim, with an athletic build.
The 42 fits best and I requested an extra inch in the sleeves(in the Notes box when ordering and followed up with an email).
I could probably get away with a 44 for that baggy AVG WW2 look, or if I wanted to layer up.

Generally go up one size from your chest, but larger gents may need to go up 2 or more sizes.
Very interesting... Now it makes me think maybe I need a 46. I'm 43 in chest size, 6'2 with an athletic build as well... And I don't want it super tight, maybe even a bit baggy like they used to have em in wwII. Your answers are very appreciated thank you :) helps out a lot

Brettafett

What size is your 5* 55J14? Is it a regular size of custom?
I'd check the measurements of this jacket against those on AVI's website.

Based on what you say above, I recon a 46 is the way to go.

What I have done a couple of times with AVI, is order two jackets of 2 different sizes.
Yes, costs in return postage, but one gets refunded. Usually answers the question and thats worth the return postage.

PilatusPilot

What size is your 5* 55J14? Is it a regular size of custom?
I'd check the measurements of this jacket against those on AVI's website.

Based on what you say above, I recon a 46 is the way to go.

What I have done a couple of times with AVI, is order two jackets of 2 different sizes.
Yes, costs in return postage, but one gets refunded. Usually answers the question and thats worth the return postage.
Yeah I'm really on the fence of doing this. I'm currently talking with Marten by email, will send him my measurements and see what he thinks!! But 46 sounds like the way to go now that I look at it in more detail.

Deacon211

FWIW, don’t forget to consider the length. Short jackets can be a bit unpopular as they don’t look good with modern pants/jeans. But longer jackets get blousy when seated, and particularly strapped in, as all that extra jacket has no place to go.

Which is why pretty much all the flight gear I was issued sat at about waist height, which wasn’t a problem in a flight suit.

I think the m-422 was longer and more generous around the waist. G-1s shorter and closer fitting. So it may be that one hust works better in your particular cockpit.

Capt

I ordered AVI’s M422A 50 and 52 on separate occasions and kept both, really pleased with them especially the mouton and for the costs. The sizes however are close, you can stretch the 50 a bit as there is some give in the leather to make it measure close to the 52. On there website the G1 sizes where smaller than the M422A but the G1 52 is roomy compared to the M422A 52. Still kept them all to the annoyance of the bread knife. Great jackets for the money.

xontros85

Hi Brett
Regarding your suggestion for mid brown threads…would this still look correct/accurate? I’m asking coz I love this combo on their anj3

FreddyF9

Personally, I would choose the M-422A. AVI did a perfect job with it and IMO is the best replica of they made. Also, as someone else already mentioned, AVI’s 55J14 is probably the same pattern that also FS is using. In the end, to try to solve the issue you have when sitting, try sizing up a bit as other fellow members already suggested ;)

Brettafett

Personally, I would choose the M-422A. AVI did a perfect job with it and IMO is the best replica of they made. Also, as someone else already mentioned, AVI’s 55J14 is probably the same pattern that also FS is using. In the end, to try to solve the issue you have when sitting, try sizing up a bit as other fellow members already suggested ;)
5* was using AVI's 55J14 pattern
AVI was the first to make the 55J14 copied off an original they acquired (same for the Bronco). All their jackets are copied off actual originals in their collection.

5* may very well have found and copied thier own 55J14 and Bronco since then, cant say...
I do know they've acquired and been sent a number of other originals to copy also

FreddyF9

5* was using AVI's 55J14 pattern
AVI was the first to make the 55J14 copied off an original they acquired (same for the Bronco). All their jackets are copied off actual originals in their collection.

5* may very well have found and copied thier own 55J14 and Bronco since then, cant say...
I do know they've acquired and been sent a number of other originals to copy also
Maybe they did, but, on the website, the contract, description, size chart and pictures are the same of 3 years ago.
When they update one of their jackets, you see some changes. When they upgraded the russet sheepskin, also the pictures of the original Aero B-3 contract were updated.

Last edited: