• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

avi bronco

Silver Surfer

just for the hell of it, i purchased an avi leather goat bronco to see just exactly what they were offering, and what it would take to bring it up to speed. i redyed the hides with a coupla passes using light reddish-brown thinned dye. replaced the shitty collar clasp pins, and installed a nos talon puller. because the knits were sub par, ie: wrist kits had seams, and the color, weight, and weaving were all wrong, i then sent the jacket to steve to have him replace the knits with the ones that larry offers. now it is the way an a-2 is supposed to be. it looks and fits well, but as it was an experiment, i now have it up on greedbay. bottom line? with a little effort, the avi a-2s can be made to be damn near as nice, and accurate as some of the top tier repro makers.

cornhusker

I figured that beautiful Bronco was from someone from here when I saw it on greedbay. Just curious, any news on the original 1401-P you sent in for repairs?

Greg Gale

Holy Molly! What a beautiful jacket, and just my size... I'm so tempted, but I have no budget nor need for yet another jacket. At least that's what I keep saying to myself.

Brettafett

Saw that, very nice... Someone should pounce...
I bought both the seal and russet and found the components used on the seal version were of a better quality all round. Correct seamless mid brown knit, snaps and hook were all better. Why they didn't both have the same bits, I do not know... Was not a massive fan of the 'loud' russet colour either... Was thinking of doing a re-dye, but ended up keeping the seal and returning the russet. What you have done here, takes this jacket up a few notches for sure. Well done!
Am in the process of 'upgrading' my G-1.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

thanx, gents. all ya need for clasp replacements is basic hand tools. pliers, hammer, punch, metal block etc. some of the chinese co.s offer a punch set, with a dished on one side, flat on the other metal backing block, with their metal jacket studs. pretty straight forward stuff. best to purchase collar clasps and rivets from a repo maker, since you will not a 100 piece minimum per, as requested by suppliers. also, i wanted to keep the total expense down, and reckon that with original jacket cost, parts, minimum hourly rate, shipping, and knit elements replaced, i am looking at just under $700 put towards the project. money spent? yeah, but less then a college semester damn near anywhere. dunno why there is a line through this. wtf?

tjoenn

thanx, gents. all ya need for clasp replacements is basic hand tools. pliers, hammer, punch, metal block etc. some of the chinese co.s offer a punch set, with a dished on one side, flat on the other metal backing block, with their metal jacket studs. pretty straight forward stuff. best to purchase collar clasps and rivets from a repo maker, since you will not a 100 piece minimum per, as requested by suppliers. also, i wanted to keep the total expense down, and reckon that with original jacket cost, parts, minimum hourly rate, shipping, and knit elements replaced, i am looking at just under $700 put towards the project. money spent? yeah, but less then a college semester damn near anywhere. dunno why there is a line through this. wtf?
Not often I have to laugh out load as the young ones say reading comments here, but this one had me going!!! Thanks for that!!

zoomer

<bitch>
Once again I see slender “young man’s sizing” with the largest size, 48, sold out. Reminding us that some under-served customers are under-served because they are not good for the brand image.
</bitch>

B-Man2

Seems like things have been slowing down for AVI Leather. Some of their larger sizes have been out of stock for a while and it doesn't look like they're being restocked. Original maker jackets discussed a while back have not materialized. Am I being too hard on them? Has anyone heard or experienced anything new from them. I signed up to be on their distribution webpage a while back however, I haven't received one bit of information on new jackets.
I wonder what's up?

Flightengineer

Burt, the same thing. I was interested in their updated G-1. I wrote to Morten several times, but he does not respond to letters. It's hard to say what's going on there.

Brettafett

Well they did receive their new G-1s... As in Thomas' post. I have sent a few queries and received a message this week (I received an upgraded zipper to replace on my G-1). I may be totally wrong, but I recon he is moving manufacturers and having to go through the whole design process and test jacket with the new guy. He told me he is expecting the test jacket next week, in the new veg-tanned goatskin. He said he was very happy with it. As long as he gets the jackets right, I don't mind if they take a bit longer to make sure of it...
As for production jackets timing, he did not say.

Thomas Koehle

my BRONCO A2 arrived at my home - unfortunately I'm still in Mexico but will be back Friday next week and look forward to get the jacket finally in hardware ...

it`s a size 46 - will share pics as soon as I have it

2o5E7nv.jpg

B-Man2

my BRONCO A2 arrived at my home - unfortunately I'm still in Mexico but will be back Friday next week and look forward to get the jacket finally in hardware ...

it`s a size 46 - will share pics as soon as I have it

2o5E7nv.jpg
Nice Thomas!
Look forward to seeing some fit pixs. ;)

Pilot

Well they did receive their new G-1s... As in Thomas' post. I have sent a few queries and received a message this week (I received an upgraded zipper to replace on my G-1). I may be totally wrong, but I recon he is moving manufacturers and having to go through the whole design process and test jacket with the new guy. He told me he is expecting the test jacket next week, in the new veg-tanned goatskin. He said he was very happy with it. As long as he gets the jackets right, I don't mind if they take a bit longer to make sure of it...
As for production jackets timing, he did not say.
Lets see what happens...