• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Australian Army "Para Smock

CombatWombat

I've been going through my storage unit since I'm moving into my new place and since I've got the space,I'm going to be able to dedicate a room to my collection.
This is a somewhat rare Australian Army "Para Smock" that I received when I was seconded to 3RAR as a combat engineer.
It's got big bulgey pockets down the bottom and the top have a stitch along the middle to separate the pocket in two to hold magazines I'm told (never saw anyone put mags in them)
It originally had hard foam inserts,which there are spots for......but I never got them and the guys I was with never had them in.
I'm not sure if Aviation got them but CAPT Couchy might have got one or the rare as rocking horse doodoo "FR smock"

16545622925097503069918632748325.jpg

MauldinFan

It's got big bulgey pockets down the bottom and the top have a stitch along the middle to separate the pocket in two to hold magazines I'm told (never saw anyone put mags in them)
I always found it funny how many issued items were made that the rank and file did something totally different with them than what was intended.
I remember in the US Army we had LBVs, Load Bearing Vests, which had a small number of pockets in each side of the soldier's front centerline. They were supposed to be for the 30-round M-16/M-4 magazines.
Thing is, were never carried magazines in those things. I never even saw dismounts or pogue types putting magazines in them. I was an officer, but never carried a sidearm, as I wanted a rifle if it came down to it. I carried my extra magazines in either a drop bag hanging off where the holster for an M9 would be (we had our NBC mask/hood bags clipped to the left hip) or in my BDYU pants pockets if I didn't have an MRE or two to carry somewhere.

ausreenactor

I've been going through my storage unit since I'm moving into my new place and since I've got the space,I'm going to be able to dedicate a room to my collection.
This is a somewhat rare Australian Army "Para Smock" that I received when I was seconded to 3RAR as a combat engineer.
It originally had hard foam inserts,which there are spots for......but I never got them and the guys I was with never had them in.
I'm not sure if Aviation got them but CAPT Couchy might have got one or the rare as rocking horse doodoo "FR smock"

View attachment 79625
I have mine from my 126 Sig Sqn (CDO) days. Patched as WO1... Promoted each step until CAPT.

AAAvn got them for FARP operators as they don't generate static.

Only field gament that is allowed to be adorned with one of the four parachutist badges.

CombatWombat

I have mine from my 126 Sig Sqn (CDO) days. Patched as WO1... Promoted each step until CAPT.

AAAvn got them for FARP operators as they don't generate static.

Only field gament that is allowed to be adorned with one of the four parachutist badges.
Ahhh is FARP what JTAC"s are called now?

B-Man2

FARP
Forward Arming and Refueling Point.

Is JTAC
Joint Tactical Air Center or Command ?
( Just guessing at this one)

ausreenactor

Joint Terminal Attack Controller (JTAC) is the term used in the United States Armed Forces and some other military forces for a qualified service member who directs the action of combat aircraft engaged in close air support and other offensive air operations from a forward position.

JTAC and TACP send the hate in support of ground troops. Control fast air...

Like the guy in We Were Soldiers.... but as a dedicated role. Moved into the Specs Ops realm a while back...

CombatWombat

Joint Terminal Attack Controller (JTAC) is the term used in the United States Armed Forces and some other military forces for a qualified service member who directs the action of combat aircraft engaged in close air support and other offensive air operations from a forward position.

JTAC and TACP send the hate in support of ground troops. Control fast air...

Like the guy in We Were Soldiers.... but as a dedicated role. Moved into the Specs Ops realm a while back...
Ahhhh I thought that they wore the "tankie two piece" in aramid?
You know....the shirt that's about shite for anything useful but with the trousers that are fantastic for mounted work (or being stuck in the back of a Herc for the flight to Rockhampton airport with carnation tubes in the big arse pocket)