• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attn '60s G-1 Jacket Fans - New Listing

MikeyB-17

The puller's been changed. Not a problem, they're pretty much identical, but it certainly isn't anything unusual. Nice jacket, good luck with it :D

Jaydee

Hey guys, always gotta piss on someones parade huh? :lol: Well it looks original to me, no signs of tampering with the zipper tracks, tape or other hardware. Is it so far fetched that Brill Bros would have had a few Conmar parts left over after the change over. Or that Scovill may have took over the left over stock from Conmar. Either way it's gotta be one of the few G-1s with this setup. I have never seen it before, and I have seen a lot of G-1 jackets. Aside from the Zip, it's a damn fine jacket anyway. Thanks for wishing me luck though! ;)

watchmanjimg

I wouldn't lose heart just yet. As I mentioned above, this situation is very common in '68-dated MA-1 and L-2B jackets. I have three MA-1s from the March 1 1968 contract and I believe all 3 main zippers have Scovill-marked pullers and Conmar-marked boxes. I've seen the same thing on L-2Bs. I must admit I was a little surprised the first time I noticed this, but as I acquired more '68 examples I realized it must be more than a coincidence. Additionally, some of my jackets have the larger sleeve zip puller commonly seen on later CWU and Army Nomex helicopter/CVC jackets.

Based on the foregoing, I'd say the seller's information regarding the Scovill takeover is reasonably accurate. There's little doubt that Scovill acquired Conmar at some point:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-18168753.html

In any case, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to own this jacket based solely on the zipper as it's probably 100% original.

Jaydee

watchmanjimg said:
I wouldn't lose heart just yet.
I wont, My name is Hartley! Thank you for your kind words!!
Name02.jpg

This is what I heard from a friend of mine: "Scovill acquired conmar in feb 65 the last contract to have a conmar zipper was the foster C contract from the early year 65, even the GREGRORY SPORTS WEAR contract, although they were among the C series, were loaded with scovill since they were produced in in year 67 (the last year of c series jackets). That's why all the D series jackets were loaded with scovill zippers..."
Except, it seems, this one that I listed on E-Bay. As well a load of nylon jackets, it sounds like.

Jaydee

joeson said:
Surely this is not going to affect the value or desirability though?
Well I don't know, maybe. We shall see. I think it would be nuts to have a unique feature on a jacket your selling, and not point it out though! ;)