• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ATF Tanker

Smithy

I feel your pain buddy . That was one of my first flight jackets years ago and I sold it off. The cost of one was so reasonable for what you got and you could beat it up and wash it and it just continued to look good . I could kick myself for letting it go.

I've got two ATF B-10s Burt and wouldn't part with either of them! I reckon once the US and Chinese governments sort this trade spat out, that Rollin will do another run. Obviously there's the demand because he wouldn't be considering doing them again otherwise, he's a sharp cookie.

B-Man2

Guess what ????? First time just back in from poopen the puppies and yep RIPPED this one too.Tried to take it off so carefully but to no avail.
Clark
Thanks for the info. Where does it keep ripping again? I’m asking because I’m waiting on one.
Cheers

Micawber

Guess what ????? First time just back in from poopen the puppies and yep RIPPED this one too.Tried to take it off so carefully but to no avail.

That's interesting. Mine has been my jacket of choice while installing security cameras around my property this week, in fact I've had it on each and every day while up and down ladders, drilling holes in wook, brickwork, blockwork, wiring outside, seeing to hard physical jobs around the stable yard, shifting fodder, you name it and it's holding up very well. Mine is quite roomy - shoulders included, meaning that there is quite a bit of interior airspace and it's not restricting movement or feeling tight anywhere at all.

Clark J

Clark
Thanks for the info. Where does it keep ripping again? I’m asking because I’m waiting on one.
Cheers
Right at the top in the middle of the back. I'am going to try one more but take it to my tailor so she can put 2 more lines of stitching even before it put it on . Not tight plenty of room ,sz 48. She said again they know there's a problem in the bigger sizes. It's simply a production deal.

Micawber

Right at the top in the middle of the back. I'am going to try one more but take it to my tailor so she can put 2 more lines of stitching even before it put it on . Not tight plenty of room ,sz 48. She said again they know there's a problem in the bigger sizes. It's simply a production deal.

Out of curiosity is there any chance of a photo of the back of the jacket and the damage please?

Clark J

Looks worse because I stopped at my tailor and she kind of pulled a part to figure out what the problem really was . She is very good about as good as Sellers ,, she thinks it needs more stitching i.e another row.

Attachments

• 84721B66-BBD6-43C2-B528-2934CD6C9FBC.jpeg
    84721B66-BBD6-43C2-B528-2934CD6C9FBC.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 145

Clark J

I'm going to try one more and she's going to over stitch the top and then add 2 more rows. Hope it works.

Micawber

Looks worse because I stopped at my tailor and she kind of pulled a part to figure out what the problem really was . She is very good about as good as Sellers ,, she thinks it needs more stitching i.e another row.

Aha! Not where I was expecting. If I were you I'd ask your tailor to open that neck seam and add a strip a decent material between the shell and the collar, then remake the join. Go steady on the additional lines of stitching as too many stitch holes in too small an area can weaken the fabric. She will know best in that regard.

ausreenactor

Have to start a RTJ forum? Repro Tanker Jackets?

Got an invite from Sean Collins to his "Vintage Leather Flight Jackets", later "Vintage Flight Jackets" FB page. Declined the invite. The posts on the VFJ page are all repro patches oddly enough? Perhaps "Fake Leather and Original Patches" or FLOP?

B-Man2

The Wright Patterson AF Museum has several Tanker jackets that went up up and away..and were also worn by a few P 38 lightening pilot as well.
05C14247-7D70-4327-A840-D71CE232EF31.jpeg

Last edited: