• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At the movies

bob capa

one more i saw, but dont have a pic of is at the end of teen wolf during the basketball game there is dude wearing an A2 or some A2 style jacket

check it out

marco77

Corey said:
Space Cowboys! :D

clint_eastwood1.jpg

I think ELC made it for the movie ...............

wop54

Have you seen the TV Movie "The Stand" from a Stephen King's novel? Stu Redman (main character - actor Gary Sinise) wears a nice A2 (Cooper?)
stand69.jpg

hairpin151

Perhaps the best collection of CBI A-2's I've ever seen in a movie was in "China Doll" starring Victor Mature,BW of course.You guys need to check that one out,great jackets!

capt71

johnwayne said:
Sam Shepard in The Right Stuff I seem to recall is not a good A2 at all - I'm sure there's a back seam going on plus too chunky woolen cuffs!! However I think some of the extras have the real thing - maybe they were genuine flyers at Edwards AFB?
Cheers
Wayne
You are correct about the extras at Edwards--a good friend (still living), who flew with my father in WW2, was stationed at Edwards when the filming was going on. He said they used real USAF enlisted men as extras in the opening funeral scene and in several of the scenes at Edwards, on the flightline (around the B-29 and X-1). He was in several of those scenes. Don't know about the scenes in the Happy Bottom Riding Club. BTW, he said that Royal Dano (the Preacher), was a real boozer on and off the set and was actually half drunk (more than half, from what he told me) during that opening funeral scene where he sang.
Bill

better duck

Just bought and watched "The Best Years of our Lives" from 1946. Great film, won seven Oscars back then.
Here's a link to a most impressive scene from the movie, where Dana Andrews, playing the role of Fred, a bombardier from the Eight Air Force, just back from the ETO and having trouble adjusting to civilian life again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU0d3DVcKoY

Especially start watching 1'50" into the movie, where he wanders around an airplane graveyard and boards a derelict B17.

Would his A2 be a Rough Wear?

smoos

That collar sure looks 18091-ish to me. Epaulet looks like it could be RW, too.

Also looks like it might be goat, which could further support 18091, but the resolution on my monitor isn't good enough to tell for sure. Anyone care to venture a guess on the hide?

I watched the scene the first time with the sound off. It's pretty moving that way.

grommet

One of my favorite actors, Robert Cummings in Alfred Hitchock's Sabotuer

imagesCA6EN8DF.jpg

4701613768_3ce8c8f1d9_m1.jpg

From Wikipedia: "In November 1942, Cummings joined the United States Army Air Corps.[10] During the war he served as a flight instructor.[4][7] Cummings had worked as a flight instructor for many years prior to the war.[7] He was, in fact, the first certified flight instructor in the United States, having gained certification in 1938.[7] After the war, Cummings served as a pilot in the United States Air Force Reserve."

better duck

smoos said:
That collar sure looks 18091-ish to me. Epaulet looks like it could be RW, too. Also looks like it might be goat, which could further support 18091

No goat. In other scenes from the movie you get a good look at the jacket, and it is not goat. Anybody knows how to get a frame from a movie at YouTube?

Jaguar46

better duck said:
smoos said:
That collar sure looks 18091-ish to me. Epaulet looks like it could be RW, too. Also looks like it might be goat, which could further support 18091

No goat. In other scenes from the movie you get a good look at the jacket, and it is not goat. Anybody knows how to get a frame from a movie at YouTube?

BestOfOurLives2.jpg

BestOfOurLives.jpg

BestOfOurLives1.jpg

cmk-2

On my DVD and big screen TV you can see the holes in the leather where there was a name strip and a round squardon patch. The BEST veiw and sound of this A-2 is when Fred Dairy is putting his jacket on at his father's house. When he puts his arm in the sleeve the sound of the jacket is fantasic! It's hard to discribe if you not a jacket guy but you can tell the jacket has not been broken-in yet. Which is odd since it had a patch and name strip on it at one time.